IGNORED

R1200 Adjustable Torque Arm

CraCol

Does anyone know of an adjustable length torque arm for the R1200 series (particularly the R12RT in this case) paralever?

Since the universal joints aren't coincident with the swingarm pivots, changing the length of the link could raise hell with the slip joint.

Craig, Why do you feel you need an adjustable (Paralever)torque arm?

I'm running shorter shocks and the rear drive housing on full compress hits the right passenger peg mount..

Since the universal joints aren't coincident with the swingarm pivots, changing the length of the link could raise hell with the slip joint.
Actually I don't believe that is true. There is no slip joint any longer. As a matter of fact that they are coincident is one of the big advantages of the R12XXxx design vs. the old R11XXxx series. It is how they were able to eliminate the slip splines in drive shaft of the new rear end design.
Actually I don't believe that is true. There is no slip joint any longer. As a matter of fact that they are coincident is one of the big advantages of the R12XXxx design vs. the old R11XXxx series. It is how they were able to eliminate the slip splines in drive shaft of the new rear end design.

1. The slip joint has been moved to the pinion shaft.

2. The swingarm pivots are now located under the drive shaft.

1. The slip joint has been moved to the pinion shaft.
It's not a slip joint though. At least not in the sense that it dynamically slips/slides as the suspension moves up and down. Rather it is strictly for assembly and torque transfer. Both ends of the drive shaft now have Cir-clips that hold the front U-joint onto the splines of the transmission output and rear U-joint onto the splines of the FD input shaft in a fixed position.

Verholen have nothing for the 1200 series machines, only the 11xx series.

It's interesting that this is the first we've heard of the FD contacting anything when running shorter shocks.

Does anyone know of an adjustable length torque arm for the R1200 series (particularly the R12RT in this case) paralever?
The variable length arms are possible with the R11XXxx series because the slip joint in the drive shaft allows the whole geometry of the rear suspension to shorten or lengthen as the rear end is raised or lowered by changing the arm. With the new design no slip joint means no adjustment is possible.
The variable length arms are possible with the R11XXxx series because the slip joint in the drive shaft allows the whole geometry of the rear suspension to shorten or lengthen as the rear end is raised or lowered by changing the arm. With the new design no slip joint means no adjustment is possible.

Hi Ken , I was waiting for you to say that! So what's the guy with the short legs & shocks going to do about the FD hitting the peg mounting?

"Get longer legs" is not an acceptable answer!!

So what's the guy with the short legs & shocks going to do about the FD hitting the peg mounting?

Well it's a puzzle. Modifying the geometry of a bike often opens up a Pandora's box. I suppose I can envision a modification where both the drive shaft length and link arm are changed. But it would take some real skill and math to get both right.

But in trying to regain FD clearance wouldn't you in effect undo what was just accomplished with the lower shock? IE. - lower the bike with one only to raise it with the other? End up with a net-zero change in bike height?

But what about approaching this particular problem/scenario from the other end? Move/modify the foot peg plate mount? Suppose it depends on specifically what is hitting.

OP – Is the FD contacting the long silver magnesium foot rest plate itself or the frame extender that supports the back end of the plate?

OP – Is the FD contacting the long silver magnesium foot rest plate itself or the frame extender that supports the back end of the plate?

Frame extenstion the footpeg mounts to.. It hits the drive housing in the right front quadurant (looking down at teh housing).

Craig

Okay, and I realize this is not for the faint of heart, but what if a good welder was to cut the existing U / V shaped frame extender off, the forward of its current location fabricate and wled on a new single sided one that went downward then swept back to the current mount location of the foot rest plate? Clearly it would take someone pretty good, and quite a bit of bike disassembly would be needed to facilitate it, but still, off the top of my head it would seem to be within doing.

You're in KC too right? If we ever get a break in this sucky winter we should cross paths and see what we can cook up for a solution. Anything is possible...

Archived