IGNORED

How low can you go???

MotorinLA

According to the spec sheet on the 2006+ R1200RT, it sports a gas tank capacity of a whopping 7.1 gallons. I have ridden my 2006 R1200RT for some distance beyond the gas light warning, until the gas gauge showed pretty much nothing, however, I have never been able to squeeze more than just over 6 gallons into the tank.

Anybody able to get close to 7 gallons??? grin.gif

Along those same lines, how many miles have you nursed out of a full tank? crazy.gif

Inquiring minds would like to know… smirk.gif

I have run my tank nearly dry... it took 8.1 gallons. I have a small vent hole drilled in the filler neck so I can fill up past the bottom of the neck. I've gone as far as 392 miles on a tank... it took 7.1 gallons after that run at altitude in Colorado and New Mexico. I routinely fill up at 350 closer to sea level here in Texas.

Hang in there. My first tank was 41.8 mpg. My worst was 30.5 mpg. My average for 1,1847 miles is 42.14 mpg. Average miles per tank is 258. I assume I'm doing about 45-48 mpg for highway riding. I have found that I can go about 45 miles after the Bike Computer indicates 0 miles to go so I note my odometer when that happens and make sure I get gas before I go an additional 45 miles. As always, YMMV.

Scroll down to "The Inscrutible “Bordcomputer”" on Jeff Dean's website. He has found pretty much the same.

http://bmwdean.home.att.net/r1200rt.htm smile.gif

Geez. Now I have to keep an eye out for you in my rear view mirror on a civvy bike? At least let me the know the color of your RT so I can be on the lookout for you.

p_interceptor

I regularly get 50 to 51 MPG and on occasion I have got 52. I have also calculated gallons and miles to verify my gas mileage. However, I do tend to drive conservatively at steady speeds with very little fast accelerations. I also never ride with two up or with a lot of additional weight on the bike. I have talked with several R1200RT riders who also stay around 50 MPG. Could be your driving habits!!!

The original question: I have put as much as 7 gallons in on occasion.

I have put in almost 7.1 (7.08 I think) but it required a bit of work to fill it completly full and then refill it again. I am convinced it actually holds 7.1 gallons. That last .3-.4 is a bit of work with the vapor recovery nozzles they have around here.

BTW I DID have spare gas with me and was trying to figure out if it really did hold 7.1 gallons. It had started to idle a bit funny, then recovered but hadn't quit!

I regularly get 50 to 51 MPG and on occasion I have got 52. I have also calculated gallons and miles to verify my gas mileage. However, I do tend to drive conservatively at steady speeds with very little fast accelerations. I also never ride with two up or with a lot of additional weight on the bike. I have talked with several R1200RT riders who also stay around 50 MPG. Could be your driving habits!!!

Unfortunately, the business of writing traffic tickets in the city doesn't lend itself to good mileage. smirk.gif

Apparently doing 90+ mph in the desert going home doesn't give you the best mileage either... tongue.gif

Remember some people have "plucked" the rubber "thingie" out of the filler next to increase ease of fueling, and capacity by about a gallon......My 2005 had a gallon or so left at the zero mile mark. I haven't checked the 2006 that closely yet....

all the best,

Mike

I seem to recall someone posting on this site to the effect that he ran his dry, and had covered 589 kms (365 miles). When he filled up, he put in 29 litres (BMW's claimed capacity is 27 litres "useable").

MotorinLA:

33 mpg? ouch indeed, but leads to my next question, can you tell me how your RT-P differs than that of the RT?

Do you have engine performance enhancements that the general public does not?

thanks, MB> you may PM if you like.

OK so who is willing to fill their bike completely up and run it till it stops? MPG does not matter in this test just mileage and capacity on the back end. Any volunteers?

p_interceptor

"Unfortunately, the business of writing traffic tickets in the city doesn't lend itself to good mileage"

I issued a few traffic tickets myself today, but out of a Crown Vic,

Highest was 104/70

I generally regard my range as being 350miles per tank. When my gas gauge says "0" miles left, I assume an average of 50 mile reserve at legal posted speeds, easy acceleration. This seems pretty reliable. Using this, it is not unusual to put in 7 gal. Fast riding with an unruly group and range drops to a little over 300 miles.

MotorinLA:

33 mpg? ouch indeed, but leads to my next question, can you tell me how your RT-P differs than that of the RT?

Do you have engine performance enhancements that the general public does not?

[hijack]

As far as I know, the R1200RT-P is very similar to the civilian version. I don't believe there are any engine enhancements. The major differences that I know of are:

1. radio box on top/back

2. top-opening, narrower saddle bags

3. the crash bars

4. the factory led units

According to Jeff Dean the R1150RT-P had a speedometer with less error (guaranteed to be within +/-1 mph accuracy) than the civilian version. I don’t know if this holds true for the 1200s as well. There is definitely a discrepancy between the analog and the digital speedo on the 1200s (approximately 5 mph less on the digital at 85 mph).

[/hijack]

I seem to recall someone posting on this site to the effect that he ran his dry, and had covered 589 kms (365 miles). When he filled up, he put in 29 litres (BMW's claimed capacity is 27 litres "useable").

marcopolo always seems to remember those numbers!

That was me last year.

Here is the original thread http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post689805

I never did try it again, but runing down to the zero miles to go indication is quite regular. I have never had any problems.

It would be easier to remove the gas from the tank and then refill from calibrated source.

Shops do this all the time.

But my question would be, WHY BOTHER?

If you know the bike's range, fill up as needed.

If you're running out of gas, drive conservatively and hope for a downhill coast to the pump.

I never understood the idea of squeezing the last drop out of a fuel injected system, they don't like running on empty.

If you've gone 300 miles clap.gifstop and put in some gas. grin.gif

It's not a race and these aren't timed pit stops.

wave.gif

33mpg, are you leaving the bike idling for a while?

marcopolo always seems to remember those numbers!

That was me last year.

Here is the original thread http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post689805

I never did try it again, but runing down to the zero miles to go indication is quite regular. I have never had any problems.

I must have a mind for trivia, in this case at least. I think one of the reasons I remember is that I have a friend who is considering replacing his 1150GS with either a new RT, or a new GSA. One of his consideration is range, so I often remind him how far you can go on an RT.

Archived