IGNORED

Broken bolts

agingb1ker

Hi fellow riders, after servicing my R1150RT I am left without cylinder head protection because some of the bolts have broken off. Anyone out there hay any suggestion how I can rectify this so I can refit the protection.

Thanks in advance. frown.gif

you didn't say how they came to be broken off. if you broke them off, then i would be leery of going into my heads with a drill. i might just take the bike to a good shop and get them repaired.

When removing the bolts for the protectors which had seized in place (probably due to the heat of the engine)

I found that 2 had already been snapped off clean, and the ones that broke when I removed them have been left with a few millimetres showing.

bncry.gif

When removing the bolts for the protectors which had seized in place (probably due to the heat of the engine)

I found that 2 had already been snapped off clean, and the ones that broke when I removed them have been left with a few millimetres showing.

bncry.gif

You bought this bike used I assume?

You do live in England where corrosion is rampant! So....

It's more likely a corrosion (dissimilar metals) + heat issue that that resulted in the break.

Add on top of that knowing (or not knowing) what a breaking bolt or stud feels like. Although I'm sure it's etched into you now.

If your mechanical skill is somewhat limited please follow the previous advice and seek a professional to make the needed repairs.

The cost would be minimal to what could happen if you try to do it yourself without the proper knowledge.

Best of luck.

Archived