IGNORED

***** GLENO - IN MEMORIUM *****

Blake

I thought it would only be fitting to start another picture thread in Gleno's honor, given the latest thread he started and the several photos that I've seen others post, which I've already copied below in no particular order (please forgive my copyright infringement, but I didn't think you'd mind).

Feel free to post any and all pictures for the rest of us to see and get to know him better, especially for those of us who didn't!

ericfoerster.jpg

David-2.jpg

David-1.jpg

Jake.jpg

Rainy.jpg

steveknapp.jpg

stubble.jpg

Lone_RT_rider.jpg

Gleno was there on the happiest day of my life so far, and I suppose I am blessed to be able to say that this is the worst so far, but it doesn't feel like a blessing right now. I've got lots more great shots of gleno once I get a chance to upload them somewhere.

4980425-O.jpg

4980426-O.jpg

4980431-O.jpg

4980438-O.jpg

4980439-O.jpg

russell_bynum

Vegas Tech Daze - September of 2001. Spreading the love.

DSCN0035.JPG

Gleno and Terri on the "Macarena Red" RT on the way to the first BMWRT.COM Christmas Party at ShortCut's place up in Northern California. December 2001

DSCN0001.JPG

Marin BMW Open House - March 2002

DSCN0049.JPG

Father's Day weekend 2002. I think this is right after I pushed the timing hole cover into the bellhousing and Gleno is saying something about me being a retarded freak-boy crack-smoker reject from heehaw mofracker.

DSCN0006.JPG

Torrey - Enroute to Gunnison. June 2002 with Jim Shoop and Kris.

Gunny-Jun02.jpg

Gunnison. Hangin' with the monkey. June 2002.

Gunny-Jun021.jpg

Chi-Town Christmas party. With PaperButt and Dave. Deceber 2002.

Chitown-Dec02.jpg

Chitown-De021.jpg

Chitown-Dec022.jpg

Brian and Meghan's wedding. He cleaned up nice, didn't he? smile.gif

BrianMeghan-Apr03.jpg

Torrey. With Marty, Laney, and Paul. September 2005.

Torrey-Sep05.jpg

"Larger That Life"

That's the phrase that keeps coming to me everytime I think of Gleno..and that's what he was. Everything he did, he did it 100%. And Gleno's 100% was so far above a normal person's 100% that it is hard to describe. If he smiled, the whole damn room lit up. If he laughed, you had no choice but to laugh with him. If he hugged you, you felt it for days afterwards. If he enjoyed a ride, he'd run around like a monkey on crack telling everyone about it. You couldn't NOT get swept up in it all. If he said he'd make dinner for a few folks at Torrey, he showed up with a BBQ that you have to tow behind a truck, and gave up his afternoon making some of the best damn food you've ever had...for 100 people. After Tom Roe helped him tune his RT, he got all fired up and hosted the first Tech Daze with 30+ people at his house for a 3-day weekend of wrenching, eating, and lots of laughing. That's just how he was...if he did it, he did it ALL THE WAY. I've never met anyone so full of life.

Several people have posted about how they never met Gleno, but felt like they were great friends. Or they've only met him once for a few minutes, but still consider him a close friend. That's how he was. I don't make friends quickly, but 10 seconds after taking my helmet off when I arrived at Vegas Tech Daze, I was standing there talking to one of my closest friends.

I've ridden with him, broken bread with him, laughed with him, cried with him, and worried about him. We spent hours on the phone talking. The conversation would start out about making plans for Torrey or something, and 2 hours later, we've talked about track days, this group, the grandkids (his entire world revolved around family and those little "nose miners" meant more to him than just about anything else.), faith, BBQ, racing, and just about anything else you can think of.

My only comfort right now is knowing that he died doing something he truely loved, with people he cared about. My thoughts and prayers go out to Glen's family and all of us who had the privelidge of knowing Glen.

The next time you're up at the overlook at the top of UT-72, if you hear the faint howl of a liter-class sportbike on the pipe and cooking full-tilt boogie, that's Gleno...knee on the deck, rear tire squirming, and grinning from ear to ear inside his helmet.

Godspeed, Gleno.

Torrey. With Marty, Laney, and Paul. September 2005.

Torrey-Sep05.jpg

That picture had to have been taken within moments of when I first met Gleno in person. Leading up to that, I remember ROFLMAO when Gleno quipped to Marty and Paul how nice it would be that they could get together in Torrey and reminisce about the day the wheel was invented.grin.gif When I arrived at the CW, I sought out Marty and Paul to introduce myself. We were first in line at the buffet table, followed shortly by Gleno, who got a charge out of my nametag:

37592784-S.jpg

"What!?! You're not the nipple who posted all that shi..."

