IGNORED

Need help with selecting a GPS

AZKomet

I read Bamarider's post on the ZUMO..which is what I WAS leaning toward. I spoke with a rider last w/e who was less than thrilled with it for a few reasons. My question is waht else is out there that one would buy? I need a rugged all weather GPS for the bike. One that is relaible and EASY to use. I would also like to be able to transistion it to the cage if I wanted. Any ideas??? Let me know, Dave

I think the Garmin 376c is the best all around, versitile, best value for your money GPS out there right now. Its works for me in the woods, on the water, on the bike, in the car, in the house (connected to the PC...) and in the airplane providing I stay under 999 mph...

It is waterproof, has the best screen out there and runs on the battery for @ 12 hrs.

There are 2 issues that Garmin is addressing with owners as we speak, one is the problem of the screen being suseptible to hazing from cleaning with dusty/rough cloths, and the power connector breaking at the connector for the unit. I had mine complete unit replaced under warranty for the screen but no problem with the power cord. A friend had his cord replaced at no cost twice by Garmin.

Oh, and if you want XM radio and/or XM Weather intergrated in one unit, this is the one to get. Brilliant display.

Jim

I'm guessing that you are really conconcerned about EASE of USE for navigation. You are accepting that it will take a little time to learn to use the cellphone and music functions that are also built in.

The ZUMO is incredibly easy to use as simple "How do I get to place X via place Y and Z?" device. And, quite frankly, this is where most non-Garmin units stop.

The advantage of the Garmin units is that they come with Mapsource, a highly sophisticated computer-based route planning tool, that allows you to plan 2-month road trips down the narrowest roads imaginable. You don't have to start with this level of sophistication if you don't wish to.

If you are prepared to learn to get the best out of it go for the ZUMO. If you're not, then just get any waterproof device that will fit on a handlebar.

Hope this helps, but keep on asking the questions.

I don't see how any unit could be easier to learn then the zumo. If you can operate a Bank ATM you can navigate the Zumo menu. I was on the road with it less then a hour.

Because I knew zilch about GPS units, I was a little confused at the beginning. The box came with a disc, and I assumed I was gonna need it to bring the unit to life, not so.

Operating the unit itself is easy, getting the 550 to tawk to my PC via the USB was a little more difficult. I had to go to the Garmin URL and get a upgrade. I worked most of the day thinking I had a hardware problem and it was a software thing. Wasted half a day. (how many times have you heard the IT guy blame it on the software, and the software guy say its hardware)

I'm not going hunting in the woods, and I only get on boats and planes that have their OWN GPS, so 4 hour battery life is more then I'll ever use.

The unit comes with cage and bike mounts, and moving the unit from ride to ride is easy. It comes with everything you need. Stuff like AC adapter, power cord for cage, mounts.

For what WE do, a tough unit to beat. The help I received here and on the zumo board, really helped. After just a couple of days I can already create routes and waypoints download them to dl to 550.

I read Bamarider's post on the ZUMO..which is what I WAS leaning toward. I spoke with a rider last w/e who was less than thrilled with it for a few reasons. My question is waht else is out there that one would buy? I need a rugged all weather GPS for the bike. One that is relaible and EASY to use. I would also like to be able to transistion it to the cage if I wanted. Any ideas??? Let me know, Dave

I use GPS a lot.. flew planes with it, used it on boats, use it for hiking and on the bike.

Since no single unit fits all needs perfectly, I have a couple of different units. I still use my older 276C Garmin for the bike. At the time, it was one of the best choices. My 276 still serves well. It has good battery power when needed, good sized screen and I'm comfortable with it. No touch screen though, and that's a real plus on a bike.

All that said, I think that today I'd choose a Zumo if I felt the need for a new unit for the bike. Any unit will have it's idiosynchrasies but the help here and on other forums should provide any support you might need.

Just obtained my zumo yesterday. I can't wait to receive the mounting kit I ordered. Then on the bike it goes. I've played around with it yesterday and today. I couldn't be happier with it. Bluetooth to connect the cell phone. Connecting it to the Starcom, and it even holds MP3s.

Frankly, I'm new to GPS - so I dont know if I just haven't learned some of the little things about the Zumo that i wont like. But I found a GREAT deal (via froogle) and paid under 700 delivered.

Archived