IGNORED

Ordered my zumo...power from the 1200RT

loujack

I'd like to wire the zumo directly to the standard plug already present on my RT. Problem is the zumo wont come with the wire that will allow me to plug there. So, has anyone had any luck finding a plug that will connect directly? Is there a BMW part number or an aftermarket wire available?

Any help would be appreciated!

I also have a zumo in transit, but my question is can I just plug it in the left fairing socket? Providing I have the correct adapter? Or is that too simple?

Sure - I'd imagine you can... I really want her hard wired though... would prefer to go right to the stock plug. But if I have to go all the way back to my centech fuse panel - I guess I'll do that.

Anyone have ideas on how to go right to the OEM plug?

From my notes;

3-wire pigtail connecting to existing GPS harness connector – 83300413585 – brown (ground), red/white (positive), middle wire (speed sensor, not used)

Hope that helps.

The Zumo package comes with a power cord that you can install a BMW plug on. It's really quite simple. I've attached a photo of mine. The power cord used is the cord which came with the Zumo. You will need to acquire the plug on your own either from BMW, Powerletproducts or Cyclegadgets, etc.

809485-P2080192.thumb.jpg.6195ac426b8c8388653a39805a0a7f9b.jpg

I also have a zumo in transit...

I can't believe it, Guy's going high-tech and getting a GPS. Hey Guy, what convinced you to go the GPS route; you've seemed like a pretty hard core map guy to this point?

Marco- I still prefer my atlas when planning a tour because of the big picture it gives, but after riding with jokers that use GPS, I was sold on their functionality. I'm terrible at taking directions, and can't remember how many times I've taken the wrong ramp in some mega city freeway system. Add all the uselful info for motels and gas, it was time to make a move. I waited for just the right product, what ya know Garmin comes out with the Zumo, and that convinced me.

Marco- I still prefer my atlas when planning a tour because of the big picture it gives, but after riding with jokers that use GPS, I was sold on their functionality. I'm terrible at taking directions, and can't remember how many times I've taken the wrong ramp in some mega city freeway system. Add all the uselful info for motels and gas, it was time to make a move. I waited for just the right product, what ya know Garmin comes out with the Zumo, and that convinced me.

I know what you mean. I got a GPS in 2004. I always look at a big map, or atlas, to plan a route/trip. I also carry hard copy maps with me on a trip. The prime reason for me in getting a GPS was that I reached the stage where I couldn't really read the map without reading glasses, so the GPS certainly solved that. I also like just exploring from point A to point B, and setting the GPS road preferences to keep me off highways etc. I've discovered some interesting roads that I never would have found on a map. Enjoy your Zumo.

Though not quite what you want to do, I did find an easy hard-wire solution. I took my 12V power cord from my GPS and tapped into the wiring for the front leftside power outlet on the fairing. Just behind the panel, that outlet has a quick-disconnect. I just tapped that source and routed the GPS cable up between the forks. The GPS is thus powered by the CAN-bus, and will not have power when the bike is off. My GPS is battery-powered (276C) so not a problem for me. This was an easy hookup.

Though not quite what you want to do, I did find an easy hard-wire solution. I took my 12V power cord from my GPS and tapped into the wiring for the front leftside power outlet on the fairing. Just behind the panel, that outlet has a quick-disconnect. I just tapped that source and routed the GPS cable up between the forks. The GPS is thus powered by the CAN-bus, and will not have power when the bike is off. My GPS is battery-powered (276C) so not a problem for me. This was an easy hookup.

That's exactly what I did, or should I say that's what my independent BMW Master tech did to hard-wire my Garmin 276C. Interestingly enough, he first tried tapping into the BMW Navigator plug wires that come with the bike (tied up near the headstock), but he couldn't get power, no matter what he tried, including several phone calls.

That's exactly what I did, or should I say that's what my independent BMW Master tech did to hard-wire my Garmin 276C. Interestingly enough, he first tried tapping into the BMW Navigator plug wires that come with the bike (tied up near the headstock), but he couldn't get power, no matter what he tried, including several phone calls.

Who's your BMW master tech?? Jesse?

Archived