IGNORED

Tail light best place to hook in a relay?

RoSPA_man

Hi

If I want to have a 'switched with ignition' accessory distribution block, I need to hook a relay to an ignition controlled power wire. Under the seat, I guess tapping into the tail light would be best? Or is there a simpler way to activate a relay? Thanks

Hi

If I want to have a 'switched with ignition' accessory distribution block, I need to hook a relay to an ignition controlled power wire. Under the seat, I guess tapping into the tail light would be best? Or is there a simpler way to activate a relay? Thanks

If you did not get the additional power socket the connector for it lives under the seat somewhere - sorry I have no more detail than that - or you could just tap into the power socket if you got it.

Andy

I just did this very thing a few days ago. I first tapped the taillight wire, and the relay went bananas, buzzing with what I assume was constant opening and closing of the relay switch. I checked the voltage to the tail lamp, and it was less than four volts. I then tapped into the rear accessory hot wire, and all was well.

The tail lamp wire is the usual and obvious place to fire a relay, but for some reason it didn't work for me.

Perhaps someone actually knowledgeable will come along to enlighten you.

I just did this very thing a few days ago. I first tapped the taillight wire, and the relay went bananas, buzzing with what I assume was constant opening and closing of the relay switch. I checked the voltage to the tail lamp, and it was less than four volts. I then tapped into the rear accessory hot wire, and all was well.

The tail lamp wire is the usual and obvious place to fire a relay, but for some reason it didn't work for me.

That sounds like the bike uses a single filament tail/stop light. The bulb gets a low voltage for the tail light and the full 12V for stop.

Go with the accessory socket wire.

Andy

Survived-til-now

No or NOOOOOOOO don't do that - you'll mess up the blown bulb sensing etc

Buy a "third" power outlet kit from BMW - it plugs into a spare connector located next to your pillion's outlet

Switched as per power outlet but obviously is part of the 10A load for all power outlets (or so others say)

Good for Autocom etc........

Andy

Thnaks Mark -and thanks Boffin whohas completed the loop - excuse the pun! So you must have a 2nd power socket fitted - does that mean that you can tell where it is joined to the main "loom" - I asume as it's an accessory it must be joined in somewhere obvious - but I stil haven't got my bike so I can't look- they're making it in Germany tomorrow I am told!

No or NOOOOOOOO don't do that - you'll mess up the blown bulb sensing etc

Buy a "third" power outlet kit from BMW - it plugs into a spare connector located next to your pillion's outlet

Switched as per power outlet but obviously is part of the 10A load for all power outlets (or so others say)

Good for Autocom etc........

Andy

Don't do WHAT, Andy? Tail lamp wire or acc tap? Or don't do either?

I use the blue/green wire in the diagnostic plug.

01-Fuse-block-tap.jpg

It turns on and off exactly with the key, unlike the accessory plug which can leave your accessories on for over a minute.

Also, with some battery chargers, it can cause the canbus to get confused and leave the power on while charging. This will cause you to possibly have the aux lights left on, like Motolights, so long that the battery dies because the Motolights take more power than the charger delivers.

I've seen this twice. The TT adapter fixes this.

Best bet, if you want to use the accessory plug for signal voltage, is to plug your battery charger directly to the battery.

Jim cool.gif

Survived-til-now

I suggest you do not tap into the tail/stop lamp for fear of messing up the blown bulb system and thus losing the warning that you have blown the tail bulbs

If you look closely at the rear of the aux power socket under the pillion grab rail you will find wires leading to an unused female connector. Buy a "third" aux power outlet kit from BMW (designed to put a socket on the other side of the bike) and the plug goes into the female connector left by BMW for that purpose. Cut off the spare aux outlet or keep it as you choose. The reason I didn't just cut off the spare connector was that the leads from it are very short and not very accessible......

Now you have switched power under the seat ready for whatever...... (in my case Autocom).

Andy

I suggest you do not tap into the tail/stop lamp for fear of messing up the blown bulb system and thus losing the warning that you have blown the tail bulbs

If you look closely at the rear of the aux power socket under the pillion grab rail you will find wires leading to an unused female connector. Buy a "third" aux power outlet kit from BMW (designed to put a socket on the other side of the bike) and the plug goes into the female connector left by BMW for that purpose. Cut off the spare aux outlet or keep it as you choose. The reason I didn't just cut off the spare connector was that the leads from it are very short and not very accessible......

Now you have switched power under the seat ready for whatever...... (in my case Autocom).

Andy

Thnaks Andy and everyone else for great feedback- sounds like a plan to go for your solution. One question is why is it called 3rd aux - the RT comes with one as standard or am I wrong- would that not make it therefore the 2nd - I'm not being pedantic, just curious whether there is a diffreence between 2nd and 3rd etc. Thanks again

Andy

Thnaks Andy and everyone else for great feedback- sounds like a plan to go for your solution. One question is why is it called 3rd aux - the RT comes with one as standard or am I wrong- would that not make it therefore the 2nd - I'm not being pedantic, just curious whether there is a diffreence between 2nd and 3rd etc. Thanks again

My bike has an accessory socket under the left rear seat grabrail...I think it may be an option. That makes it the "2nd" socket. The "3rd" is under the seat. I never did notice it, and just tapped the relay directly into the hot wire to the "2nd" socket. Works fine, I run the Autocom and pillion heated jacket off it, and eventually the radar detector and gps if I get them. I think the radar detector needs to come first. I find myself running along a lot faster than I did on the Goldwing...gee, I wonder why?

Andy, thanks for the clarifying reply regarding "don't do that."

Archived