IGNORED

Helicopter Ambulance Insurance coverage???

Shaman97

...otherwise called "Life Flight" - I'm presuming that if I needed such a service, I would be more than glad to accept a ride. The decision may also be made for me if I were incapacitated and could not answer. I'm also equally sure my existing, base insurance does not cover the helicopter ride, or am I mistaken?

Has anyone enquired about the additional cost of adding this coverage to their existing insurance? If so, what was the cost?

...otherwise called "Life Flight" - I'm presuming that if I needed such a service, I would be more than glad to accept a ride. The decision may also be made for me if I were incapacitated and could not answer. I'm also equally sure my existing, base insurance does not cover the helicopter ride, or am I mistaken?

Has anyone enquired about the additional cost of adding this coverage to their existing insurance? If so, what was the cost?

My father got a helicopter ride in October 2005. The handlebars on his Kawasaki Voyager started oscillating. (similar to a tank slapper I suppose, but according to him it was not a tankslapper). He went down fairly hard on the street, broke his collar bone and fractured a rib or 2. The responding officer called for air support, even though my father told him it was not necessary. Since it was standard procedure, there was no choice in the matter.

I didn't find out about this until a few days after the incident, but my father told me insurance paid the entire bill, including the money for a replacement helmet. He was only liable for his deductable.

His insurance is Rider.

For those of you in eastern PA - this happened just outside of Marshalls Creek on or around the road that Shawnee Mountain Ski Area is on.

An air evacuation to the nearest hospital would often be covered by your standard health insurance if it is deemed medically necessary due to your injuries (always check with your insurer though to be sure.)

What isn't covered and a good candidate for additional insurance is medical air transportation back to your home area after you are in the hospital and stabilized following an accident. I know in that situation I would sure rather be close to home than in a strange hospital in a distant city. David (Eebie) posted a link a while ago to an organization that provided such coverage, and as I remember the rates were quite reasonable, but I can't find the URL right now...

Edit: Found it, here it is, MedJetAssist.

I would ask your agent about this, and get the answer in writting. Do not ask the insurance company - you'd be asking for a rate review in light of your "dangerous" hobby. BTW If you were hurt so bad that a chopper was the only thing that would save you, does cost really matter? A funeral is about 3-10G, How much is a chopper ride?

As mentioned above, ask your agent. You needn't tell them you are asking about a motorcycle wreck.. you could end up with similar needs from driving your car.

Also, in the event you are injured some distance from home, such as on an extended tour, you may well need medical ICU transportation back home. I just got some info from BMW MOA about medjet services offering some kind of special deal for members. Medjet

+1 MedJet Assist. The BMWMOA deal saves you $30 on the yearly membership. Also they will ship your bike back home.

I've bought their short term international policy before. Great for peace of mind.

I recently read an article that said that here in the Tampa Bay area, emergency services policy is to transport by helicopter almost all trauma victims (i.e. head or internal injuries are suspected) if a chopper is available. If you fall off your bike and get your bell rung you may end up in a chopper, in spite of your protests.

The same article stated that these air services do NOT usually make a profit, although I did hear that one of them just had their first profitable quarter. The cost is usually on the order of $100 per mile plus about $1000 per ride.

But unless I read incorrectly MedJetAssist and similar services do not cover transport from an accident scene to a hospital, only transport from one hospital to another.

I've used the AirAmbulanceCard people for two years, but recently switched to MedJet Assistance because I think you get more for the money. Oddly enough, they're both based in BHM, which makes me wonder if they're related anyway.

I travel to about 75 US cities a year and a dozen countries, and the $225 is small price to pay for my wife's peace of mind. Actually, I think she just wants them to fly my remains back so that she knows for darn sure that I'm really dead and she can move on. grin.gif

I wonder what if any impact any of these plans has on your premiums if and when it's used?

Granted, you'll be taken care of, but are you then considered high risk, regardless if it's moto or cage, and then have to pay more for the coverage, if you're not dropped?

Archived