IGNORED

Trick to removing lock cylinder from sidebag?

Paul_G

I am certain it is obvious once one knows the process, but I currently don't. I am replacing a latch mechanism (multifunction box) on my R1100R and need to swap the lock cylinder fromm old to new.

How does one remove the cylinder?

Don_Eilenberger

This would be easier if I had a photo - but I don't..

Lift up the handles.. look for a little hole that is sorta an upside down U shape near the cylinder - where the plastic makes a turn.

Find a small jeweler's screwdriver (or I guess a big paperclip *might* work)..

Push it into the hole and poke around whilst wiggling your key in the lock cylinder and gently pulling out on the key (sounds odd, but you'll figure out what I mean).

What you're doing is pushing in the bottom-most lock wafer in the lock cylinder, which is what holds it in the hole.

Once it's out - do NOT remove the key - unless you like chasing lock cylinder wafers and tiny springs around. I haven't done this - but the potential is certainly there..

HTH

Don_Eilenberger
Y'know, Don, there's this great resource called Internet BMW Riders that has all sorts of great tech information. tongue.gif

Really - where'd they come from? dopeslap.gif

There's this page with text that tells you how to get the cylinder out, and a link from the K-bike pages gets you to this page that has some helpful pictures.

Yeah - butt - that makes it WAY too easy.. lmao.gif
Once it's out - do NOT remove the key - unless you like chasing lock cylinder wafers and tiny springs around. I haven't done this - but the potential is certainly there..

HTH

Amen. I saw it happen once; a parts man removed the locking cylinder from a tour trunk just as Don described. So far so good. The mess was when the fellow then removed the key (with lock cylinder out of the luggage). And yes, lots of individual locking wafers and springs tumbled on the floor. So, leave key in cylinder until cylinder is back in luggage: if absolutely necessary, first wrap locking cylinder in paper (sort of like making a roll of quarters to put in pocket to impress, uh oh back on topic) prior to removing key. Really, not removing key is the way to go.

Wooster

Archived