IGNORED

Extra large lid width

Dewayne Harkov

Dewayne Harkov

Does anyone have the overall width of the bike if you have the extra large lids on a 1100RT? The standard saddlebag/lid combination is approx. 36" across. Any drawbacks to the extra wides beside the obvious? TIA

Any drawbacks to the extra wides beside the obvious?
The, "Do these lids make my bike's butt look fat?" question?

We had the large lids on our R1150RT, they add about 4" on each side.

Other than the obvious width issue, there is one rather real potential problem with them; because you can get so much more in them, it's a bit more likely to over stress the bag mounts. We had one fail on us.

I'm not Ken, but I had one of the hooky things on one of my bags fail. Now, it did fail on the side that the bike has been down on twice. And it failed after something like 50K miles. And it was the front hooky thing, so the bag basically sat there, and could have been sitting there broken for umpteen miles.

I also cracked a bag lid one time when I dropped the bike against a gas pump, but I just taped it up with duct tape and kept going.

it's a bit more likely to over stress the bag mounts. We had one fail on us.

May I ask the point of failure - to keep an eye on it?

The "luggage" mount, the piece on the bike the bag hangs from; cracked between the two hanger protrusions.

But to be fair, we did have the oversize bags loaded probably way over their certified max. weight.

Archived