I'm glad now that I might have given him at least one laugh for all those he'd given me.

I can't grasp how many people Gleno must have met and touched in his life, but I've been impressed that even in my few interactions with him, that truly big heart showed through that gruff exterior.

Before DV in '06 I PM'd him for a suggested route to get the Team Schnauzer Tour Bus through Vegas with the least amount of hassle. He replied promptly with directions that were spot on. When we got to Pahrump, I called his cell to thank him, but could only leave VM. A few minutes later, rolling toward Death Valley, I see a pair of narrowly spaced headlights behind the Bus, getting closer. Next thing I know, I'm looking down thru the driver's window at a rider pacing me and giving me the thumbsup.gif. "Who's that?" I said aloud, and Heidi leaned over to look. Then he passed us and began pulling away, and we knew for sure:

am_run_3_114.jpg

Just a few minutes after that, we saw the FJR pulled over on the other side of the road. confused.gif As we got closer, it appeared that we'd almost run up on him in the middle of "seeing a man about a horse." grin.gif He was soon back on his steed, passing us again, and leading us to the Longstreet.

Because we tried to pack too much activity into too little time, Heidi and I missed the meet-n-greet at Torrey last fall. We had no idea anyone might be concerned about us. The next night at the BBQ, who was one of the first to walk up to me and let me know he was glad we were there and that we were OK? Yup, Gleno.

I’m still in shock over this. Heidi is too. A while back I told her that I’d never encountered anyone who resembled her brother, Lance, as much as Gleno. Not in looks, but in the way they were. Like twin sons from different mothers. At first she didn’t believe me. But after she got to know him some, she had to agree. She even told her mother about the uncanny resemblance.

All this about a guy who might otherwise be considered a figment of cyberspace? Nope, he was as real as they come.

Damn, what a loss. We’re gonna miss him. Lots.

russell_bynum

Just a few minutes after that, we saw the FJR pulled over on the other side of the road. As we got closer, it appeared that we'd almost run up on him in the middle of "seeing a man about a horse." He was soon back on his steed, passing us again, and leading us to the Longstreet.

lmao.gif

Yeah, that's Gleno!

Torrey IV, Escalante

143478-O-1.jpg

Torrey V, Gleno's place with Wurty

256464-M-1.jpg

Torrey VI, with baby Maddy

1697652-M.jpg

1697649-M.jpg

Death Valley 2004

2210898-O.jpg

Fare Thee Well My Brother

Doing what he loved

256456-L-1.jpg

I think this is right after I pushed the timing hole cover into the bellhousing and Gleno is saying something about me being a retarded freak-boy crack-smoker reject from heehaw mofracker.

Thanks, Russell. That's the first time today that I laughed instead of cried. GMac would want that.

I am not an eloquent person, especially in print, so I can not imagine putting it any better than Russell stated above and quoted here:

"Larger That Life"

"Everything he did, he did it 100%. And Gleno's 100% was so far above a normal person's 100% that it is hard to describe..."

I feel fortunate to have known and spent time with Gleno. I feel I am a much better person for having known him. From the first Pied Piper run and Tech Daze at Gleno's home to the '07 DVD ride, every moment spent in his presence made me feel just that much more alive.

To be using the past tense here is just ripping me up. bncry.gif

The next time you're up at the overlook at the top of UT-72, if you hear the faint howl of a liter-class sportbike on the pipe and cooking full-tilt boogie, that's Gleno...knee on the deck, rear tire squirming, and grinning from ear to ear inside his helmet.

Godspeed, Gleno.

Amen.

My neurons have been pinging all over the place today and I kept thinking, "What can I do? How can I help TMac?" Flowers? Meh, hours ago. Then I thought back to a PM I sent Glen right after Teri's surgery, asking the same thing. His reply:

" Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Uuhhh okay...it's your turn to hold her pretty head while she pours tears of real pain.

Brother...I've NEVER experienced anything worse than my wonderful wife crying."

My friends, that was Glen, a weathered, ridden hard exterior, but a heart bigger than all.

It is killing me right now that she is doing the same thing now as then. So, the question still goes unanswered, "What can I do?"

