Ye'll come and find the place where we are resting

And kneel and say "Come ride on with me"

And we shall hear, though fast you ride among us

And all our motors then tuned and sweeter be

For you shall wheelie and tell us that you love us

May you ride in peace, and may He the pillion be

Bigmak

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I admire your style. I am going to have to start carrying a towel, these tissues aren't getting the job done.

Amen to that. frown.gif

I admire your style. I am going to have to start carrying a towel, these tissues aren't getting the job done.
Damn, Mark. I can't even get through singing the first line without breaking completely down into a puddle of quivering jello. bncry.gif

For those who don't know the melody, here's a link to Bing's famous version. Warning: it starts as soon as you load the page and if you follow along with Mark's words above, you might want to make sure you're alone or with friends before you click the link below. DAMHIK! bncry.gif

Danny Boy.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
For those who don't know the melody, here's a link to Bing's famous version. Warning: it starts as soon as you load the page and if you follow along with Mark's words above, you might want to make sure you're alone or with friends before you click the link below. DAMHIK! bncry.gif

Danny Boy.

Uggh... I thought I could make it through that one. I hope someone can sing this at the memorial service.

Mark

That's beautiful, Mark. Thanks. You get a big "Arrogant Bastard Ale" (or two) the next time you're down this way.

But, I'm with Dinkee on this - you opened the floodgates again. bncry.gif

We're going to print it up and bring it along. I'm working on making it all the way through. I'm doing pretty well sitting here by myself. I don't know if there'll be a place for it in the service but we'll find a time somewhere during the weekend.

Les, if you want to do a group sing, let me know. I might be able to do a group thing. I wanted to volunteer to sing for the service or something, but there's just no way I could get through a song with out coming apart. I've heard a choral arrangement of Danny Boy (a capella!) that is just divine, though it does require a nice high soprano! That aint me! smirk.gif

I"m thinking that it would be great to sing this as a group at the barbecue or memorial. I posted this up at gsxrpaddock.com and that was the first thing that we thought of - to sing it in Gleno's honor.

Can we make a bunch or printouts of this to give to everyone?

bIGmAK -

I was prompted by Master Yoda & Al Schibi about doing your song/lyrics and plugging my voice and piano to it.

It was completed this afternoon and Jamie & Les will be receiving the CD from me and they'll be posting for all to hear.

It really was not work - it was no labor - it took only 4 takes, no overdubbing...live time, playing keyboard with live singing at the same time.

Watch for it - I hope you enjoy it..

Blessings:

Thanks so much John!! It sounded great even on the phone. I can hardly wait for the CD.

We were also moved to do a version Mark. Your sentiments are so loving. We stood in our tile floor bedroom and sang into the mic on Jamie's computer. Here it is.

Thanks so much John!! It sounded great even on the phone. I can hardly wait for the CD.

We were also moved to do a version Mark. Your sentiments are so loving. We stood in our tile floor bedroom and sang into the mic on Jamie's computer. Here it is.

Beautiful, got chills.

But hannabone, I'm on dial-up eek.gif, please send me a CD too. cool.gifgrin.gif

It's going to be a long time before I go through a day without tears. You're not helping.

Yes you are. It was beautiful. I listened to it five times. I can't wait for Hannabone's version as well.

My God I miss him.

Nice job. Stayed in tune and beautiful harmony. Send me a Sonar File and I will add a Flugelhorn track.
What's a "Sonar File"?? I've got it in mp3 or AIFF format, but that other format exceeds my tech knowledge. My sister played Flugelhorn for years (and with an older sister who was a professional horn player I pretty much grew up on Chuck Mangione and the other "horn" bands of the 70's)--I LOVE that mellow sound! thumbsup.gif

We'd like to do a proper version like 'bONE's with a decent mic and a bit more rehearsing. This was just shot from the hip and was the first time I could get through it without choking up. bncry.gif

Beautiful, got chills.

But hannabone, I'm on dial-up eek.gif, please send me a CD too. cool.gifgrin.gif

done..email me your snail mail dewd...it'll be in the mail today ..!

hannabone@msn.com

Sonar is a program by Cakewalk for music recording and production in a home studio type setting. Allows you to combine midi tracks with audio tracks. The tracks can be recorded separately and dubbed, etc. I own the program but am not an expert by any means.

Sonar is a program by Cakewalk for music recording and production in a home studio type setting. Allows you to combine midi tracks with audio tracks. The tracks can be recorded separately and dubbed, etc. I own the program but am not an expert by any means.

Oh. Kinda like GarageBand, only hard to use. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
O Gleno Boy, the grips, the grips are calling

From street to trail, and 'round the mountain side

The sunshine's gone, and all the stars are crying

'Tis you, 'tis you must go and we must ride

But come ye back at springtime in the Torrey

Or when the roads be washed and free of snow

Yes we'll be here in sunshine or in shadow

O Gleno Boy, O Gleno Boy, we love you so

And when ye come, and all our bikes be silent

And we are dead, as dead we well may be

You'll come and find the place where we are resting

And kneel and say "Come now ride away with me"

And we shall hear, though fast you ride among us

And all our motors tuned and sweeter be

For you shall wheelie and tell us that you love us

May you ride in peace, may He the pillion be

O Gleno Boy, O Gleno Boy, we love you so

Bigmak

wHEN i rEAD these words from BigMak I knew that I was to do something musically. It was the gentle prodding of my phonecall to RD Franz on Saturday evening before the funeral that put me over the top and sealed for me that I would do something...albeit, from a distance, as I could not make it to the formal ceremony. My call to Yoda was simply to convey my admiration and love to Glen & his family ... to let them know that they have been in my every thought and prayer. Dick told me - no, he promised me - that that would be the case.

10 minutes later - confirmation - as Al Shibi phoned me back on my cell and told me to do the song. I told him it would be done.

So - with that - here it is...all recorded "live-time" - singing whilst playing my keyboard. It did take four (4) takes... no overdubbing... simply singing and playing to a man and family that I'd grown to know and admire. To this DBoard that I've grown to know as "homebase" -- safe and secure.

Many thanks to Jamie & Leslie and to Russell & Lisa for putting the technical stuff together properly for the DBoard so that you can peek into my take on BigMak's brilliance.

From my heart to yours - enjoy.....

http://www.russellisa.com/images/GlenoRIP/01%20Track%201.mp3

oNE mORE tHING...this was a very hard song to sing for me - the words caught me up several times on the first three takes..(thus, 4 takes total) and especially the words "...but come ye back at springtime in the Torrey.." that line has promted me to completely shift my schedule (and now also SirRodney's) to attend Torrey in May.

BigMak's words were spot on here for me - and am not attending for the experience of the "ride" - but for the place that he loved and the place where so many will congregate in his name. How could I stay away??

Tough song, but one done to touch the listener's soul.

Many thanks, BigMak.!

John,

Thanks for putting that together (along with the lyrics from BigMaK!). You have a singing voice that is a real gift, and really makes O Gleno Boy lyrics appreciated even more.

Mike O

Archived