IGNORED

Anna Nicole Smith at Gleno's funeral?!!!

sgendler

I didn't want to pollute the other gleno threads, but was I the only person there who was about ready to tackle the pastor off the stage when she started talking about Anna Nicole Smith at Gleno's funeral service? Like she needs to talk about what a terrible example that woman was when she could have been talking about what a great example the guy we were all there to honor was. She left me furious. That was absolutely the only negative about the entire experience for me (besides the obvious, anyway). I laughed far more than I cried this weekend and I'm thankful to all of you (and most importantly, to Gleno) for making that possible.

--sam

If she talked about Anna Nicole Smith the way Gleno would have talked about Anna Nicole Smith, then that would have been something to hear. Now how would that have sounded? Hmmmm.......

If she talked about Anna Nicole Smith the way Gleno would have talked about Anna Nicole Smith, then that would have been something to hear. Now how would that have sounded? Hmmmm.......

lmao.gif

Especially coming from that lady. Nothin' something between A.N.S and a senior citizen pastor to spice up a funeral, eh? Yea, baby!

(on a side note, we officially need a 'shocker' smiley)

--sam

Sam, I think the point she was making was how fortunate Gleno was to have such a huge number of friends. She was using ANS as a place holder for people who seek the wrong things in life and find unhappiness. Gleno sought the fellowship of man and was indeed rich.

:-)

Wurty may be da man but we're still MRN. smile.gif

By the way, I was waiting for the punchline. That bit was like sitting through a scene from an absurdist play.

russell_bynum
Sam, I think the point she was making was how fortunate Gleno was to have such a huge number of friends. She was using ANS as a place holder for people who seek the wrong things in life and find unhappiness. Gleno sought the fellowship of man and was indeed rich.

:-)

Yeah.

I had the same reaction as Sam initially. Why are we wasting Gleno's memorial service talking about ANS? I could have been just fine without that reference, but I think the message the pastor was trying to convey was a good one.

I think the message the pastor was trying to convey was a good one.

Definitely, but awfully tastelessly done. I was cringing against the wall the entire time, and she just wouldn't drop the subject, even though I think even she was aware of the impropriety once she got going. There's a time for positive messages and a time for negative ones. Funerals get the former, sermons during a normal service are just fine for the latter. I got the impression she had written the sermon before she got the gig, and didn't want to miss the opportunity to deliver it while ANS was still hot in the media, so she just ran with it anyway. Overall, it was mostly just kind of amusing and Gleno would have been laughing, for sure, so no harm done, but still...

--sam

I wonder how hard it would be to get a shocker sticker slapped onto ANS's casket? Since she was mentioned at his funeral, it seems only right that we return the favor. grin.gif

I think the message the pastor was trying to convey was a good one.

Definitely, but awfully tastelessly done. I was cringing against the wall the entire time, and she just wouldn't drop the subject, even though I think even she was aware of the impropriety once she got going. There's a time for positive messages and a time for negative ones. Funerals get the former, sermons during a normal service are just fine for the latter. I got the impression she had written the sermon before she got the gig, and didn't want to miss the opportunity to deliver it while ANS was still hot in the media, so she just ran with it anyway. Overall, it was mostly just kind of amusing and Gleno would have been laughing, for sure, so no harm done, but still...

--sam

heh, I've been to funerals where the minister brings up hell and damnation and you think about what a partier the departed was... We got off light. :-)

M

I take it Gleno didn't have any sort of relationship with that pastor?

My personal style? Nope. But she did speak when I was completely unable to.

I enjoyed the Masonic service as well.

The Masonic service was very moving, especially when Gleno's dad stood with the other Masons. Being a Mason meant a lot to Glen. Gleno's dad Hugh, a Master Mason, came to Boulder City to raise Gleno to Master Mason, himself. Glen's granfather was also a Master Mason. I know that the rite was particularly meaningful to Glen's dad. Did you notice that each of the Masons that spoke, spoke from memory? Part of their achieving their different ranks is the memorization the rites entrusted to their positions. The actual burial is a private ritual of the Masons. Putting their brother into the ground is a solemn obligaton for them.

By the way, I was waiting for the punchline.

Ya, I didn't understand where she was going at first, then I thought I knew where she was going and thought it was pretty good, but then she never got there.

And for those who were outside or weren't there, the point that the preacher should have made was: Anna Nichole Smith had the fame, wealth and beauty that most people desire, yet she was unhappy and unfulfilled, but Gleno shared his love and had friends who loved him, and thus he was the true success.

I agree Sam... I was in the hallway, and could only barely hear most of the service, but when I heard the minister mention ANS - I able came unglued. I saw it as very inappropriate. Glen is/was/always will be the most accomplished human being I have ever met. A wealthier man has never walked this earth. Being there this weekend was wonderful and heart-wrenching at the same time. It was good seeing you and everyone else there as well.

I hope to see you again soon, under very different circumstances.

Lance

I hope to see you again soon, under very different circumstances.

GS

Aerostich

2-up

TORREY

Let's moto, baby. thumbsup.gif

Heya Russ!!

While that GS in my future may not be in effect by Fall Torrey, the Stitch, and my arse on my Gixx is a great possiblity.

I'm starting right now to get into the shape I'll need to be to do Torrey... I'm all about it..

Let's Moto!

russell_bynum
Next time you go riding locally, let me know.. I'd like to go with bro...

