IGNORED

A Tribute to Gleno

Dinkee

The Circle

To his family:

I envy you so.

You truly knew him. How fortunate you were to be able to call him husband, Dad, Grampa, or brother.

You have so many memories that, in time, will provide comfort.

Oh, but the pain you must feel now. How heavy your hearts must be.

On second thought,

I do not envy you.

I am so sorry for your loss

To his closest friends:

I envy you so.

You were able to spend so much time with him. You were able to enjoy his company and you know how special you were to him.

Oh, but the pain you must feel now. How heavy your hearts must be.

On second thought,

I do not envy you.

To others like me who had the opportunity to meet him:

We were able to get a big hug and a “what's happenin', dude!?”

We got a glimpse of what it is to be considered a friend. We anticipated more time spent with him.

We knew he cared about us and we looked forward to another hug.

Oh, but the regret of not being able to get to know him better. How heavy our hearts are.

I am so sorry for our loss

To those of you who never met him:

I envy you so.

You don’t have to think about how sad it will be to not hear his voice again or be the recipient of a nice firm handshake and a big hug.

You didn't see in person his obviously genuine nature, concern for others and zest for life.

Oh, but the regret that you weren’t able to do so! Time conspired against you and did not allow that to happen. How heavy your hearts must be.

On second thought,

I do not envy you.

To the people of the future:

I envy you so.

You wonder who this “Gleno” character was. Why all the angst?

The world went on revolving in February of 2007, didn't it? You went about your life oblivious to the fact that so many people were wishing that the world could just stop spinning, if only for a day. Everyone must surely feel this loss.

However, that is not the case.

You happen upon this news in mere weeks, months or years and you didn’t have to feel the pain.

You may not have suffered a loss in February of 2007, but I assure you that you missed something remarkable.

On second thought,

I do not envy you.

-------------------

Thoughts:

It became apparent to me that the O in "Gleno" is like a circle.

There are so many different points on the circle, and we find ourselves there. We find ourselves connected by one thing: our love for a man named Glen.

It seems to me that each point contains pain, sorrow and regret tempered by memories, joy and thankfulness. It struck me how deeply his close friends were hurting and how deeply the regret ran in people who were hoping to get to know him better.

I hope that all of you can find peace, wherever on that circle you happen to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautifully put Heidi. I am one of those who only read Gleno's threads but had never met him.

However, over the last few days, reading all of the remembrances and testimonials, I couldn’t agree with you more… it is my loss for never having the opportunity to do so.

To all of Gleno’s family and his extended family of friends who did have the privilege of being part of his great life … my prayers and heart felt condolences are with you all. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Archived