IGNORED

Tents?? Camp Gear??

Firefight911

Looking to see what you are using for a tent while you are on the bike. OK, that doesn't sound right and it would look funny!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif Riding around on a bike with a tent! How would you see? Sheesh!

Anyway, bad jokes aside (I am known for them!!!), what tent do you use and WHY?

Also, groundcloth or no grouncloth and why?

Vestibule or not?

Things to look for, be aware of, and avoid?

Any help here would be great.

The UN is a comin' and if I expect to do the riding I plan on, camping will be required so that cost does not cut the trip short.

Other associated camp gear that you use, etc. would be helpful, such as a Jet Boil, cookware, Kermit chair, etc.

Thanks in advance!! wave.gifwave.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I have been using the Eureka 3xt for about 10 years and swear by it. I have been in rain storms, gotten up the next morning in 2" of water outside and none in the tent. It stays up in wind storms, wears well, and they stand by their lifetime guarantee on the poles. Replaced two at no cost! Eureka 3XT thumbsup.gif

check out the "big agnes" line of bags. pad slides in...kinda unique and very functional per the reviews i've read. i'm looking for a new set up for moto camping as well. leaning towards the big agnes for a new bag.

There's no end of good tents out there, from cheap to pricey.

My latest tent has a generous vestible, and I love it. I can't imagine going back to tenting wothout one. If it's raining I sit in my Kermit chair in the vestible and read, there's plenty of light from a window, and I just keep the vestible door open and enjoy the water-show. It's a good place to enjoy a stogie too, keeps the 'skeeters away!

Hi,

Get over to an REI store(lots in CA) and look over tents,have them set a few up for you,

Also look at REI's website and their online outlet too.

Lots of a year or two old tents that are now not current do to minor design changes,color changes,etc.All on sale at good prices.

For two of you,actually look at a 3 person tent.Tent manufacturers tend to be optomistic about capacity.You will want the room to stretch out and for the gear.Also look for a large vestibule to keep wet/dirty gear and boots covered,all those things you don't want in the tent.

Yes,get a fitted groundsheet,if nothing better,it prolongs the life of the tent floor by protecting it from abrasion,moisture,sharp things.

Get a self supporting tent that's fast to setup.An external clip system is the fastest,continuous sleeves for the poles are next.

Look for a tent with good ventilation,no fun waking up with soggy things in the AM due to condensation.

Full coverage rainfly and a good high tub(lower portion of the tent reinforced for water resistance) are things to look for.Also look at how the tent breaks down and how packable it will be.Weight is not a great concern,unless you plan to backpack.

Big Agnes pads and bagsthumbsup.gif

JR356

My camp gear consists of:

- Coleman tent (<$125)

- Kermit Chair (not sure how I lasted on those other cheap POS)

- Premus camp stove (went with ready-filled fuel canister) I would have done the Jetboil except I gotta have a place to cook my breakfast as well.

- Titanium cook pot (got suckered in by REI salesman - what do I care about weight on a motorcycle??)

- French Press coffee pot that doubles as a coffee cup (gotta have my coffee)

- Army issue sleeping bag I've had for years...it works, packs small into my top case and keeps me warm)

- Therma rest pad (albeit I think I'll get a thicker one this year)

Oh and remember, you gotta pack all this stuff on a bike PLUS your clothes (Helen2Wheels), spares, etc. While weight is not likely a big consideration, for us, SPACE is. Everything I mentioned above is packed on this bike (including 3 days of clothes change)

74548802-L.jpg

Regards,

Mike O

While you're doing your research, you should do a search on the www.advrider.com site...LOTS of knowledgable discussions/opinions of sleeping bag, tent and cook stove choices.

Having done a fair amount of backpacking in years gone by, I will offer this small bit of advice. Make sure that whatever type of tent you buy has a good waterproof fly and sufficient space to sit up/get dressed. A night is a cheap, leaky tent can be a truly miserable experience. <DAMHIKT> dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

My guess is that you'll get many, many replies, along with just as many opinions as to what is 'the best'. Personally, I use backpacking-type gear for camping. Not for it's light weight, but for packing size. I don't take cooking gear. It takes up a lot of room, and I'd prefer to just let someone else at the diner do it.

For a tent, I've had good luck with my MSR Zoid 1.5 . It was a bit pricey, but you can find them on sale, as well as used if you look. It packs up to about 4" x 16". It's not free-standing, but so far that hasn't proved an issue for me.

