IGNORED

Odyssey battery question

Lawman

Just replaced the stock gel battery on my R1200RT with the Odyssey battery. All I've read and heard cautioned me to be sure to get the right angle brackets because the Odyssey had flat terminals with a screw in the top and not posts like the stock battery. Since all my bike battery connections are just round washers on the end I turned them over on their side and screwed them down to the flat Odyssey terminals with the supplied screw..Seems to work just fine..Am I missing something? confused.gif

What was the part # of the Odyssey battery that you used? Have you noticed any significant starting improvements?

I used the PC680MJ (MJ stands for metal jacket).

It seems stronger but the real test will be in cold weather..I was not happy with the gel battery on cold mornings..

Just replaced the stock gel battery on my R1200RT with the Odyssey battery. All I've read and heard cautioned me to be sure to get the right angle brackets because the Odyssey had flat terminals with a screw in the top and not posts like the stock battery. Since all my bike battery connections are just round washers on the end I turned them over on their side and screwed them down to the flat Odyssey terminals with the supplied screw..Seems to work just fine..Am I missing something? confused.gif

If it works, then it works! You're not missing anything here. thumbsup.gif

I have considered this battery for my own RT for when the OEM battery fails. It sounds like the electrical connections are easy. Is the battery an exact fit otherwise in terms of hardware and securing it in place?

Jay

Here's a picture of a Hawker (manufacturer of Odyssey) battery in an R1150R http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150r/battery.jpg

Notice the stock lugs and how they mate to the battery terminals, and you'll see why the 11xx models need those right angle adapters to make Hawker batteries an easy replacement for stock. I made mine from copper stock here at work.

The battery you see there is a Hawker Energy Genesis XE16X model. We use these Hawkers at work ( http://www.novaelectric.com/ ) in our military UPS Systems, and it is very similar to the vaunted "Odyssey" battery Hawker sells for motorcycles. Expected lifecycle is 8-10 years rated at 25 degrees ambient. This is about double what you would see out of the Exide gel cells normally sold by BMW for the bike. Our controller here at work has had one in his Harley since 1997, and it's still going strong! And best of all, it was free!! Perks of the job....

The "metal jacket" Odyssey, like the metal jacket Genesis, is to allow for high temp operation without the plastic body of the battery deforming from heat. In the case of the Odyssey, it takes operating temp range from an already high 45 degrees C to an astounding 80 degrees C. Low temp (-20 C) delivered capacity is roughly double the usual generic sealed, maintenance-free batteries we're used to on bikes - so you will have no problems starting on those cold mornings, believe me!

I deal with batteries for a living - let me tell you, if your OEM battery is shot, it's a NO-BRAINER to get a Hawker product.

-MKL

Archived