IGNORED

Anybody have a Kermit Chair?

Braveman

I'm thinking of getting a Kermit Chair for an upcoming camping trip. Are they as wonderful as everyone says? How do they pack on a bike? Is it worth the $$?

welcome.gif

You can get a $20-60 chair at a good camping store like REI, but there's something kinda unique about a Kermit chair. They are no longer made by Kermit Easterling, but they are still made here in town, and I know the new owners and had breakfast today with the guy who machines the hardware (I have no affiliation with any of them).

Kermit Easterling is a BMW rider (has four high mileage ones at current count), and lives in Pleasanton, TN, about 100 miles from here. The chairs are kind of legendary. When I got mine, I had never met the guy, but instead of having him ship it to me, it was an unusually warm day when he called to say that it was ready and so I rode over there to pick it up and get a tour of his "plant" (really an expanded garage). Kermit and his wife did all the work.

He'd been making them for 10 years, and had sold 7,000 of them to riders (probably many of you). They are made of oak, stainless steel, aluminum, nylon, and cordura. Here's a picture of mine:

chairtoplarge.jpg

The wood is oak, which is bought green and ages for at least 6 months--I saw the piles. The aluminum parts are sanded and then "tumbled" in an old cement mixer to make them smooth. The finish is a particular kind of polyurethane. They actually look a little flimsy until you put one together yourself (about a 30 second job, with no tools required). The workmanship is 9 on a scale of 10--pretty impressive:

chairworkmanshiplarge.jpg

Sitting lower makes it harder to get in and out of the chair, but the ground almost acts like a footrest. If you want to sit up higher, you can get a "leg extension" kit for $20, which raises it another 7 inches or so. The four pieces just slip on the legs. The extensions are well made, but they will mark up the legs in time:

chairextensionlarge.jpg

It's just as quick to take it apart, too, and slides into its own cordura case (23 inches long). The whole outfit, in the case, weighs just under 5 lbs.

chaircaselarge.jpg

The cordura comes in various colors. I can't remember which ones, though he suggested I go with black to hide the dirt. He didn't monogram them, but all I had to do was send my order to Ray Danley (4683 Birch Ridge Trail, Stone Mountain, GA, 30083, 770/593-1852, nammu@msn.com). I don't know if he's still doing them, but at the time he kept a supply of cloth on hand, and would monogram the seat back and the case for $10 each chair (plus $5 shipping). You had to specify block or cursive letters. He did it and sent them directly to the chair people, who mounted it on the frame. He's also the guy who can repair any cloth that needs it over time.

There you have it. Handcrafted in the backwoods of Tennessee.

Best damn camping chair I ever purchased. Had mine for 7 years and still looks like the day I bought it. Folds down small and compact. I highly recommned it. clap.gif

if for nothing else, then because they're made in the US.

It packs real easy on a bike. Comes in it's own "tent-like" stuff sack. Got mine for Christmas, so I haven't had a chance to really use it, but it's great for reading in my office while the snow's flying.

Like I said, it's one of the few things you can buy today made here. Plus, most of the chairs I was looking at are real cheap looking.

It's a great chair. I won one at last year's European Riders Rally in Burkesville, Ky. (it was the grand prize in their raffle). While it easy to strap on somewhere, it doesn't fit in the RT's side or top cases.

Okay David, you convinced me !!! thumbsup.gif

Who & how do I contact the current manufacturers to find out about aquiring a kermit chair and the how much it will cost me?

Okay David, you convinced me !!! thumbsup.gif

Who & how do I contact the current manufacturers to find out about aquiring a kermit chair and the how much it will cost me?

David, I don't know, actually! They might have a web site now, though they didn't then. But I think they run a small ad in ON. Maybe someone will help out here.

Here's the address as well

Kermit Chair Co.

1904 Skyview Dr.

Centerville, TN 37033

• 10 months later...

Kermit Chair Website (direct)

Specifications

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

SEATING SURFACE: SLING TYPE WITH BACK AND ARM RESTS

SETUP/PACK: LESS THAN 1 MINUTE WITH NO SMALL LOOSE PARTS

WEIGHT CAPACITY: 350 LB – TESTED TO OVER 750 LB

PACKED SIZE: 4" BY 6" BY 22"

SEAT HEIGHT: APPROX. 11.5"

WEIGHT: APPROX. 5.3 LB

WARRANTY: 5 YEARS COVERING FUNCTION

MATERIALS: OAK FRAME COATED WITH MARINE FINISH, 2/3 LB OF ALUMINUM PLATES & BARS, NUTS & BOLTS OF STAINLESS STEEL,

COVERS & BAG MADE OF 1000 DENIER NYLON PACK CLOTH

COLORS: FOREST GREEN, BURGUNDY, BLACK & NAVY

ALL CHAIRS HAVE BLACK BAGS

ACCESSORIES: LEG EXTENSIONS RAISE SEAT HEIGHT TO 17.5”

