IGNORED

An Easy Way to Install Foam Grip Covers

RichEdwards

When I received my foam grip covers from Grip-Tek today, they came with no installation instructions. I said to myself that this seems a lot like installing a new golf grip on a golf shaft, a task I have done many, many times. So I got out my double-sided tape (2 inches wide, sticky on both sides) and wrapped it around the worn grips on my RT and my GS. Then I sprayed it with "grip activator", a solvent that turns the adhesive from sticky to slick as grease. (Odorless paint thinner will work well too.) I also sprayed the inside of the foam grip covers. Then I slid on the grip covers quite easily. The whole installation on both bikes took about 15 minutes. thumbsup.gif

I forgot to mention that you should not ride the bike for a few hours so that the solvent can evaporate and the tape can become sticky again and hold the grips firmly in place.

Jerry Johnston

I didn't need any tape or glue. I used an air compressor on the end sticking out and blew the foam up like a balloon and slid it on. Learned it from a bicycle shop. You just keep a finger wrapped around the end that's sliding on. In 8yrs it never turned or rotated on the grip.

I was putting heated grips on my KLR last year. They suggested I get new grips, as the old ones were hard to get off. Not me, I'm too cheap to get grips I don't need.

Wrestle with the throttle side, finally get it off, put on the heated grip thingy, lube up the old grip with hair spray, and it slides right on. No sweat! smile.gif

The other side is welded to the bar, won't come off for nothing. I struggle for a while, then I remember the compressed air trick, I cut a little slit in the end, poke in the air nozzle and giv'er a blast! The throttle grip shoots across the yard! blush.gif

After I find the throttle grip in the weeds, I manage to get it back on. Finally I cut the left grip to pieces, and then take a long time to scrape the remainder off. crazy.gif

Back to the store for new grips. dopeslap.gif Put the left side heater on, lube the grip and on it goes.

Had toasty digits ever since, but what a pain to re and re the grips.

I can hardly wait to do the clutch! clap.gif

Quote "The other side is welded to the bar, won't come off for nothing. I struggle for a while, then I remember the compressed air trick, I cut a little slit in the end, poke in the air nozzle and giv'er a blast! The throttle grip shoots across the yard"!

lmao.gif I can see it doing that! lmao.gif

That is the kind of luck I have.

Archived