IGNORED

Exhaust Pipe replacement Advice Needed

tgregg

My stock pipe is cracked at the front of the Cat converter so I guess it is time for a replacement. I am looking for a cat eliminator type I think, but I want quiet. Any suggestions? 99 R1100RT

Thanks, I think as long as I need to change it I'd like to get the weight down which means getting something other than stock. If I decide to keep a stocker I think the crack can be welded up and solve that problem. The crack doesn't seem to be a big problem as it has been that way for a year or two.

Thanks, I think as long as I need to change it I'd like to get the weight down which means getting something other than stock. If I decide to keep a stocker I think the crack can be welded up and solve that problem. The crack doesn't seem to be a big problem as it has been that way for a year or two.

If you decide to keep it, don't. That material is very thin, and will just recrack.

You can get a used unit for under $100 if you look around. Hell, someone might even give you one. Lots of them about from people replacing theirs.

Jim cool.gif

Two Bros has an aluminum muffler for about $500. There seems to be a number of replacement pipes out there but my question is which one has worked out well for folks and is reasonably quiet.

Thanks for the welding caution.

Completely forget the Two Brothers pipe. Loud as hell. I had a buddy with a Honda 900RR with that pipe and I would not ride behind him because his bike was so loud. Downright obnoxious.

The feedback I have heard about Remus has been good. Not too loud, nice sound, etc. The best case scenario is of course to hear it on your own bike. Definitely check the boneyard for a replacement pipe if you want to go the stock route. Personally, I like keeping my bike pretty much stock. Happy hunting.

If you're after a reasonably quiet system, Remus or Staintune street version will work fine. Make sure to get one with the resonator instead of the straight pipe that replaces the cat. Be patient and wait for someone who's returning their RT to stock before trading/selling. I got a complete system for $350!

The only downside is the rear can must come off before the rear wheel can be removed. Not a big deal, one bolt and one clamp.

I like the exhaust note, just a little bassier. Not offensive at all.

Here's what it looks like. Not my bike but you get the idea

rtside.jpg

OK, REMUS looks like the way to go. Now to go shopping for a source. I see San Jose BMW is a dealer but I'd rather buy outside of California to save sales tax.

I have the Remus with the resonator on my RT. I absolutely love the sound it emitts. Not loud, just a nice mellow sound. When riding my buddies stock RT, I can't hear my bike over his unless I'm tucked up pretty close and he accelerates my bike hard out of a corner. Then, just a faint burble. It sounds like a John Deere 318 garden tractor with the Onan engine in it.

Also, when changing the rear tire, I don't have to take the muffler off, just take the bolt off that hold the cannister by the rear footpeg and it will flex enough out of the way to let the rear tire/wheel slide by. Nothing at all wrong with stock, but the Remus is by far my choice for exhaust on the BMWs. JMHO. BTW, I did keep my 02 sensor in tact and operating. Another reason why I don't remove the system for rear wheel changes.

You can make a system using a Two Brothers head pipe and a VFR muffler. Search this site for instructions. Get the muffler off of e-bay. The whole system should cost around $ 200.00. You can have a muffler shop bend a special "mating tube" to match-up the headpipe and the VFR muffler.

I have a Remus exhaust system w/o the pre-muffler. I can still talk with my wife at cruising speeds. Much louder than the stock system under acceleration by sensible by most standards. grin.gif Don’t expect a noticeable performance change.

daveinatlanta

I have a Z-technik (Z4000 I believe) and I like it - but I really don't have a basis of comparison other than it is about twice as loud and half as heavy as the stock. Sort of an inverse relationship... The website is http://www.ztechnik.com/ My muffler has what they call the "Decibel Killer" installed. This is essentially a removable baffle. I've never removed it. Actually I removed the single screw that I thought held the baffle in but I could not dislodge the baffle. Anyway, given its' rather throaty sound WITH the baffle, I don't think I want to remove it. The muffler has about 20,000 miles on it and it has discolored to a nice yellow-chrome.

Just to add to the fire I have the Laser full system with the ecu chip, and left stock it is great. Pull out the baffle and it sounds a little loud to me.

I have the Stayintune stainless system on my RSL. It has a very nice sound to it. I run it without the "quiet" insert because it's not that loud without and has a nice deep tone.

I believe that the system is pretty sturdy and should last forever pretty much. I don't think it saves much weight over the stock system but probably a little.

My RSL has the exhaust, K&N air filter and the Techlusion R259 injection controller installed. It took some tuning to get where it is now but the driveability is flawless and it really hits hard in the upper rev ranges.

That seems to be a pretty good setup and is a total joy to ride.

tbtapper

R1100RSL

Archived