IGNORED

Rain X

dls

Has anyone used Rain X on their BMW windshields? I know Rain X warns against using it on plastic, but all plastics are not created equal. AeroFlow for one says it is okay to use on their products.

Aluminum_Butt

There's a pretty big contingent here who say it's bad to use RainX - causes plastics to become brittle and to yellow over time.

Personally, I've never taken the chance - Plexus works great and is designed for what we use.

>HERE< is a thread that covers the subject pretty well.

You would think that Rain-X would try to entice their chemists, engineers, etc. a little more to try and invent a product that could be used on motorcycle windshields. They have great brand recognition. If it wasn't for Rain-X on my car windshield, I would have to give up driving in the annual Florida monsoon season!

Joe Frickin' Friday
There's a pretty big contingent here who say it's bad to use RainX - causes plastics to become brittle and to yellow over time.

On bare plastics, I don't doubt this. But bike and helmet windscreens typically have a hard anti-scratch coating on them, so the RainX never truly comes into contact with the plastic.

So the real question: how do those anti-scratch coatings hold up when treated with RainX? confused.gif

Personally, I've never taken the chance - Plexus works great and is designed for what we use.

>HERE< is a thread that covers the subject pretty well.

Not only that, but if you decide to discontinue using it, it leaves some sort of a haze, which doesn't allow for good run off / wiping.

(at least that's the problem I encountered when I used to use it on my cage)

Don't use!! Rain X is made only for glass.

After six months of using it on my Shoe face shield, the shield looked like it had a billion fine scratches.

Know what that stuff is? Denatured alcohol, or at least it smells rather strongly of it. A while back, I needed some denatured alcohol for something I was trying to do as per some recommendation, and never having smelled the stuff previously, immediately thought of Rain-X when I popped the top off of the can and caught the scent.

I too live in Florida and found Rain-X to be ideal...for glass.

I work in a facility the uses Plexus to clean the Compact Discs we maufacture...god enough for them, good enough for me.

I trashed the first windshield of my K-75T with Rain-X.

Ever since, it's been Plexus or Saeng's Can-Do form my plastics. And NEVER paper towels -- cloth only. Remember, paper is made from wood, and using paper towels on plastic is like beating it with a 2 by 4!

So the real question: how do those anti-scratch coatings hold up when treated with RainX? confused.gif

The anti scratch coatings are usually silica (not silicone) based. As such, no solvent will touch them.

So the real question: how do those anti-scratch coatings hold up when treated with RainX?

Several years ago I tried Rain-x on a brand new snowmobile helmet visor.Big mistake,it ate into the protective coating immediately and smeared it beyond repair.

Know what that stuff is? Denatured alcohol, or at least it smells rather strongly of it. ...

I think denatured alcohol is the carrier that is designed to evaporate during product application.

Archived