IGNORED

Side case lid fixes?

Penrod

I don't know how, but my side case lids are sure getting scratched and looking crappy. I've heard of taking a green scrubby to them, but can't imagine they would look good afterwards. Has anyone a "fix" for this? Although painting would fix them, then the paint would get scratched. Perhaps one of those coatings used for pick-up beds? I've seen that stuff used on the off road machines, but they have metal boxes.

Here are a couple posts from people asking the same question. I uses a fine grit sandpaper on mine for deep abrasions, and after all is said and done they look great, just shine a little more. I am very particular about how my bike looks, but the bags get treated pretty rough, especially when out camping. But whenever I get too many scratch's, I just sand them down. I would bet most people would never know when they see them. Phil

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post692387

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post676340

Laffo IBA#34115

I know how. Your passengers scratch them getting on and off. Those other people you let ride your bike, the neighborhood kids climbing all over it cause those scratches. I've personally never put a scratch on my lids either.

However, my lids show very little to none of those scratches and actually look quite good for being three years old now because I keep them coated with PLEXUS. Not only do I wipe them down with it, I spray a LIGHT mist of it on the lids and leave it there until the next time I wipe the bike down.

It works for me. YMMV

Bill

You pretty much have 3 choices. First, is to have them repainted which is not inexpensive ($200 to repaint the lid at LB BMW or $400 for a brand new one). Second, is to apply a clear film like 3M Clear Fairing Bra material which I have done. Third is to buy black R1200ST lids. I have purchased the right side so far and I am still searching for a used left side lid in good condition. This alternative is not inexpensive either. The black lids costs $168 each brand new.

the 1200 st lids will fit my 1150RT? I'm really leaning towards the costing by Rhino liner (the one that does the bedliners on pick-up trucks), that stuff is tufff! It should also look much like the original finish of the cases.

the 1200 st lids will fit my 1150RT? I'm really leaning towards the costing by Rhino liner (the one that does the bedliners on pick-up trucks), that stuff is tufff! It should also look much like the original finish of the cases.

They sell the DIY kits at Walmart if you are inclinded to do it yourself.

Has anyone tried the Walmart stuff? Some things you can DIY and get acceptable results, other times you're wasting time and money. If someone on this forum has used it and it works, that's good enough for me to use it.

Archived