I don't have any pictures, but I do have memories. I can still remember my reaction when I first saw Gleno; Torrey '05. He pulled into the Chuckwagon on his Gixxer and then got off the bike and said "Sup, Dude" in that low gravelly voice. I was scared to death of the guy. I thought "what a bad ass and bad ass rider". Didn't talk to him at all. In the fall I ran into him again at Torrey and he came up to me and said "Yo, Dude!!" and gave me a hug just like Russell described. I started to get to know Gleno. One thing led to another and next thing I know, I'm riden with him, laughen with him, he and his wonderful wife are inviting me into their home. I realized that I had gotten one out of two right. He was a kick ass rider (one not to mess with), but he wasn't a bad ass at all. Underneath that tough exterior was a heart of gold and a sharp wit. I told him to write a book of "Glenoisms". He said he would. Maybe we can do it for him. He's one of those guys that we are all lucky, whether you've met him in person on just talked to him on the Board, to have known. There's not going to be another one like him. I know when it's my time, he's going to be one of the first ones that I look up.

STUNNED, shocked, and deeply saddened. Kathie and I met Gleno at Spring Torrey, 2004. His arm was in that sling and he was the BBQ man.

Gleno was full of life and a regular guy...you couldn't dislike him if you tried. This is a sad day indeed. I'm in a state of disbelief.

Here's a picture from the first time I ever met Gleno... we were on our way to Torrey... Spring 2001. Some crazy dude from Minnesota rode down to meet us, and this mofracker walks into the Iron Skillet... thought he wanted to take my wallet.

We've been friends ever since...

P5170037.JPG

I will always look up to this man.

The last time I rode with Gleno returning from Torrey XII. There's Jerry "The Beav", Brian, Me, G-Mac, and Wurty. This was about the only time all weekend that Gleno and Wurty weren't flappin' their lips at each other. Thanks to Norah the Explorah for taking the pic.

128278646-L.jpg

The day before, two boys kickin' around rocks in Capitol Reef NP.

128278722-L.jpg

Yep, gonna miss you bro...

Words keep failing me right now, so I thought I would take all of these great pictures and set them to music.

Of course, Gleno would probably have something to say about my choice of "soft music", but the song just seemed to fit.

I hope you enjoy the memories. It's been nice to have the project to work on to keep me from my tears. All the pictures make me smile.

(and thanks everyone for letting me borrow your very best Gleno pix!)

Gleno Memorial Video (20mb)

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Thanks Lisa. That finally got me. Yesterday evening I was just in shock. Then I couldn't sleep last night. This brought on the emotional gut reaction I need. Thanks again.

Gleno, you will be missed by many.

Thanks Lisa. That finally got me.

+1. I thought I'd kinda already been got, but that pushed me over the edge. What a beautiful tribute, Lisa. Thanks for sharing it.

Words keep failing me right now, so I thought I would take all of these great pictures and set them to music.

Of course, Gleno would probably have something to say about my choice of "soft music", but the song just seemed to fit.

I hope you enjoy the memories. It's been nice to have the project to work on to keep me from my tears. All the pictures make me smile.

(and thanks everyone for letting me borrow your very best Gleno pix!)

Gleno Memorial Video (20mb)

I thought yesterday was bad and that today might be a little better... I was wrong.

Thanks for putting this together Lisa. I was able to get through about 1/2 of it when I had to stop. I watched it at work... Mistake #1.. bncry.gif

I ran out of Kleenex... Mistake #2.. tongue.gif

Man this is going to be hard...

bncry.gif

quote]With tears streaming, I'll say this.

Gleno was the best friend I never met. bncry.gif

+1. He touched so many people in so many ways. With Gleno, you belonged and you were his best friend too.

Thank you so much Lisa for putting that together. I too could only make it 1/2 way through. First. I’m at work and second I only have 5 tissues to last the day and then I am down to paper towels.

Lisa, thanks for your hard work on the video, it was outstanding. And FWIW, I liked your music choice! smirk.gif

Considering how I have been since learning the news, Gleno must have been the very best friend I never got to meet. He was a person who was beginning to influence my moto-travel plans because I wanted to meet him. I wanted to "experience" the man called "Gleno."

My various experiences with him here on the DB told me that he was a guy I'd connect with and have a blast with, if for nothing else, then for sharing BBQ secrets and talking serious music.

Gleno, you are missed. I expect your BBQ sauce recipe to come to me in a dream, my friend! smirk.gif

Thanks Lisa. Finally was able to watch it. Crying alone right now but have changed my plans and will be in torrey in may to be with the group. I need to see all of you and be with you as we remember Gleno.

