IGNORED

M/C Insurance

RickXL

I am getting closer to getting a new RT. I called my insurance Co and was quoted $600 a year for full coverage. I now pay $230 for my harley, which is also 1200cc but cost about half what a bwm cost. Is this a little high or is it just the price of doing business.

Might mention, I'm 60, been riding since a teen,never had an accident, been 20yrs since last ticket

Rates vary a lot by state. Here in NC I paid about ~650 when I purchased an RT brand new... changing to another company took it down to about 500. I'm sure that many will speak up indicating that in such and such a state they're paying rates as low as $300 for a years coverage.

Between the Harley and the RT quote... did everything else line up as far as coverage? How did the Comprehensive portion line up versus the Collision? Your insurance company might be "tupperware adverse".

Insurance rates vary dramatically...from the $400 or so a year that I'm paying for my Uly to the $2800 a year that the k1200r was demanding before it got sent down the road. It's just part of the cover charge.

I pay $380. annually for my four bikes, three of them with Comprehensive and COllision, $250 ded.

Liability limits of $100,000/300,000/100,000, Um limits the same, $7000. worth of extra's, road service, no medical. With Dairyland Insurance.

Only the '73 Honda has just liability.

In Kansas, no tickets, no accidents, rural area, 48 yrs old.

This won't help anyone other than those in Kansas. Each state has it's own rules and laws.

Shop around, there is not always a sound rationale for bike ins premiums. I have had quotes vary by 100%. FWIW I pay a little under $500 for by 07RT. No claims in 10 years, no points on the license.

I pay about $480.00 in Phx for an 05 RT...we have one of the highest car thefts in the nation though...I have high limits of liability too. Need to keep my house in case someone needs a little extra $$$ if I injure them!! I also have full coverage to include towing just in case BMW roadside assist is not around to help/cover costs. And check with diff agents as I have found that some companies in Phx have higher rates than I am paying for the same coverage I am getting with another "premium" company.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be doing some shopping to find a better deal, but at least I now know I'm somewhere in the average.

Thank you, Rick

Just renewed for $655, $500,000 combined single limit on liability and uninsured underinsured, $250 deductible on collision and comp, roadside assistance. Clean driving record. Got a small discount for safety course.

Shop around! And keep shopping. Six years ago I found a reasonable deal for my R1100S. Every year I had moderate increases even though I had no tickets or claims of any kind. After I got my new RT I checked with my BMW dealer's insurance guy and found that not only could he save me $50 per year, but I got a policy with substantially increased limits. Now I'm paying $300 a year for a new RT in the Seattle metro area with comp, collision, and 500,000 in liability coverage.

Here's my guy: Sal Milazzo, Broker/Agent

He does just bike insurance and enters your info in to "all the companies" and shows ya all the rates. About 10 years ago I realized that I was unable to find anything cheaper than his prices. YMMV.

http://www.milazzoagency.com/

14 Vanderventer Avenue, Suite L-6

Port Washington, NY 11050

Phone: 516-883-3377

Fax: 516-767-3107

An independent insurance agency, located in Port Washington, NY, specializing in motorcycle insurance since 1973.

-Eff (tell'em Neal sent ya)

I am an insurance agent in the metro Phoenix area. Rates vary widely by company, coverage, and location. The only coverages not mentioned which I would emphasize are uninsured and underinsured motorist coverages. These protect you and allow compensation for injuries sustained by you from the idiot who carries no liability or doesn't carry enough. These coverages are mandated by the state you are in so their availability also varies. The loss of your bike is one thing. Your inability to pay your bills can be a far greater loss.

Blue Beemer Dude

Isn't there some kind of BMW MOA coverage available in many states? Not MOA specifically, but a company that is "endorsed" or referred to, or something like that...

Anyway, as previously noted, here in NC we pay outrageous motorcycle rates. However, for some companies you can get a 10% discount if you have completed the MSF course. Worth looking into.

Michael

I only pay about $325 for an '05 R12RT and an '02 K12RS. As I checked around, some wanted over $2,300. By the way, I take the highest coverage with a high deductible.

Aluminum_Butt
I only pay about $325 for an '05 R12RT and an '02 K12RS. As I checked around, some wanted over $2,300. By the way, I take the highest coverage with a high deductible.

I take the high deductible approach on cars, but when I had my bike insurance quoted, the difference in annual rates for $250, $500, and $1000 deductibles was tiny (less than $50/year).

Given the probability of dropping the bike and doing a few hundred in damage at some point, I opted for the $250 deductible.

I'm also a big believer in finding an agent you trust, and shopping the policy each year at renewal. I was with Progressive for a couple of years, and then switched to Dairyland when I bought my RT. I hope I never need my coverage!

Rates will vary widely based on company claim experience, and these change every couple years. Shop around like you would for anything else. Insurance is a commodity...get a decent price from a well-known company. Chances are, you will never even use it! I pay just over $200 for very high coverage w/average deduct. This is on a ten-year-old bike (38 year-old clean rider).

Archived