IGNORED

Seeking inexpensive intercom suggestions

Nevets

I’m looking for suggestions. In the next few months, I expect to take a couple fairly long trips where it would be useful to communicate with the spouse as a passenger. While I would eventually like to implement a “full-up” Autocom system, all I really want right now is a method of communicating with her. Really can’t justify laying out too much at the moment. I’m not excited about the idea of buying something that will be “thrown out” when a full system is implemented, so I’m wondering if there is some way to buy a couple (Autocom?) stereo headsets with mics (in anticipation of buying a full setup later) and using them temporarily/simply for passenger/rider communications. Any ideas? I have an electrical engineering background, with a (long time ago) background in sound, so don’t hesitate to recommend anything that could work. I guess I should get busy looking for some used equipment also…

BTDT. And honestly, the frustration of a poor system will drive you crazy. You'll both end up with a headache and in a worse mood than if you had nothing at all.

Bite the proverbial credit card and do a good system the first time around. You won't regret it.

The "Roadmate" (W8NONU suggestion) looks about the right price range.

This Backchat Vixen one looks interesting (NO electronics!), but a little pricey.

Ken - I understand and agree, but the credit cards are already starting to bite back.

Would be nice to find an inexpensive unit that could use Autocom headsets, perhaps with a wiring adapter.

We've been using this $62 Nady MRC-X11 for the last two years with no problems. It needs a fully faired bike to be effective over 60mph. I also made a splitter to send the speaker output into the left ear of our etymotic ER-6 headphones. You will need two headsets. It only comes with one. Battery life is several 12 hour days if only used as an intercom.

BTDT. And honestly, the frustration of a poor system will drive you crazy. You'll both end up with a headache and in a worse mood than if you had nothing at all.

Bite the proverbial credit card and do a good system the first time around. You won't regret it.

Ken's right. Your point about not wanting a system that you'll have to "throw out" when the time comes to upgrade to a fully functional and expandable system makes sense. But that's pretty much what you may end up doing if you go cheap. Unfortunately, people have the impression that an Autocom system is expensive simply because it works so well. In fact, they're very affordable.

Right now you can get an Active Rider Duo system for about $349. Oh, you should be aware that prices are expected to go up any day due to the relationship between the Pound and the Dollar, so I wouldn't delay. But for this you get a VOX-controlled intercom, with side-tone, adjustable VOX, independent rider and passenger volume controls, the ability to run it off of a 9V battery or to hardwire it to your bike, plus two headsets and two helmet extension leads. The cable to connect to most popular cell phones is included as is a cable for any self-powered music source. And if you want to expand your Autocom somewhere down the road, the system is ready and waiting for you to hook up music, radar, GPS, even bike-to-bike.

Yes, $349 isn't $199. It's $150 more spent now rather than a total of $500 spent when you toss the cheap system and get what you wanted in the first place.

If you want to go an even less-expensive route, you can probably pick up an Autocom Easy Duo for around $289. Two headsets, factory preset VOX, and the ability to add devices later. You can read all about it on Autocom's website.

OK, you all have some good input. I'm wondering if the $65 Nady radio/intercom could be used as a FRS/GMRS radio with an eventual Autocom system? Hmmm....no mention of Nady on the Autocom web site.

I'd like to get an Autocom Duo system now, but if I spent the money right now, the wife would likely get mad and wouldn't speak to me. Wait, then I wouldn't need the intercom. I'm confused. eek.gif

I think I better contemplate this for a while (and do the usual gradually increasing whining, begging and embarrassing groveling until I get it). If anybody mentions my tactics in Torrey, you are dead meat…

Please, please, please don't buy a cheap intercom. They are cheap because they dont work as well as a more expensive item and you really will live to regret it... I know I did!!! There isnt much point of having it if you cant communicate with your passenger. Look on eBay for Autocom.. an active 7 or something wil suit and you can add radio/phone/GPS etc to it at a later date if you wish too. There are some real bargains to be had...

Please, please, please don't buy a cheap intercom.

I should have added that I don't think the Autocom is absolutely perfect. It's good and it's the best there is. So if the bar ain't way up high to begin with, settling for less may just be intolerable.

Bite the bullet and buy the Autocom unit. After playing around with the Chatterbox junk, it broke on the first trip out, I bought the Autocom setup. dopeslap.gif My wife thinks the autocom is the best accessory after the custom seat. Safe your money.

OK, OK, OK – I get the point. I think we have all had one or more experiences when we bought the cheapest in an attempt to save money. Why, I remember some storm windows.........never mind.

My whining/”discussion” have commenced with the wife. I expect in another week or so, the wife will be convinced it’s the best idea she has had.…Wish me luck!

thumbsup.gif

and, just so you don't get the idea that I'm a manipulative SoB, I am just kidding about the wife.

It works well.

The only problems I have with it:

Bike to bike, I think I need better quality FRS radios to solve that problem. Or maybe need to seek for a different channel. My brother sounds like he is speaking on a sidebandradio, very garbled speach.

I have a noisy helmet so I have trouble hearing others at speeds above 70 mph. Speaker placement might solve that one.

Those who call my cell phone can hear me very well. Rider to Pillion is very clear.

Of course I've never tried anything else, so autocom or baehr might be better.

When I was shopping for the unit, the Autocom and Baehr websites were totally confusing to me, and I could not understand what i needed to buy to meet my needs. The Starcom stie was very clear, so that swayed my decision. Since then both Autocom and Baehr have redone their sites so that I could now determine what would be needed.

I agree, don't buy a cheap one, A few others I ride with have done that and they regert it.

Cheers, Denny

...so don’t hesitate to recommend anything that could work.…

grin.gifgrin.gif

finally, someone who understands. unfortunately i would like to implement a stereo hookup, otherwise this seems a reasonable solution, especially since my hearing is a bit "attenuated".

I bought an Autocom when they were on sale at 1/2 price. It does what I need - let's me listen to XM on my 376C, and let's my wife call the secret phone number and see what time I will be home for dinner. I always ride solo so the intercom stuff is redundant for me, and the FRS stuff has no appeal to me or my riding buddies. (It's nice for a father of 3 young daughters to be in his own space for a few hours now and then.)

I was looking forward to replacing the Autocom with a Zumo/Nolan N-com BlueTooth set up, but as far as I can tell, apparently the Zumo doesn't broadcast the XM on BT yet, though the phone set up is far better. Guess I will wait for the next generation.

My overall opinion of motorcycle communication systems: why should they cost more than a laptop computer? All of them seem like $100 items from China to me. I can't argue though with the quality of the Autocom - works fine - but many of the necessary adapters and cables they advertise for $40+ can be found elsewhere for about $10.

... unfortunately i would like to implement a stereo hookup, otherwise this seems a reasonable solution, especially since my hearing is a bit "attenuated".

817441-c66q.jpgc66q.jpg

grin.gifgrin.gif

Archived