IGNORED

Cleaning the shift linkage

TonyS

I'd like to clean and lube the shift linkage on my 04 RT but am not sure just how to seperate the ball and socket connection. The retaining clips are not hard to remove but I was nervous about applying too much force to seperate the components in case there was something else that had to be released. Thanks. T.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I'd like to clean and lube the shift linkage on my 04 RT but am not sure just how to seperate the ball and socket connection. The retaining clips are not hard to remove but I was nervous about applying too much force to seperate the components in case there was something else that had to be released. Thanks. T.

Once you get the external spring clip off of the ball joint, there's still a circular spring clip inside the socket that holds the ball in. If you've got the external clip removed, go ahead and pull firmly to separate ball and socket.

If you've still got a felt ring between each ball/socket, be careful: it's kinda delicate.

If you've still got a felt ring between each ball/socket, be careful: it's kinda delicate.

Yes, the felt rings are still there. Thanks

Yes, the felt rings are still there. Thanks

Just replaced my washers on the 02. I thought the old ones were felt, but the replacements were made of foam rubber and just slide (tightly) over the ball end. Since they're only $1.00 per piece, I'd go ahead and replace them both. While the linkage was apart, I cleaned and regreased the balls and sockets and am pleasantly surprised how much smoother the shifts are.

Archived