IGNORED

Ultimate Radar Detector

BamaRider

I'm gonna ask this for you tech savvy individuals.

Many law enforcement agencies use GPS tracking on their units. Now why can't someone come up with a full functional GPS with the ability to lock on that signal and put a icon on my Zumo like device?

Perhaps lock in on something else like microwave emissions?? The radio or something else unique? Taking the info and inteface it with the GPS and in were in business!

IMHO investing big money in a radar detector is not good business, as more and more agencies make the switch to laser. Given the current technology the only thing a laser detector is gonna do is tell ya you're fixin to get a ticket.

The best 'anti-ticket' device on my 12RT is the cruise control. Set it and forget it, on the slab at least.

The rest of the time 'ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances' crazy.gif

Jim

The simple answer is that most patrol cars do not have GPS tracking for the dispatch center. Those that do have a GPS receiver have what is similar to all other receivers in that the GPS unit is passive and does not transmit information. The information is either transmitted via RF modem or in data packet wireless transmissions. Either way, there are no consumer products on the market that would allow you to do this in a simple way. I suppose that you could cobble together a few items if the method of transmission was RF but it would not fit in your tank bag.

Due to the advances in Donut Sniffer technology, Law Enforcement has been required to modify their patrol practices. We are now issued a nice PD blue or SO green Tupperware container for our donuts. Not only does it reduce the range at which you can detect us, it also locks in freshness as well.

Actually, most police cars transmit a signal that is sent out to the main transmission tower to let the police officer know that his car is always in range of the radio transmitter.

There are portable scanners that will pick up this signal and let you know that a police car is in the general area. This works very well.........

But most police cars leave their radar guns on at all times (I have no idea why). My Passport 8500 is constantly picking up police cars in doughnut shop parking lots.

I have a detector and have noticed that many LEO's leave their radar on constant. My theory is that they want to slow down drivers, not issue tickets. Hence, you get the red blinking lights warning not the flashing lights tickie.

What a concept. I like to think the best of my friends in bleu. thumbsup.gif

I've noticed that the WA state troopers seem to leave thier radar units off. I'm always surprised when my new V1 is silent as I pass an idling WST'er.

AL

Lone_RT_rider
Due to the advances in Donut Sniffer technology, Law Enforcement has been required to modify their patrol practices. We are now issued a nice PD blue or SO green Tupperware container for our donuts. Not only does it reduce the range at which you can detect us, it also locks in freshness as well.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

dopeslap.gifeek.gif

Shawn

Many law enforcement agencies use GPS tracking on their units. Now why can't someone come up with a full functional GPS with the ability to lock on that signal and put a icon on my Zumo like device?

I think that's classified technology. If that were accessible, then any foreign military would instantly know the location of US military assets.

From my understanding GPS locators work by transmitting the GPS coordinates locally (short-range) or remotely (via satellite).

You could deliver GPS-embedded donuts to them everyday and then you will be able to track them right till they take a dump. grin.gif

I don't know if it is still available....but many years back there was a reciever available that intercepted signals from patrol cars. Evidently some of them emmit signals occasionally to let headquarters know they are active, as well as the radio transmissions they have to make when patrolling. I want to think the system was sold by Uniden and was called the "BEARTRACKER".

As for radar detectors, the really good ones (V1) are the only ones to rely on. I have no doubt that the two of them I own have MORE than paid for themselves since my first one in 1994. Laser is hard to defense, but it is comparitively hard for officers to use. We see the lasers come out in the Houston area near the end of the month to help with the quotas (oops, there are no quotas!).

GPS is passive. The GPS receiver (any GPS receiver) only receives a signal from several satellites. It transmits nothing.

Perhaps I misunderstand the question, but I cannot see what GPS has to do with a cop standing there pointing a radar or laser radar gun at you.

GPS is passive. The GPS receiver (any GPS receiver) only receives a signal from several satellites. It transmits nothing.

Perhaps I misunderstand the question, but I cannot see what GPS has to do with a cop standing there pointing a radar or laser radar gun at you.

I think he means a device to detect the return link sending the GPS data back to the dispatch center, similar to the 'Beartracker' device mentioned earlier that would look for any strong signals in established police bands and inform the operator that a police vehicle may be nearby (yes, that product actually existed.) The problem is that these days the return link for the mobile data could be on virtually any service from satellite to cellular to who-knows-what and identifying it would not be very easy or practical. I'm afraid that a radar detector and your good 'ol eyeballs are about the best tools we have... grin.gif

GPS tracking systems use a GPS to get a fix of the cars location, then transmit that location back by radio. In the UK this is done by a Private Mobile radio licenced transmitter or by using cell-phone technology to send periodic updates.

It would be easy to detect PMR type signals, locating them in a highly reflective environment presents some real headaches and the methods I know of require heavy-duty processing to get a reliable answer. If cell-phone technology is used, it would be very difficult to isolate the signal unless you know the transmitter's ID code.

All in all, leaving large traps baited with doughnuts would be a better solution. grin.gif

Andy

All in all, leaving large traps baited with doughnuts would be a better solution. grin.gif

Hmm, the OP asked about putting an icon on his GPS receiver. A file with coordinates of donut shops, displayed as points of interest on the GPS, that oughta be feasible.

Anyway, do donut shops attract LEOs in the UK, Andy? I don't recall seeing many donut shops there. For sure I never went in one.

Anyway, do donut shops attract LEOs in the UK, Andy? I don't recall seeing many donut shops there. For sure I never went in one

My answer was tailored to the US market grin.gif

We do not have doughnut shops - just the occasional mobile stall. In the UK LEO's are most likely to be found in stationary shops getting the raw materials needed for modern policing thumbsup.gif

Andy

Jerry Johnston

The cop cars radio puts out a signal that can be picked up by scanners and lights up a scanner light to let you know there's a police car near by but only works if they leave their radio on.

• 4 weeks later...

... coordinates of donut shops, displayed as points of interest on the GPS, that oughta be feasible.

Anyway, do donut shops attract LEOs ... For sure I never went in one.

We are always on the lookout for folks with donuts on the front grille or hood lmao.gif that are trolling for leos lmao.gif

Archived