IGNORED

Need suggestions for making passenger more comfortable on R12RT

paulcbrowne

I used to have an LT, which partially explains the problem of the "BMW Biker Chick" complaining about discomfort on the back of the new R12RT. A big part of the problem seems to be the way the R12RT passenger seat slopes forward.

I tried a Russell seat but sold it when my feet only just barely touched the ground -- thanks, Russell, you should have rejected my order! The passenger seat seemed to offer better comfort.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pad or some KNOWN solution to make the passeneger seat more comfortable and to keep the passeneger from sliding forward?

Paul

Unfortunately both seats on the RT are "torture racks" as Steve's 1150 puts it. I have had the front of my passenger seat built up almost 2" with additional foam so my wife will not slide forward and the seat is level from the front to the back with a crown effect in the middle. In addition I bought a set of Alaska butt pads. I cannot give you a report because she has not been back on the bike since our Torrey ride in September 06. If you will send me your email address I will send you some pics of it.

Mine likes the Sargent seat much better than the stock. I like it too!! So I am on my tippy toes at stops...I spend hours sitting, minutes stopped.

The tradeoff is more than acceptable.

Jim

There is a company in Nf Canada that does some really unique things to you rseat but it works.

Gary is the guy there and he strips your seat down, puts in 1" of Gel then comes over top of that with a 3/4" thick sheep skin then finally covers in leather under some tension. The combination of the gel, sheepskin and leather make for a seat that conforms to your butt, creates an air gap that seems to keep cool in the summer and stay warm in the cold, breathes and wicks away moisture. He shaves and shapes your seat so it is no higher then original and have the shape you desire.

Your SO may appreciate this treatment thumbsup.gif

He does all this for less then most aftermarket seats I have seen on the market. He does not have a website but his info is below if you're interested.

Newfoundland Saddlery & Leather Limited

383 Duckworth St, St John's, NL, Canada

Phone: (709) 753-3661

There are 2 custom seat makers on the right coast that will able to help you. Bill and Rick Mayer specialize in customizing seats for BMW's. They re-use the stock pan and make the seats wider and with more contour. It is best if you ride in but I've heard that they also do great work through the mail. I just replaced the front/back seat. My wife and I noticed the difference immediately.

Recent Post

Bill Mayer

Rick Mayer

What worked out for my wife, (who hated sliding forward on the stock seat)was the addition of Illium Iornworks passenger floorboards instead of the stock footpegs, and a Wunderlich seat, which is firmer and higher in the front than the back to prevent sliding. The seat also has a basketweave pattern that helps prevent sliding and more comfortable padding. The floorboards look cool too--an unexpected benefit!

What worked out for my wife, (who hated sliding forward on the stock seat)was the addition of Illium Iornworks passenger floorboards instead of the stock footpegs, and a Wunderlich seat, which is firmer and higher in the front than the back to prevent sliding. The seat also has a basketweave pattern that helps prevent sliding and more comfortable padding. The floorboards look cool too--an unexpected benefit!

Where'd you get the Wunderlich seat?

Where'd you get the floorboards? I googled both and didn't come up with the floorboards at all, and only found a Santa Cruz bike dealer with a link to Wunderlich's catalog.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pad or some KNOWN solution to make the passeneger seat more comfortable and to keep the passeneger from sliding forward?

Sounds like you are married to my wife! She HATES the slope of the seat. I have yet to make a change....but I am looking for an economic solution.

My wife had the same problem until I got a Bill Mayer saddle. My BM saddle [rider] was rite on and love it . BM worked with me on my wife's saddle. It took him two shots at it but now its good. You could use my info to refer it to Bill Mayer so that you can get it right the first time . PM me if you want .

Archived