IGNORED

Phase Two Ends, Phase Three Begins

Laney

The first phase of this adventure had me and the monkey crossing the south to meet Kathy in Atlanta.

In Phase two Kathy and I rode, laughed, ate, found great places to visit and stick our feet in the water.

Yesterday morning, Kathy and I said goodbye – yeah, tearfully, cause we ARE girls – at her house. Neither of us could believe so much had happened since we’d first met up in Atlanta, or that the time for the current adventure was up, and it was now time for her to go back to work, and me to go my separate way.

I’d been silly enough to let the Monkey sit on my brother’s Harley in Delaware – that led to his wandering around, finding what he considered the perfect “ol lady” and getting left behind. All the legal stuff’s been worked out, and we’ll meet up again in California. He’s definitely got some explaining to do, but I’m happy to report he’s fine, and looking forward to a (slightly) more well-behaved ride to Gunnison. tongue.gif

But now, with no Kathy, and no Sock Monkey, it’s only me, the bike and the roads. After all the great experiences Kathy and I had over the last week, it’s a difficult adjustment. There’s no more voice in the FRS making comments, jokes, or sometimes wild suggestions. The change to alone is too abrubt, and I’m not ready. But it’s here, and that's what I’ve got for the trip back.

I left the Chicago area under the same sunny skies we’d had to ride to Highland House Sunday. Warm and beautiful, and the Chicago traffic was tolerable. I hate all the toll stops, but they end soon. Then the blue sky goes gray, then up ahead it’s you-gonna-get-wet black. Nice start?

Toward the edge of IL, approaching the Iowa border, things gradually change back, the rain disappears and the warmth and sun return. It’s great to be back under blue skies again, then it’s time to stop again to pour down some Diet Pepsi and get talked out of being drowsy. The voice on the phone makes me smile and laugh and forget I was ever sleepy, then it’s time to hang up and go on.

By the middle of Iowa, the blue sky is gone, and it’s solid overcast. The RT is low on gas, and it’s 1:00 local time, so we both get lunch. It’s time to put all those liners in my jacket and pants that I removed just a short time ago. I guess I should’ve waited. It sure looks like more rain.

The alone part is not bad, but it’s different, and I’m still not used to it. There should either be an RT in front of me, or a single headlight behind, and it’s missing. I’m sure Kathy’s going through riding withdrawls at work, so I guess I’ve got the better deal.

I wonder about lots of things as I go down the road, taking in the countryside, passing cars and trucks, and noticing I’m the only bike out here. How really alone can I get?

Finally Nebraska shows some change in the terrain, it’s still awfully straight out here, but the sides of the road are more rounded, and more tree covered. It feels different, I don’t know why, but it’s better.

By the time I stop for the day in Lincoln, it seems like I’ve adjusted to this current change, being by myself again.

But Phase Two sure was fun, wasn’t it Kathy? Are you sure you can't come out to play in Colorado today? smile.gif

Glad to hear all is well.

You talk of phases reminded me of:

Gnome 1: This is where all our work is done.

Kyle: So what are you gonna do with all these underpants you steal?

Gnome 1: Collecting underpants is just phase one. Phase one: collect underpants.

Kyle: So what's phase two?

[silence]

Gnome 1: Hey, what's phase two?!

Gnome 2: Phase one: we collect underpants.

Gnome 1: Ya, ya, ya. But what about phase two?

[silence]

Gnome 2: Well, phase three is profit. Get it?

Stan: I don't get it.

Gnome 2: (Goes over to a chart on the wall) You see, Phase one: collect underpants, phase two-

[silence]

Gnome 2: Phase three: profit.

Cartman: Oh I get it.

Stan: No you don't.

Kyle: Do you guys know anything about corporations?

Gnome 2: You bet we do.

Gnome 1: Us gnomes are geniuses at corporations.

Which is one of those things I find myself chanting, with proper Gnome tones, when riding alone. Or, I um, could imagine others talking to themselves when riding alone...I'm too stable. smile.gif

Your adventure sounds wonderful Laney. I've really enjoyed reading your reports. Soak in the awesome vistas that our great country has to offer. You'll treasure this trip in your memories for years to come. Cheryl says Hi too. Stay safe.

Laney,

I know how you feel. I hate it when vacations come to an end. Especially awesome ones like the one you had. And I know how flat Nebraska can be. (My family used to travel

cross-country just about every year when I was a kid.)