It has a good vestibule area.. a desireable feature. You can store your "I don't want it wet, or in the tent with me" stuff during inclement weather, or when heavy dew is likley. It is definitely just a 1-person tent, with just enough room to sit up in, turn around, etc. but no more. Here's a photo of mine set up at a rally last summer:

chezbunning.jpg

I use a footprint to protect the bottom of my tent. It is lightweight and was made for this tent, but realistically, a sheet of plastic dropcloth would work just as well.

My other camp gear consists of a self-inflating sleep pad from Thermarest (a full size), a good down bag, and a head-lamp. It all fits into a waterproof duffle from Helen Two-Wheels. Although not a particularly good photo for this, you can see the packed duffle sitting in front of my topcase here:

alpine.jpg

I have been known to through a cheapie fold-up chair on top as well, but I have ended up staying in campgrounds that have picnic tables most of the time, and end up not using it. A couple of times, I've purchased one en-route for $5-$6, used it a couple of nights, then given it away to another rider (with request for them to do the same) and that way I don't have to pack it home.

A piece of Tyvek works great as a ground cloth thumbsup.gif

(Just make sure to "break it in").

A Sierra Stove is a novel (albeit a bit messy) way to cook (tho I've only used it for boiling water).

Obviously you need access to wood when/where you cook.

I always tell people there is no perfect tent. That's the easiest way to explain my collection. I usually have a good sized tent as I like to toss things around inside. As for brands I have/had Eureka, L.L.Bean, Hillary, American Family Camper, Kelty, and Winnebago. I often buy several tents each year and donate them as prizes at cycle rallies. I bought 2 Eureka Tetragon 9 units this morning at a Dunhams Sports on sale for $84.99 each. Last year I bought the "new" Timberline 4 for giveaways. I often use a Eureka Tetragon 8 for myself. It weighs 9.5 lbs, sets up fast, easy, and always keeps me dry. When my SO goes along I use the L.L. Bean or a Tetragon 9 for the extra room and height. I always place a plastic moisture barrier under tent. Only have a vestibule for the L.L. Bean and seldom use it. I sometimes take a rain fly set-up instead with the other tents. I prefer and recommend tents with no pole sleeves and having clip attachments. You can checkout Eureka's Factory outlet for specials and deals on returns and blems for bargains also. www.eurekatent.com

Tetragon 8 set-up pic attached

814652-IMG_0843.jpg.90a122c6c719f524f0eaf7886ddd9a9f.jpg

Phil baby..

Check out REI in Sac, they have the good backpacking stuff in all sizes, shapes, costs..Plus you have the ability to talk to a knowledgeable salesperson AND if by chance you use what you have purchased and are NOT satisfied, you have the ability to return at NO expense. Just save orig packing materials.

I use a 4 pound two person tent, North Face, rain fly, small vestb, and I sealed all seams myself with waterproofing. This is a backpack tent, assembles in 5 mins

and packs small.

My bags are synth just in case I blow it and get stuff wet. They still retain insul values but are heavier than down products.

Small packable sleeping pad (pers pref) does the job.

Good luck,

Mark.

Personally, I just use backpacking stuff as the goals are mostly the same.

I'm a HUGE fan of pretty much every Mountain Hardwear product - and tents are definitely included in that. (I have a trango 3.1 Arch which is WAY overkill for motorcycling, so I'm considering others).

IMHO, I'd consider any really light weight backpacking tent. However, since I'm also pretty cheap (cool.gif) I tend to keep an eye on sierratradingpost.com. It's really easy (ask me if you get to that point and can't find one) to find a 20% off coupon at fatwallet or the like, so keep that in mind.

Consider this one as well as it's not far off the price of the one you mentioned.

It may not seem like it's that important to keep the weight down, (and it's not THAT important) but the packed size is. If you can cut the size in half, that's just that much more stuff you can carry - or not. My MHW trango (incl ground cover and fly - the reason I bring them is that I take care of my tents) fits in one side case along with a 40° synthetic bag but the poles won't fit in a side case and just barely fit in my e52 (but I never carry them there because they don't fit "well"). I also have a Therm-a-rest Prolite sleeping pad. I have a 3, but the 4's are a half inch thicker and sleeping pads have never been a big deal to me. It's pretty amazing how small these things compact. (They don't come with a stuff sack which I think is needed and about $10 more. Oh, and don't forget the patch kit... I don't think a stop-n-go will work on these).

If you get a camp stove, get a multi-fuel one so you can use unleaded gasoline. As long as you are carrying fuel, they may as well be able to "back up" one another. Since you have a back up source, you don't need a huge fuel bottle.

Cookware is cookware - I don't personally think you need to worry about it being Titanium as the weight savings for a motorcycle is minimal.

