IGNORED

question about coating pipes

brennaman

I have a question about coating your headers. There is a topic now running about coating your pipes. I loved the pipes on the RT that E30TECH had, my only concern is the heat disipation. I saw on the link someone had posted (http://www.performancecoatings.com/) of the benifits, but it raised a question. They say the radiated heat was quite a bit lower. Where does this heat go? Does it spread the heat over a longer portion of the header to where it is able to dissipate much faster, and transfer it out the exhaust faster? Being the RT is aircooled, (primarily) getting rid of the heat is a big concern. For anyone that has had this done, do you see any increase in bike temp. in the summer, lower? The numbers they have for radiated heat from coated to uncoated are pretty large, that heat goes somewhere, and I would hate for the engine block to have to work as more of a heat sink than it already does. What do you all think? Phil

Interesting question. I follow your reasoning - the engine could run hotter since less heat is dissipated from the coated pipes, dampening the overall cooling effect of the entire engine assembly.

For what it's worth, I had my pipes coated at Perfomancecoatings.com, and did not notice any change in the engine temperature. On the plus side, maybe the engine warms up a bit faster with coated pipes. thumbsup.gif

Jay

Interesting question. I follow your reasoning - the engine could run hotter since less heat is dissipated from the coated pipes, dampening the overall cooling effect of the entire engine assembly.

For what it's worth, I had my pipes coated at Perfomancecoatings.com, and did not notice any change in the engine temperature. On the plus side, maybe the engine warms up a bit faster with coated pipes. thumbsup.gif

Jay

Or the other way around. Since the pipes do not retain as much heat the engine could run cooler because the heat doesn't leach back into the head from the hot pipe.

I doubt it is much either way. The pipes are not really dense enough to retain much heat anyhow. Radiated heat is more an issue, but more with the fairing style bikes than an open bike like a GS!

Jim cool.gif

I did this while helping a friend build a 350 hp Chevy v8 motorcycle and it drops 400 F off of the surface temp(1300F to 900F)of the pipes. The CeramiCoat is both on the inside and the outside, we used their near chrome color. I used a thermocouple to verify temperature so I know it is valid. The pipes will still fry flesh, but they are cooler. The material acts as 2 layers of insulation and the heat goes out the end of the pipe into the muffler. No you cannot coat a muffler. The chrome stock pipes are chrome plated stainless and turn blue. Stock pipes are stainless and go brown. Chose your color blue or brown wave.gif

Archived