Hang in there - you'll be home soon and boy what stories you'll have to tell Corey, and Robin, and all the dogs....there see...you miss them, you want to come home now! smile.gif

The California crew has a party all lined up for you when you return. (Who says the Chi-town crew are the only ones allowed to throw a killer party!?) smile.gif There's a little meeting at Griffith Park planned for Sunday, the 23rd, something about a hoon fest...

While I probably won't be at the hoonfest (I myself am not a hoon (yet), and I limit Russell's hoon capabilities when I ride two-up) I hope you'll be there. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered to fill the void after a long trip of riding...more riding!

TimButterfield

Hi, Laney.

I was the Hi-Viz Darien that was hanging around at Highland House. When I met you, I (mistakenly) thought you were one of the Chi-Town crew. As a newbie to this forum, I didn't know (at the time) what an honor it was to meet you. After reading of your adventures here, now I know. The posts here of your adventures are helping to bridge my knowledge gap. They are also giving me dreams of similar trips I can look forward to. It sounds wonderful. I'm glad everything is well. Stay safe.

--

Tim Butterfield

http://www.timbutterfield.com/

russell_bynum

Laney,

You are NOT riding alone. You've got a whole slew of us less fortunate nutcases right there, living vicariously through you.

I've SO enjoyed reading all of these ride tales and seeing the pics that people have posted. I know I'll enjoy hearing them in person even more.

It is these reports that inspires people to go out on adventures of their own. We sit behind our computer screens and think about it, you're out there DOING IT.

I've said before that Kris' ride tales were a big force in getting me to go out and actually RIDE this bike (not just commute). Now that I've experienced some of what it's like, these tales keep my fires lit. More importantly, I have ZERO doubt that there are people sitting reading these tales who are saying "WOW! What fun! I should do that. I CAN do that! I WILL do that. Let's go!", and that is a really special thing. You are opening people's eyes to a whole new world, and a magical one at that.

Keep tellin' the tales. Keep those fires burning strong.

To add to Russell's post - You know the Indians (and probably many other cultures as well) passed down historcal, religious and cultural traditions through stories told by the campfire from generation to generation. Consider Ride Tales a way to pass on our traditions to new riders!

smile.gif

Great post, Laney. Sounds like an epic journey to me! Keep the posts coming, and say hello for me to the Nebraska towns of North Platte and Ogallala (past cross-country layover stops for me wink.gif

Maybe in a few months Kathy should head out your way, to continue this party laugh.gif

Laney and your Partner in Miles, Kathy: thanks for the trip and thanks for the ride tales. I've enjoyed each post and can't wait to have my own epic travels. Oh I've had mini travels, and Gunnison will be my first intermediate travel. Thanks for putting out the big picture, cross country. My wife is a newbie rider and she is as knocked out about your travels as I am. Be Safe and I hope to see you both in Gunnison.

BTW, do we have a Hoon In Training (HIT) program? smile.gif I'd like to sign up. In your last HIT session you could become a Senior Hoon In Training. I didn't want to do it but it was the Monkey, or the Darkside that made me do it. blush.gif

I just don't know what to do with myself. This morning as I got in my car to drive to work I had an uncontrolable urge to pull my visor down. As I backed out of the driveway I tried to put my feet down to keep my balance as I backed up. I grabbed the windshield washer stalk and tried to accelerate. This lead to the checking of my mirrors to see where Laney was.

No Laney. My heart sunk.

What a great trip, huh, Lanester? I'll never, ever, pass up a cold running stream, river, lake or ocean again. Excuse me, but I think it's time for popcorn and a cold one.

There is nothing like a great trip with a great friend. All I can say is :

Cary, you have made such an impact on so many lives. Thank YOU from the bottom of my heart. And thank you David for keeping this place intact and growing.

See you in Gunnison for the reality of the Un-Rally. WhooooHoooooooo ! Chubbbbby Bunnnnyyyyy crazy.gif

Laney has not had a puter connection. She is in Kingman AZ tonight and doing just fine.

Iowa and Nebraska were hot, boring and WINDY and the truck drivers have been rude, riding side by side and blocking lanes all the way to AZ. Colorado was fabulous. She stopped to take pictures at Four Corners today and is now about to jump in the pool.

She wants to say "HI" to you all...and she'll see a few of you on Sunday. smile.gif

russell_bynum

Thanks for the update, PB.

I had just (as in 5 minutes before you posted) done a username search to confirm that we hadn't heard from her in a couple of days.

I was worried she hooked up with the Monkey and was busy hooning around in Utah or somethin'

Archived