If it's both you and HJ (not to be confused with NJ) in the tent, I'd look at a 2+ or 3 person tent. Yes, you love each other, but there are times that that extra space is nice. tongue.gif

Random other thoughts:

A small (think 1-2oz) dish soap bottle is nice for dishes.

Microfiber towels are nice if you're showering at KOA's or the like.

Anyway, bad jokes aside (I am known for them!!!), what tent do you use and WHY?

Haven't had a chance to buy one yet, but I want to get one of these.

It is somewhat limiting, I know, but when there's a desire to travel light, it's hard to beat. grin.gif

I have been using the Eureka 3xt for about 10 years and swear by it. I have been in rain storms, gotten up the next morning in 2" of water outside and none in the tent. It stays up in wind storms, wears well, and they stand by their lifetime guarantee on the poles. Replaced two at no cost! Eureka 3XT thumbsup.gif

Michael,

We're fixing to buy the 3 XTA. What do you use for a footprint/groundcloth? So far, I haven't seen one made specifically for it. Thanks

Sarah

Good advice so far. Here are a few thoughts:

-Always use a ground cloth or footprint. As mentioned above, Tyvek's a great ground cloth (though a little crinkly until it's broken in), as are those cheapie reinforced plastic tarps you can buy at any hardware store. If you're making your own ground cloth, make sure to cut it to slightly smaller than the dimensions of your tent, or it will funnel rain water underneath the tent.

-Vestibules: A "must-have," in my opinion. It gives you a place to store wet and dirty stuff (like boots) out of the elements, but also outside your tent, which you'll want to keep clean.

-Basic Design: Make sure you buy a self-supporting design, instead of a tent that requires staked lines to maintain its shape. There aren't many of the latter still being sold, but you don't want one . . . unless you like the idea of wearing your tent in a storm. dopeslap.gif The more poles the tent uses, the more rigid and resistant to wind forces it will be; however, it will also take more time to set up. The designs that use pole clips, as opposed to sleeves, are somewhat faster to set up, but it's not a huge difference

-Sizing: For motorcycle travel, buy a slightly larger capacity tent than you'll need. For example, if you need a tent for two, buy a "three-man" tent. Packing size and weight, while important, are not as critical when you're hauling the tent on your bike, instead of in a backpack. Also, if you're going to have two people in your tent, it's nice to have two doors. That way, one person doesn't have to crawl over the other to get out of the tent.

-Sources: REI and Campmor are good sources. I've been happiest with my North Face and REI brand tents. The REI brand tents seem to be a little less expensive than comparable quality tents from the big-name manufacturers.

-Preparing your tent for use: Even when the manufacturer doesn't specify it, I alway use seam sealer on my tents. It's a small expenditure of time and money for the added insurance against sleeping in a puddle.

BluesTraveler

That tent your looking into, I just sold mine to a friend for $50. Was supprised when I saw the picture. Its a nice tent but requires about 20 tent stakes to setup. Don't remember who I bought it from but remember 4 of us geting a deal ($86) from some store up in B.C. Canada.

After 4-5 tents I finally found the tent for me. Its made by Mountain Hardware and called a Wedge 3. It was a little pricy but I finally figured out after many tents you get what you pay for. REI is a GREAT place for buying a tent. If it doesn't workout take it back and try another. After 3 tents from REI I found the one that worked.

Ground cloth/foot print: Yes, you will want to put something under your tent. If it ever rains you will know why plus it makes the bottom of your tent last a lot longer.

Someone mentioned Big Agnes sleeping bags, this is what Im using now. Mine is one of there Park Series bags with an insulated aircore mattress. The mattress slides into a pocket on the bottom of the bag. I favor rolling over inside the bag rather then the bag rolling over with you. It seems more like a bed to me than a sleeping bag.

ADVriders and antother motocampers are great places to see what others are using for camping off there motorcycles.

For pictures of my gear look in my webshot below in my signature. There are many pictures off what I've ended up using after trying many differant things.

My philosophy on tents used for bike rallies is:

- Lotsa room is better than light weight. I use a 4-man Kelty for me solo.

- Height is nice to have as it allows you to have a net storage "shelf" and can help in ventilation.

-Vestibule is nice, and if the tent is small, it is essential.

- Two entrances or 1 door & 1 window are nice for ventilation.

- For ease of set-up, the fewer the sets of poles, the better.

- Ten no-bend tent stakes are worth 100 cheap aluminum stakes.

- The widest and thickest Thermarest is well worth the $.