18288085-M.jpg

I'll be you anything that Gleno made a smartass comment about EB's very fashionable boots. tongue.gif

LOL

I just remember that he kept me company while my ankle healed that day. Gleno with his arm in a sling and me with my ankle wrapped up.. weren't we the pair.... and still he wanted to wait on me... smirk.gif

2 times Glen made me tear up:

Yesterday (D'uh)

His birthday last year. He spoke of family and friends, mentioning me as someone who's paw he wanted to shake. I was honored and touched when I read that. Thank God we made that happen. Glen had that effect: People felt better because Glen considered you a friend. Just look at the tidal wave of people proud to have that as one of their life's measures.

Then, he ticked me off....in a Glen kinda way:

Christmas '06. Family's over. Gotta feed 'em. The harvest from the local store yields a heat-n-eat ham, deli tater salad, rolls...you get the idea. Come home. Check the board. Argh. Glen's idea:

"

Awww c'mon. You KNOW I loves my food topics. grin.gif

Anyways...I was asked to take the wheel today. I decided to escrew a buncha tradition. Suffice to say...the animals are still in there elbow deep. thumbsup.gif

Howzabout some hand rubbed, hickory smoked, homeade BBQ sauce, babybacks?? 9 Racks in all, and I tested one rack with a sweet/hot mix of the BBQ sauce and habanero mixture. They disappeared instantly.

DSCN4513.jpg

While the ribs were workin', I got after some appetizers. Here's some stuffed with garlic creme cheese, bacon wrapped, jalapenos on the grill.

DSCN4515.jpg

For the "lighter" eaters, I made some mini kebobs of lil smokies, pineapple, and bell pepper. The little ones dance around "Papas" grill just waiting for goodies. It's quite entertaining actually. They ate 'em up.

DSCN4516.jpg

I boiled some corn, then rubbed it with olive oil, light salt/pepper, wrapped with bacon and a little grill time netted somma the best corn I've yet to taste.

DSCN4518.jpg

Coupla simple dishes next. Fresh sweet potatoes with pineapple was really tasty. Fresh green beans with mini spuds and onion topped it off.

DSCN4519.jpg

DSCN4520.jpg

The daughter made some great yeast rolls that I missed a pic of, and that I have yet to try to make. NOT a bread guy.

We had/have a houseful of family. Besides a 2 hour ride on the 996 today, it's been nothing short of a glorious Christmas with family.

Just thought I'd share. HAPPIEST HOLIDAZE to the entire BMWST family. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Please, share your day, traditions, tables, tales with us.

Argh. GREAT friggin' ham.

I love him for that.

Thank you for sharing. I never met Glen, the pictures help put a face to that wonderful spirt behind all those posts. He'll be missed. RIP Gleno

Joe Frickin' Friday
I thought yesterday was bad and that today might be a little better... I was wrong.

Thanks for putting this together Lisa. I was able to get through about 1/2 of it when I had to stop. I watched it at work... Mistake #1.. bncry.gif

I ran out of Kleenex... Mistake #2.. tongue.gif

Man this is going to be hard...

bncry.gif

Well Rainy, I'm with Shawn: the IT folks at work have been getting cranky about people hogging bandwidth. Between that and your comments, I figured I ought to wait until I got home. I'm glad I did. Very...um...cathartic. crazy.gifbncry.gif

Lisa, that was brilliant; thanks for your efforts. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but no single snapshot is enough to capture the essence of Gleno; that montage came pretty damn close to the mark though. Thanks again.

90%Angel said Of course, Gleno would probably have something to say about my choice of "soft music"..

Yeah, I reckon he'd want the Insane Clown Posse playing, but that's Gleno.

Nice job, Lisa.

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Thanks all for the comments on the video. It was cathartic for me to make it.

I am considering putting together another one with an entirely different tone; using funny shots and more "gleno-esque" music, so keep the snapshots (and videos if you got 'em) coming. May have to wait on that one though; I am just too bummed to smile right now, and I really want the next one to be a smile, cause that's what Gleno was. thumbsup.gif

Lisa, I actually have a complete copy of Gleno's ipod from maybe a year ago. We were messing around with it, and he didn't want to lose his tracks, so I backed it up.

I'll have it in BC this weekend.

On a slightly different but related subject, I'd somehow like to keep a copy of this thread with all the pix to remember my friend - OUR friend. How would be the best way to do that? TIA

Archived