IGNORED

Questions on ordering new prescription glasses

eddd

I'm getting ready to get an eye exam and will most likely have a new prescription.

I prefer to ride the my RT with the screen all the way down, which puts my face right in the wind. Normally I have the visor down, but I'd like to have the option to have it up. Here is where the problem arises. Both my regular and sunglasses are not good for riding, too much wind interference.

Any suggestions on where to go for presciption glasses that would be good for riding "with the wind in your face"? Would it be too much to ask for a pair that were also bifocal? How about progressive bifocal?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a pair of these from USA-Sport.com which are polarized and have a prescription insert. They work well but wanted a flip-up for when it gets darker.

Just bought these from Rudy Project. Tried them on with a helmet before purchasing and no problems. Although pricey, they also have a prescription insert but the sunglass will flip-up and the sunglass lenses can be interchanged with different colors. It comes with two colors. Also the sunglass lens can be removed from the frame.

My girlfriend has the USA Sport sunglasses with a bi-focal progressive lens insert (Varilux) which she is quite pleased with.

BTW, I've already checked out some of the online providers. My concern with that route is that all seem to have a "prescription sales are final policy", and that makes it quite a crap shoot at the dollars involved.

The Rudy Project glasses are available at eyeglass stores. But unless you can visit the USA Sport booth at a motorcycle show/event they are only available online.

A very important thing when getting glasses, particularly riding glasses where you can't adjust them on your face very easily, is comfort...The nose bridge particularly...I get the plastic one-piece type bridge so I don't get uncomfortable pressure dots on my nose...

I ride with prescription glasses and have a tri-focal prescription; distance, computer (3 feet) and reading for my regular everyday pair....

My riding glasses (one each; dark and clear lenses) have distance of course, and the computer prescription down low where the reading would normally be ...That way I can see the gauges, mirrors, etc by looking down and not have a lot of interferrence with distance...

Also, the lenses are on the large size...I occasionally ride with the visor full up but at slower speeds...Don't see any problem with almost any glasses if wearing a full face helmet; they can't blow off...

My riding dark glasses are Polaroid and make tar snakes look like water sometimes but the sky is sure blue....Some riders might not like the effects of Polaroid or, for that matter, blended...I don't care for blended...........

I use the same glasses to play tennis and they don't ever fall off...

One last thing....Suggest you take your helmet with you when you order glasses and try the frames on to make sure they are comfortable with the helmet and work the way you want them to....

Welcome to the Mature Riders Club.....

Phil..........Redbrick

Also check out Oakley glasses and sunglasses. They make prescription eyeware, and some also have changable lenses. I believe that Oakley also has bifocal and transitional lenses available. Start checking around at where you can get your prescriptiom filled locally and see which one is also an Oakley dealer and they can get you all set.

Best ones I found are the Panoptic. They come with a sealed (wind proof) eye cup that can be removed so you can wear them as simple sun glasses or mini-gogles. They also come in bi focals and variable photogray so they become clear at night. Another feature is that with the removable eyecup, it also has a second clear lens so they don't fog up. Really great but pricey. With all the options, it is $300+ but I believe worth every penny.

I have a pair of these from USA-Sport.com which are polarized and have a prescription insert. They work well but wanted a flip-up for when it gets darker.

Just bought these from Rudy Project. Tried them on with a helmet before purchasing and no problems. Although pricey, they also have a prescription insert but the sunglass will flip-up and the sunglass lenses can be interchanged with different colors. It comes with two colors. Also the sunglass lens can be removed from the frame.

My girlfriend has the USA Sport sunglasses with a bi-focal progressive lens insert (Varilux) which she is quite pleased with.

I have the rudy project glasses - but not the ones linked above. I have theseGRAAL in Titanium

The guy I bought them from, Jim at Rxspex2020@cs.com I forgot his website, but he guaranteed the Rx would be correct. He was very helpful thru email.

I heard of him thru a friend of a friend who happened to have the ones linked above in 99Roadster's post. I was told he was one of the largest Rudy Project dealers.

This is a pic of them being worn by yours truly.

DSCN1808.jpg

Try the Bolle Vigilantes here . They have an insert for your perscription lenses, and a wide range of interchangable lenses for different applications, from clear to low light to bright sun. When I was reseaching this was the least expensive and most versitle way to go. I use them for skiing, golf, and on my motorcycle.

I too ride 90% of the time with the face shield up.

I just ordered another set to have the bifocals put in the inserts.

All the legal disclaimer stuff here.

Hope this helps.

+1 for Pan Optix (sp?) When I had a cruiser and contacts (I have had lasik) I used their product and it worked great...the foam keeps wind/dirt out of your eyes/contacts...they work like goggles but wear like glasses.

I used Bolle for eye protection for SWAT stuff with prescription lenses that mounted onto the nosepiece of the frame. I could use regular Bolle lenses of different tints but had prescription lenses on the inside. Oakleys work different...they bond the prescription lens to the protective lens.

Archived