- Can't hurt to have a ground cloth. One designed to fit the tent will likely be easier to set-up and pack to a small size.

- I'd look to REI for a purchase. Their store brand tents are great values, especially if you catch it on sale.

+1 for Mountain Hardware. Lisa and I have camped at least 100 nights in ours over the last 5 years, along with two dogs and it has held up magnificently. The only problems are 1) the dog decided to add another door by ripping through the screen one night. 2) We put it up too close to the campfire one time and glowing embers burned a few small holes in the cover.

Both user error. dopeslap.gif The tent is great and I will buy another. thumbsup.gif

Also +1 for www.campmor.com I've bought stuff from them several times at great prices.

+2 for Mountain Hardwear, if I were looking for a new motorcycling tent now, I'd be looking at this from campmor. Two vestibles/doors so you don't have to climb over your boots and helmet to get in, under 5lbs and packs to 5x18". If you pack the poles separately, you could probably stuff the tent down to 6x12 or so. It's last years style but it's priced competitively with lesser brands.

I like room. I have a Timberland 4 person tent with a vestibule that I take with or without my wife. I don't fold and neatly place everything in the tent when I take it off, and I want a place to hang out if I want privacy or if there is a day of rain. I feel that if I am not comfortable and sleep comfortably, I am not a happy camper. I shop a lot on line, especially here by finding out what is the best and best for me, I then save my money and then buy. Buy right the first time and save time and money.

I am in the same boat as Phil. I just purchased a tent, had it set up in the garage last night to seal the seams when I noticed they were already sealed by what looks like tape? Has anyone seen this on thier tent?

I also looked into a Kermit chair (via this thread) DANG that chair is expensive!! I dont know if I can pony out the dough for that. After buying a Bike, riding gear and other bike farkles the only thing my wife will let my buy now to sit on is a wooden pole. blush.gif

Are there any other chair options?

Kermit is the most compact sturdy camp chair out there. Understand the chairs are pricey, but they're worth it in my view.

There are always cheaper chairs, but in my experience, they are not as durable and bulkier to pack. On the other hand, one can throw away a lot of $5 chairs before one approaches the cost of a Kermit.

Another critical factor is the drink holder of the Kermit stays vertical when the chair is assembled but folded for carrying. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Kermit is the most compact sturdy camp chair out there. Understand the chairs are pricey, but they're worth it in my view.

There are always cheaper chairs, but in my experience, they are not as durable and bulkier to pack. On the other hand, one can throw away a lot of $5 chairs before one approaches the cost of a Kermit.

Another critical factor is the drink holder of the Kermit stays vertical when the chair is assembled but folded for carrying. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Hey SageRider do you have an extra "Benjamin" that you could spare? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hey SageRider do you have an extra "Benjamin" that you could spare? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Gulp... Not now... Sorry... grin.gif

I wasn't happy about the cost when I bought my first Kermit chair, $49.95, or the price of my second one at $59.95, and when I bought the long-legged model in 1995 for a whopping $69.95 I was in shock! Sort of like the ad/commercial today, pay me now or pay me MORE later! grin.gif

All the chairs are as good as new today as when I bought them and I wouldn't part with any of them, even for todays prices.

I am in the same boat as Phil. I just purchased a tent, had it set up in the garage last night to seal the seams when I noticed they were already sealed by what looks like tape? Has anyone seen this on thier tent?

Sure. Lots of tent makers seal them at the factory. Check the specs - it will say something like "taped seams", "sealed seams", "seam sealed" or something like that.

Jim

Yeeha! Stephen

-Always use a ground cloth or footprint.

-Vestibules: A "must-have,"

-Sources: I've been happiest with my North Face and REI brand tents.

- I alway use seam sealer on my tents. It's a small expenditure of time and money for the added insurance against sleeping in a puddle.

What Mike said thumbsup.gif

I use a North Face Roadrunner, because it's mostly Screen. It's got 2 doors and has a full vestibule on both sides that goes all the way to the ground.

I bought the footprint ground cloth for it, but never use it. I buy the rolls of Painters Drop Cloths and just tear one off at each stop. Trash it when I pack up and tear off another at the next stop. Don't have to pack a wet, muddy, grimey, ground cloth grin.gif

1094169.jpg

1094217.jpg

Finally bought my own Kermit Chair last year, and quit bumming other people's chairs. crazy.gif

Silly me, but I carry a real, full size pillow with me too. Gotta have my "Nee-Nee" pillow. eek.gif

The UN is a comin' and if I expect to do the riding I plan on, camping will be required so that cost does not cut the trip short.