Especially since you're not all that far away! lol

Absolutely.

I think it's just people decompressing a bit. It was a bit odd and it certainly strikes me as a moment in which Gleno and his family above all people would find some humor.

Am I the only one slightly embarassed at this thread?

Just strikes me as rude to critique the service in a public forum.

Well, Gleno always seemed to win a few and lose a few. smirk.gif

He sure got his licks in on us here in MRN with pics of his "shocker" being posted past the censors and the "haircut analysers" here who always pissed him off got him back by dissecting his memorial service! It strikes me somehow as a fitting send-off! wave.gif

But I DO know what you mean about Terri or the family reading this some time down the road. First, it is Gleno's memorial service we're talking about, here, right?? grin.gif

And second: I just really DON'T think Terri asked the pastor to "Oh, and do please try to mention A.N.S. somewhere in Glen's service. She's a hot topic right now and he always really liked her!" dopeslap.gif

russell_bynum
Who is this diplomatic and sensitive person, and why are you posting under Steve Knapp's account?

lmao.gif

"I hate all you people. F*** you, I'm not going to work today." -Knappy lmao.giflmao.gif

Who is this diplomatic and sensitive person, and why are you posting under Steve Knapp's account?

lmao.gif

"I hate all you people. F*** you, I'm not going to work today." -Knappy lmao.giflmao.gif

Ahhh, better. There's the boy I know and cherish... eek.gifgrin.gif

Was there any relationship between the Pastor and the family?

It seems unlikely, judging from what she had to say. She didn't say anything that implied she had real experience of Gleno's personality. That doesn't necessarily mean much and maybe that's just her style, but it seems hard to imagine that anyone who knew him personally would have so little to say.

As for Theresa reading this, if I thought she'd have a problem with it, I wouldn't have posted. But that's also why I didn't post in an existing thread - so it wouldn't have to be included in an archive. Funerals suck, but that doesn't mean we have to treat them with undue reverence after the fact. At least, that's what I think.

--sam

While I did not attend the memorial for Glen, just be careful how you address this topic. Like other people have said, remember that Terri might read this someday, and I am sure she would prefer to remember the good stuff about the ceremony. I only posted to this thread because I laid my father to rest six weeks ago. Unfortunaly, there was that one person that got up during the service and let everybody know they were going to hell and they better repent and be forgiven. My Dad was a Christian man but very private and he would never push this on anybody. My Mom was so embarassed and worked up she called everybody and apologized. Now for the past five weeks everybody has talked about the one mishap, over looking how awesome the rest of the service was. I on the other hand was irritated that so much was being made of the one comment, and wished people would have focused on the good stuff in the ceremony. Just remember that everybody greives differently and while Terri may find the ANS comment funny, someone else in the family may not want that to be talked about. Just my two cents. Sounds like an awesome tribute in Vegas, to a man that truly deserved it.

The service was what it was. Each of us could have written it differently, and someone would have criticized what we had to say. Anna Nicole Smith or not, if the pastor's words brought comfort to the family, that's all that matters. We know what she meant: fame, fortune, and beauty does not make you a happy person and does not win you friends and loved ones; whatever it was that Gleno had was the antithesis of what Anna Nicole Simpson had, including a wealth of friends and loved ones beyond anything that ANS could have imagined. While some may take exception to the way she said it, we can appreciate her intent. Let's leave it at that, and instead debate whether or not the saddle bags on Wurty's bike made his ass look normal.

P.S. Nice to see you back, Shelly.

russell_bynum
debate whether or not the saddle bags on Wurty's bike made his ass look normal.

Wurty has a donkey??? blush.gif

No, but he's a jackass.

smile.gif

Wurty has a donkey??? blush.gif

Gee! Has he given up sheep?!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Doubt it!! I overheard him discussing the benefits of the donkey in terms of carrying capacity. animal0061.gif

Let's leave it at that, and instead debate whether or not the saddle bags on Wurty's bike made his ass look normal.

How could you tell.............between the two side cases and the top box when he was two up with Tif during the ride on Sunday let alone his fat ass when riding solo.

While were on the ride up....four Hells Angels decided to lane split by us at 90 + mph and nearly took one of his side cases with them. At the next gas stop he told me they scared the s@#t out of him. I looked over at the gas station next to us and saw all of them gasing up and asked Wurty if he wanted to go over there and throw down on them. lmao.gif

Hey Wurty,

I think your ass is cute wink.gif, specially when it's cutten across freeway medians at 80 mph!!

I think Wurty just swallowed his cigar..... grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Funerals suck, but that doesn't mean we have to treat them with undue reverence after the fact.

Funerals are an event hosted by the family of which you are a guest. They should be treated the same as any event where you are the invited guest. I'd offer up more respect as those planning the event have been impacted by a huge loss in their lives. It's easy to distance yourself from that reality, you see the family grieving, you see those giving the service offering special attention.

I'm not sure who you intend to direct the feedback to? What's the benefit? Even if Gleno's family never reads your comments, what's the point?

And Jamie, to the idea that "hey, it was Gleno". Sure he had his moments. If the tables were turned, it wouldn't shock me if he offered my grandma his "spicy nuts" (a picture that just makes me laugh!), but he NEVER, EVER, would have said anything publicly negative about the service that my family planned and welcomed him to.

Archived