IGNORED

Losing money!

Good_Fixs

I mean losing milage. I used to get about 47 mile per gal with mid grade gasline, but latey I only get about 45mpg, I have a 02RT with 53k on engine all maintenance is on schedule and the bike is in running fine condition do you guy's think it's time to replace the 02 sensor? or just replace it to see what happen? need help to save some money to put some more milages.Thanks thumbsup.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

If you can throw an O2 sensor at the bike to see what happens then you can afford not to worry about a few mpg...

If you want to test the O2 sensor just hook up a voltmeter and watch the voltages... Low High Low High... Indicates normal sweep... rev the engine and see if it reacts... it is ok!

A change in fuel mileage that small could be caused by any number of things, many of them not even related to the bike such as the fuel formulation change that Leslie mentioned. If your mileage keeps going downhill over time then there might be an actual problem to look for, but otherwise most anything you do to try to correct a 2 mpg change will probably cost more than you will ever save in fuel.

2 MPG? Try checking the air in your tires. Heck, more aggressive driving can affect mileage by that small amount. I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues to fall off.

Go out and ride.

Mike O

I'll admit it. I'm addicted to speed! blush.gif

I just can't seem to keep off the throttle on the way to work. If there is a chance to crank it up and make a pass, I just have to do it. thumbsup.gif

I've been trying to be conservative to determine what my commuting mileage could/should be. Not having much luck, but having lots of fun. smile.gif

38-39 mpg is the norm for my commute.

I've been trying to be conservative to determine what my commuting mileage could/should be. Not having much luck, but having lots of fun. smile.gif

According to the bike computer my mileage varies from 42 to 47 mpg, depending on my speed (indicated 80 vs. 70 mph). I've never checked the computers calculations but I assume that over my 150 mile RT commute it's pretty close. I haven't seen anything lower than 42 mpg.

Ethanol does not give the same mileage as full grade gasoline. Frankly, I have to wonder if the reduction in fuel efficiency is worth the extra cost of gas with ethanol. Net net I bet most of us will use more oil resources due to the reduced efficiency than if ethanol was not foisted upon us.

I mean losing milage. I used to get about 47 mile per gal with mid grade gasline, but latey I only get about 45mpg, I have a 02RT with 53k on engine all maintenance is on schedule and the bike is in running fine condition do you guy's think it's time to replace the 02 sensor? or just replace it to see what happen? need help to save some money to put some more milages.Thanks thumbsup.gif

Real simple answer... wait until the regular brew comes back, your mileage will go up immediately. That dammm California Winter Blend drops the mileage in all our vehicles... about 2-3 MPG.

Expect another couple months of this.

kris

According to the bike computer my mileage varies from 42 to 47 mpg, depending on my speed (indicated 80 vs. 70 mph). I've never checked the computers calculations but I assume that over my 150 mile RT commute it's pretty close. I haven't seen anything lower than 42 mpg.

My commute isn't the best for getting good mpg:

I start with a one mile trip to the cafe. 30-45 minutes later I take off again for a 10 mile ride, the last couple of miles are stop and go.

Time for a complete tear down and rebuild.

Would recommend replacing complete exhaust system and putting new tires on too.

Time for a complete tear down and rebuild.

Would recommend replacing complete exhaust system and putting new tires on too.

Better yet, I'll take that clunker off your hands before you go broke. $3,000 sound good? thumbsup.gif

I have to agree about the ethanol. As soon as Connecticut required 10% ethanol in our "gasoline", my mileage decreased about 10% from 48/mpg to 43/mpg.

Ethanol is similar to the low flush volume toilets. Ethanol reduces fuel efficiency with some pie in the sky supposed benefit. Low flush volume toilets do nothing to conserve water because you have to flush them 2-3 times to get the same result as before the restriction was mandated. Gutless Congressmen.

Archived