You mean you gonna make your wifey sleep on the ground? frown.gif

Bad Santa... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

LL Bean Type in "Tents" at the search function.

After much searching I got an Ultra Dome #4 tent. Holds four persons or just me and all my gear I should not be hauling. It does it with ease. Fits in a Helen tent bag.

I can fit the tent, a Kermit chair, sleeping bag/thermarest and a clothes bag all on my Roadster.

All that stuff is probably why I need the bigger tent. dopeslap.gif

I have a new L.L. Bean that I got last fall. I had sent them the rain fly from my 9 year old L.L. Bean dome tent because it started to leak. Re-applying seam sealer didn't work either. I was hoping to buy a new rain fly as the tent was still performing perfectly. They said the rain fly was not repairable and that they had no new ones for replacement as they had changed the style of their tents. They sent me a shipping label and had me send in the rest of my 9 year old tent, at which time they sent me a brand new tent FREE. I never expected that!

+1 on the LLBean dome tents. Free standing, Two doors, fiberglass or aluminum poles, reasonable price. Two doors make for good ventilation and ease of access. Never use ground cloth, but use internal plastic or space blanket. Water always gets between external ground cloth and tent bottom and your pressure on inside forces water into tent. As long as you don't pitch tent in valley, water running off tent soaks into ground. If you have any seam leaks, or zipper leaks, the internal space blanket or plastic keeps sleeping pad and bag dry. If I were to use an external ground cloth, it would be of permeable canvass so that water soakes through it but it would keep the bottom of my tent clean when packing up. I never use external ground cloth and stay dry.

He has been too busy scouring big fish tanks looking for a moto for Hot Jamie to be worried about camping stuff!

Don't distract him you goofy Canuck!

He has been too busy scouring big fish tanks looking for a moto for Hot Jamie to be worried about camping stuff!

Don't distract him you goofy Canuck!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

...I also looked into a Kermit chair (via this thread) DANG that chair is expensive!! I dont know if I can pony out the dough for that. ...Are there any other chair options?
I hear you on the Kermit, great chair, but very pricey. I came across one of these sling chairs for around $30 from GCI Outdooors and have found it fits the bill for travel perfectly and is very comfortable, easy to set up too. The chair fits in a very small nylon case that is included. And, with a 275# load limit, I have room to grow into it. grin.gif

Here's my ultralight camping gear. It packs real small, weighs next to nothing, is good for short/long trips and is very reliable.

SMD Lunar Solo Tent = 27 oz

Western Mountaineering Highlite Bag = 16 oz

Golite Jam = 21 oz

Gossamer Gear Nightlite Torso Pad = 4 oz

Total weight of tent + bag + pack + pad = 68 oz = 4 lbs 4 oz clap.gif And all this stuff takes only about 800 ci in the backpack or motorcycle bag.

If you want more details about ultralight camping, check out the ultralight forum on WhiteBlaze or pm me.

Sorry I forgot on my earlier post I use Helen Two Wheels bags I have been caught in frog strangler rain storms and my sleeping bag stayed dry. I have her wet garmet bag so if no rain item are dry when you arrive. Tent bag holds tent, pegs, poles, and drop cloth. thumbsup.gif

I came across one of these sling chairs for around $30 from GCI Outdooors and have found it fits the bill for travel perfectly and is very comfortable, easy to set up too. The chair fits in a very small nylon case that is included. And, with a 275# load limit, I have room to grow into it. grin.gif
At 180 I shouldn't have had a problem then with mine - just 5 days of use and it's abrading the fabric through in the sling where it rubs against the frame and end pieces that don't always lock in place leaving me falling over. I wouldn't spend the $ on it again.

Jim

Here's my ultralight camping gear. It packs real small, weighs next to nothing, is good for short/long trips and is very reliable.

Golite Jam = 21 oz

Nice looking setup.

Why the Jam pack while on the bike? Just curious.

I came across one of these sling chairs for around $30 from GCI Outdooors and have found it fits the bill for travel perfectly and is very comfortable, easy to set up too. The chair fits in a very small nylon case that is included. And, with a 275# load limit, I have room to grow into it. grin.gif

Hey Greg.

What would you say are the packing dimensions of that chair? It looks great.

Phil did you come up with anything yet?????? wave.gif

Nothing purchased yet!

Man!!!!! Choices, choices, choices!!!!!

Looks like I am going to have to peruse all the wonderful posts to this thread now that I have finished turning over the barnacles in Monterey!! grin.gif

Hmmmm, where to begin . . .

Looks like I get to go back to one of my favorite stores, REI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Archived