IGNORED

New Zumo arrived- no owners manual

BamaRider

Well sport fans the new Zumo arrived, on time as promised.

Problem? The manual is on CD, well ok, I stick it in D drive, browser opens up, pick my language, and proceed to a blank page. Went to the control panel to load manually and the it says something wrong with the path.

So I got this neat toy and not a clue where to start. I can figure out the CD fiasco later. I'm pretty tech savvy, and can get going with just a little help. Can't boot the unit up to play with it, battery too weak. I'm hoping once I get the screen up, the on screen menu will take me the rest of the way.

Can someone give me the first 5 or 6 quick steps to get rolling? Kinda like ya see on other high tech stuff after they give ya 50 page manual. It has the letters READ THIS FIRST on front.

It came with the City Navigator NT disc. I thought this babydoll came preloaded? If so, what does this software do? This is my first GPS, but I'm a quick study. I'm guessing this disc contains more detail of city streets then preloaded? WITHOUT a manual I dunno.

If anyone has any suggestions why I can't see the manual shoot em this way. My PC is only a year old and is up to date with Adobe etc. Any help would be MOST welcomed.

Thought I'd pass on my new Zumo observations.

After a few days of riding I can't say enough how well this unit works. This is my first GPS so my comparisons to other units are somewhat limited.

The unit was easy to learn, and I once a got everything up and running was on the road with it in about 1 hour. And I had no GPS experience at all.

I like the non brick, hardened case. The display is easy to see and the touch screen buttons are good. I dunno what kind of antenna the unit has (I hear its latest) but the unit continues to track inside MY house!

The battery power option is really nice, as is file swapping. A joker on the Zumo forum created a file with ALL the American Honda dealers, so I went to the Garmin site, downloaded the POI loader, and downloaded the file. Now I have all the Honda dealers on my unit, sorted by state.

Performance wise the unit is accurate to within a few feet. At 70 mph, in 3D mode, there is a about a 1.5 second lag, at slower speeds it is much less. Voice prompts come quicker. I find all of that more then acceptable and not a problem.

Because I have so much free time, I'm able to decipher software the old tried and true method- just plow through it and by sheer time, learn what I need to know. Along those lines, I found the accompaning mapsoure program has a average learning curve.

The unit has a lot of small, nice features, like being able to toggle between miles to go, and time to arrival. Which I find the latter to be much more revelant.

All in all a great piece of equipment, mine set me back 680$$$ which included shipping. Prices are slowly dropping, but I wanted the unit NOW, gotta alot of riding to do the next few months and don't have time wait for it to go under 500!

Have't delved into the XM radio or MP3 stuff yet.

Guy, if you want to download GPS files with all the BMW bike dealers in the U.S., and Canada, go to this guy's site:

http://gmccurdy1.home.att.net/Dealers/Dealers.html

Aside from GPS waypoint files for dealers (one for the US, and one for Canada), the site also has two MS Word files which list dealers by state/province (alphabetically),with phone number, address, Waypoint name etc. Really handy site. He also has the files in MS Streets & Trips format. You simply download and open a Zip file and all the files are there. Best to look at his "Read Me" file when first starting out.

Having these files loaded on my GPS certainly saved my bacon last summer in Colorado when I had to replace my rear tire on short notice. I'd still be riding around looking for the dealer in Grand Junction if it weren't for the waypoint loaded on my GPS.

It came with the City Navigator NT disc. I thought this babydoll came preloaded? If so, what does this software do?

I don't believe this concern was addressed. By now you've noticed that your Zumo DOES come pre-loaded with USA maps. The City Navigator software basically allows you to create waypoints (favorites) and routes on an easily-accessed computer/Windows application platform and download them to (or if you create some on your GPS - upload them from) your Zumo. I've had my Zumo since November and haven't even installed the program yet (although I've used it for years with my SPIII).

In any event, congratulations on your purchase. As Hopz above mentions, please come on over and register on the Zumo-specific forum -- http://razorbiker.com/zumo/ -- in only 3 months of operation we now have over 600 members and 3,600 posts!

Enjoy, ride SAFE (and now that you have your GPS), get LOST! thumbsup.gif

It came with the City Navigator NT disc. I thought this babydoll came preloaded? If so, what does this software do?

I don't believe this concern was addressed. By now you've noticed that your Zumo DOES come pre-loaded with USA maps. The City Navigator software basically allows you to create waypoints (favorites) and routes on an easily-accessed computer/Windows application platform and download them to (or if you create some on your GPS - upload them from) your Zumo. I've had my Zumo since November and haven't even installed the program yet (although I've used it for years with my SPIII).

Well, sorta. In order to plan routes and set waypoints in the MapSource software, you want MapSource to be using the same map database that you have on your Zumo. City Navigator NT is that map database.

The DVD also provides you with a backup in case the maps are somehow deleted from your Zumo (which you could, in theory, do in MapSource).

Archived