IGNORED

New Transmission Question?

skyskier

I just got my bike (R1100RTP) back after having a new transmission installed. I asked the service manager if I should change the trans fluid after about 600 miles. He said I could, but there was no reason to. eek.gif They didn’t use any special kind of break-in fluid in it. They just put regular trans fluid in it. I’m going to change the fluid at 600 miles anyway, I feel that with a new transmission there will probably be a little bit of metal in there that I should get out. But my question is this; can I go with synthetic fluid now or should I wait a little while longer for everything to settle in real good before going to synthetics.

Thanks.

I just got my bike (R1100RTP) back after having a new transmission installed. I asked the service manager if I should change the trans fluid after about 600 miles. He said I could, but there was no reason to. eek.gif They didn’t use any special kind of break-in fluid in it. They just put regular trans fluid in it. I’m going to change the fluid at 600 miles anyway, I feel that with a new transmission there will probably be a little bit of metal in there that I should get out. But my question is this; can I go with synthetic fluid now or should I wait a little while longer for everything to settle in real good before going to synthetics.

Thanks.

Now that's just plain unusual. My R1100RTP is getting it's rebuilt transmission tomorrow (plus about 4 weeks time for me to put it all back together). dopeslap.gif

What happen to your bike's tranny? What year is it? How many miles at failure?

Thx

Now that's just plain unusual. My R1100RTP is getting it's rebuilt transmission tomorrow (plus about 4 weeks time for me to put it all back together). dopeslap.gif

What happen to your bike's tranny? What year is it? How many miles at failure?

Thx

Leaving from a signal, first gear started making some really ugly and loud sounds like metal clashing. It was only first gear but you could tell from the noise that it was terminal. bncry.gif The bike is a 2000RTP with 72K. But here is the other part of the story. 3 months and 3K miles ago it started making a high pitched screeching sound sometimes when accelerating in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gears. This was not all the time but it just wasn’t right so I took it into the dealer. The dealer said it was one of the main bearings and they would replace all 4 bearings as long as they had to get into the case anyway. The bearings aren’t that much, the labor is the killer. They had the bike for a month and when I got it back the noise was gone. The service manager assured me that they had gone through everything and everything else was okay. Fast-forward back to now. I take my bike back to the dealer because the service manager had told me that the bearing work had a 2 year warrantee parts and labor. I get to the dealer and now they have a new service manager (the old one had been fired). He tells me that the warrantee does not cover labor after 30 days but the parts are 2 years. confused.gif He tells me they won’t know for sure until they tear down the trans what the exact problem is but he doesn’t think it was the bearings that failed and that I will probably need a new trans. eek.gif Well after a $1,000 bearing job, I was not to pleased to hear I needed a new trans (parts and labor around $3000). I explained that I was told by this service department just 3 months earlier that my trans was good. I left, not real happy and waited for the news. I decided I would wait and make my fight with the owner if the news was not in my favor. I get the call from the service manager and he tells me the trans is shot. Before I can even ask for the owner, he says he is real sorry and they should have put in a new trans the first time I brought the bike in. He goes on to say that they will eat all my costs from the bearing job by applying that amount towards the trans job and only charging me their cost for the new trans. So, that put my fire out in a hurry. I got a new trans installed for $1,800. thumbsup.gif I went in to the dealership the next day to thank him personally for taking responsibility and being honest with me. I also talked to the general manager and told him how pleased I was that this was handled without me having to even complain about how I felt they should take responsibility for the work done on the trans the first time.

Let me tell you about the new trans. It is unbelievable the difference in the bike. What I had thought before was lash in the driveline must have been in the gear train. The bike is so smooth now, with none of that jerk I used to get trying to drive slow in first gear. The gears just slip into place, very little if any of the old clunk. When I put the bike into first gear from neutral, almost no sound. I find myself looking at the gear indicator to make sure it went into gear. The new trans is great, and as good as I thought the bike ran when I bought it, it runs a hundred times better now. clap.gifclap.gif

Good luck with your installation and hopefully it would take that long to install it.

We'll get together, swap bikes (your 2000 and my 2001), and compare the difference.

Just another excuse for a weekend ride ... wink.gif

I'm absolutely, certainly confident that I might get this bike back together again in 4 weeks, with only a half dozen or so extra parts sitting on the floor. I mean ... the bike came apart easy enough; how hard could it be to just reverse the steps and put it back together?? dopeslap.gif

Archived