IGNORED

Zumo vs. TomTom

Deadboy

I have a friend who is in the market for a new bike friendly GPS and I told him you all were the expert on this subject, so can someone (or hopefully a few someone’s) explain why they purchased one of these GPS's over the other....I know both are MC specific but other than that don't know what features one may have over the other etc etc....Thanks in advance.......

I selected a Zumo because:

* The display does NOT wash out in bright sunlight.

* I liked the aspect ratio (more height and less width makes sense to me).

* It uses the (arguable) best GPS receiver chip set available.

* It does NOT have a moving disk drive, so I believe good vibration resistance.

* It is a Garmin product; good Mfg support, good user support. I like MapSource.

It also has some motorcycle-specific features that I liked:

* Good touch screen

* Left hand buttons

* Waterproof

* Audio prompts with good Text-To-Speech diction.

* Good audio output level (wired).

* Has an internal rechargeable lithium battery; you can power the cradle with switched-power, turn off your bike, and still use the unit on/off your bike.

What I don’t like about the Zumo are:

* Does not support Bluetooth stereo output (read as bad for xm radio and/or mp3).

* It does not have integrated XM radio (just the User Interface controls). You have to buy an (expensive) smart(read xm receiver) antenna.

Software shortcomings (might be fixed with firmware upgrade)

* Automatically re-calculates a route when you (maybe intentionally) go off track… too smart for its own good.

* Via points show up as waypoints on the zumo display. You can’t change the size/look of the displayed via points. I would like to make them invisible.. I just plant them in MapSource to force a route.

What I don't like about the *TT Rider*:

* Any reviews I read were not positive (mechanical aspect of power button), navigation errors.

* Not as large a user base.

* I could be incorrect on this one.. but I thought you could NOT do route planning on a PC.

* Expensive (not that the Zumo is not expensive).

I felt that the TT Rider did not 'hit the mark'.

Even though the price of the toy (Zumo) still makes me wince, I'm pleased with my purchase.

Ed

I can't speak to the specific models, but I can say, based on personal experience, that Garmin units route better in the US than TomTom units. I have a 2610, friend has a TomTom. We've occasionally both driven to the same location, both with our GPSs programmed. I followed him on all sorts of crazy little streets in Carmel one day that were obviously suboptimal and which my 2610 was not recommending. He finally gave up and followed me.

I've heard that the reverse may be true in Europe, but I have no experience there.

Check out the forums on GPS Passion.

I'm on another board in England and one of the members there is a distributor and he was quoted as saying that the Zumo's outselling the TT 35-1 !!

Rich06FJR1300

i've been awaiting the purchase on the zumo pending the software/firmware upgrade. Even wrote an email to garmin but no ETA is given. I was hoping to see those changes along with an altimeter (like the 2610) would definitely make me spend the money!

Lets_Play_Two
i've been awaiting the purchase on the zumo pending the software/firmware upgrade. Even wrote an email to garmin but no ETA is given. I was hoping to see those changes along with an altimeter (like the 2610) would definitely make me spend the money!

Every Zumo owner gets the firmware upgrades...all you do is log in to Garmin.com and download them.

I believe they just added the altimeter feature or so someone claimed on another thread....you might want to confirm that...

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/812284/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

Rich06FJR1300

i see current pricing at about 690 from buydig.com (not sure how reputable they are) for the basic package. Some have deals on the bundle (which includes the XM antenna of which i'm not a fan of at the moment)

I just purchased a garmin 2730 from costco 499.99. I know that's not one of your 2 choices, but you can't beat the price. I'd stick with Garmin. It seems that they have more units on bikes than all others combined.

i see current pricing at about 690 from buydig.com (not sure how reputable they are) for the basic package.

I bought a digital camera from them a few years back. They are OK, but like most NYC camera shops (B&H being the exception), when you order you have to be REAL careful. They won't just send you the item. They call you after you place your order on the web and try to sell you extended warranties, etc. But they have been pretty good about shipping items from what I've read, it's just a pain to have to deal with them on the things they want you to add to your camera/GPS/TV/whatever.

Wayne

i see current pricing at about 690 from buydig.com (not sure how reputable they are) for the basic package.

I bought a digital camera from them a few years back. They are OK, but like most NYC camera shops (B&H being the exception), when you order you have to be REAL careful. They won't just send you the item. They call you after you place your order on the web and try to sell you extended warranties, etc. But they have been pretty good about shipping items from what I've read, it's just a pain to have to deal with them on the things they want you to add to your camera/GPS/TV/whatever.

Wayne

buydig.com is OK - I bought my GPS from them. Never got a callback (but I did from another company).

With Buydig.com, you have to have your delivery signed for - so make sure someone is home or have it shipped to you work addy.

Archived