FORMED ALUMINUM TUBES WITH RUBBER TIPS

PACKED IN A BLACK BAG 9.5" BY 3.5" BY 3.5"

EMBROIDERY: NAMES AVAILABLE IN BLOCK & SCRIPT STYLES,

MOTOMAN ALSO AVAILABLE

PRICES:

TOURING CHAIR $119

LEG EXTENSIONS $25 PER SET

SHIPPING TO LOWER 48 STATES:

TOURING CHAIR: $8 PLUS $6 EACH ADDITIONAL

LEG EXTENSIONS PER SET: $6 PLUS $4 EACH ADDITIONAL OR $4 EACH WITH CHAIR ORDER

OTHER STATES/COUNTRIES: ACTUAL SHIPPING QUOTED BY ORDER

PAYMENT: CHECK, CASH, MONEY ORDER, VISA & MASTERCARD

I stopped by their place outside of Nashville just before Christmas and picked up a green one. Good people to do business with. Not cheap but worth every penny. Only problem is getting it away from my wife. If in doubt, just get it and you'll not be sorry.

I don't have one but I was at the GA Mountain rally a few years ago and it was one of the give aways for the drawing, along with a Roadcrafter jacket and a Garmin GPS all the way down to t-shirts and ear plugs. The Kermit chair was the like the third thing picked.

IMO, which may not be worth much, they are grossly overpriced. You can buy a tripod stool, or camp chair for under $10 at alot of places. They are light, comfortable enough to sit around a camp fire telling lies and drinking beer, and if they break, you throw it away and buy another one. I have used a tripod seat for 3 seasons now, and have a folding camp chair used for off and on for 5 yrs now. Individual taste is just that though. IMO.

I've had mine a few years, and it is a fine camping chair. Packs small, sits big! Something new.... they're making a drink holder that clamps to the side of the front leg. Keeps ones brew from getting kicked over, if you know what I mean!

Mike

Well, they aren't likely to get cheaper. I thought I paid too much for mine when I bought them years ago. That $59.95 isn't looking so bad now!

they are grossly overpriced. You can buy a tripod stool, or camp chair for under $10

Yeah, but...

I'll sit my old fart's butt in my Kermit for hours longer than you kin on yours. Kermit chairs are without a doubt one of the most comfortable little chairs in the world. They are CHEAP by my calculations...though mine was only $85.00 a few years back. If you can get past the sticker-shock, GO FOR IT!

At the MOA rally in Spokane last summer, the new owners had a display outside and were selling them for either $90 or $100, and they also had a prototype of a folding table, which was a bit smaller than the chair, and it looked cool. 2 days into the rally, I think he was sold out of the chairs and was taking orders. You really can't compare the Kermit chair to a tripod stool.. you can't drink as much beer and still balance on a tripod!! thumbsup.gif

Okay, this one makes me feel compelled to respond. MAYBE AN AMATEUR CAN'T STILL BALANCE ON A TRIPOD! MAYBE YOU SHOULD STAY ON THE PORCH!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

AdventurePoser

They are wonderful chairs, but are very heavy for their size. For us, that is an issue because we travel two up and camp from our R1150RT.

Still, they are wonderful camping chairs. We wouldn't do without ours, even though the additional ten pounds is not fun!

Cheers,

Steve

No disrespect, I don't even own a Kermit chair, but I don't own another type either,but I have investigated where some other types are made. Made in USA hopefully still stands for something positive. If I was in the market I'd pay what is asked for a quality item domestically made versus a chinese or other asian made product, I'm lucky I have the resources to do that I suppose. I really miss having a choice of products (in general) that are made in the USA versus other places. It's getting to the point where you don't have a choice. WalMart is the made in China king and that is a pity. I don't mean to hijack anything or take the thread into a new direction but I felt an urge to say my peace.

I 'm a self confessed folding chair addict, having tried or bought just about every type of chair I could stuff on the back of my bikes. I always have a chair on the back and use it frequently. I do have a Kermit chair and admire its beauty, finish, and style--but it doesn't do the job for me and I use it rarely. Kermit problems: 1. heavy 2. assembly and disassembly time 3. pieces and parts to get lost, broken, need to pack 4. too low to ground--it's a chore to get up and down (I know there are leg extensions--more pieces and parts) 5. canvas and wood construction (I'm tough on gear)

So far, the Roll-A-Chair fits my bill better than anything else I've tried on a bike. It weighs 2.5 lbs, has no pieces and parts, made of high grade thick wall large dia Al pipe and cordura nylon, no assembly, full chair height, good lumbar support, packs to a light small, short pachkage. Only problem: no arms.

Oh, BTW it is made in the USA also--Spokane WA. I've found it at some camping places and also direct, but not sure if he's selling direct anymore. www.campmor.com has 'em at about $25 a pop. I've no connection with the manufacturer or any dealers etc.

They're not gorgeous, but really work well.

Dave

Archived