IGNORED

R1200RT Canbus and adding dual horns or Stebel Nautilus

RoSPA_man

I've got a few questions about the Can-bus wiring, fitting a dual horn or a Stebel Nautilus on a 2007 1200RT

1. My dealer tells me that the wiring has changed since the dual horns were replaced in 2005/6 and that fitting a dual horn might invalidate the warranty! I don't care about the wiring change or the warranty, as it can easily be argued that the standard wispy horn is c**p and unsafe. I assume there is enough space on the 2007 model if there used to 2 horns there - I get the bike on March 1st so I can't look yet!

So the questions:

1. As I understand Canbus, it acts like a fusebox, isolating circuits, e.g. ones that draw the wrong amount of power. If I fit 2 horns, I assume that the draw will be greater, maybe even double. Will that cause the Canbus to isolate the circuit or does it have enough 'latitude' to support 2 horns?

2. If I fit a Stebel Nautilus, I know that I will have to power it direct from the battery, using a relay (is that supplied with the Nautilus?)that will be triggered by the wires going to the wispy horn. If I remove the wispy original and install the relay in its place, will the Canbus detect too LITTLE power being drawn and shut down the circuit? Or am i just worrying too much?

3. If the Canbus shuts down the circuit for either reason, is that a trip to the dealer to reset the CAnbus with their computer, or will it reset if the procedure is reversed and the problem "fixed"- ie putting back the wispy horn?

4. I saw someone recommend to put a resistor across the horn leads to fool the canbus into believing a horn is in place- if so what resistor is required?

6. Anyone from UK know if the 139db horn is legal?

Many thanks

Hugh

Hello, Hugh-

I've had the Stebel Dual Air Horn on my ST for more than a year, hooked up as you described (the original horn wire actuating the relay) with no troubles. I've never tried to see how long the horn will blow as listening to it for just a few seconds is more than enough. I haven't had to use it for more than a couple of toots in traffic either since it gets noticed a lot quicker than the stock horn. The cagers think I am something out of proportion for the sound it makes, I suppose.

Frank

There seems to be some inconsistency on this issue, depending on the version of software on the ZFE module that controls the horn. ("CAN-BUS" is not a 'thing' on the bike it is a communication protocol between modules on the bike.)

Some behave as your choice 1., a lot as your choice 2., and some have no issues. You will just have to try it. When there is an issue, it usually is that it will honk the horn, but if held consciously will shut it down.

The best approach is to use a relay (your 2.) and if there is an issue, try adding a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor across the relay. This will usually create enough additional current to fool the ZFE.

3. The ZFE will reset the circuit the next time the bike is started. It will store a failure code however, readable by the dealer. If a dealer attempts to void my warranty for just that though, they're itching for a fight from me!

There seems to be some inconsistency on this issue, depending on the version of software on the ZFE module that controls the horn. ("CAN-BUS" is not a 'thing' on the bike it is a communication protocol between modules on the bike.)

Some behave as your choice 1., a lot as your choice 2., and some have no issues. You will just have to try it. When there is an issue, it usually is that it will honk the horn, but if held consciously will shut it down.

The best approach is to use a relay (your 2.) and if there is an issue, try adding a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor across the relay. This will usually create enough additional current to fool the ZFE.

3. The ZFE will reset the circuit the next time the bike is started. It will store a failure code however, readable by the dealer. If a dealer attempts to void my warranty for just that though, they're itching for a fight from me!

GS-ZFE-Faults.jpg

This is the fault code I got from my Steibel horn.

I have never had it shut down, even after 15-20 seconds of continuous use.

I cleared the code with the GS911.

Jim cool.gif

PS The brake light fault codes were from the BRAKE LED unit when it malfunctioned.

Thanks guys for the replies

Does anyone know if there is sufficient space in the original single horn space for the Nautilus Compact on the 1200RT?

So who can't spell "brake" - is it the ZFE people or the GS911 people?

Good question. The ZFE was made in Germany, and the GS911 was made in South Africa! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

I set up the Stebel on the bench today and fired it wearing my earplugs- just as well. Anyway, I have a diode (striped end on the + end!) and all is well. That is wired across 85 and 86 - ie the coil circuit - I assume the resistor goes across the same 85 & 86? Excuse my igmorance but I assume that will create a current of 12V/100 Ohms= .12Amps - does the tiny looking resistor heat up therefore and if so by much- just idle curiosity as I wait for my RT due in 10 days thumbsup.gif

I assume the resistor goes across the same 85 & 86?
Yes.
does the tiny looking resistor heat up therefore and if so by much
A bit, how much depends upon how long you sound the horn. Which is why I suggest a 1 watt resistor.

Archived