IGNORED

Audio Output on Garmin 2730

Aluminum_Butt

Aluminum_Butt

The plummeting price of the 2730 has me about ready to pull the trigger on one. But I just want to button up a couple of things.

It is my plan to get the Motorcycle Mounting Kit. Here's the questions:

1. Will the mount in this kit fasten to my Gadget Guy base plate like my SP3 mount does?

2. I read in some other posts that the audio out on the Garmin cable is mono, but that there is a 3.5mm stereo plug on the side of the 2730. True? If so, is there a cable available that would just supply the power to the 2730, and not leave an extra plug hanging off the works?

TIA!

I don't know about the SP111 mount.....

I couldn't find a simple 12V DC cord. The only one I could find was the Motorcycle cord that had the audio out dangling off the side. If you find something else, please let me know......

I read in some other posts that the audio out on the Garmin cable is mono, but that there is a 3.5mm stereo plug on the side of the 2730. True? If so, is there a cable available that would just supply the power to the 2730, and not leave an extra plug hanging off the works?

TIA!

I asked this same question about a month ago - here is the answer: Scroll about a third of the way down this page,it's title is power interface cable for Garmin 2600,2700 series.

http://cycoactive.com/gps/powint.htm

JR356

Hello:

Just cut and seal with liquid tape the mono cable that is part of the power harness. You have a stereo output on the left side of the unit. I have this unit mounted on a ram system in the middle of the handlebars. Its a great unit.

RD

Here is a past post that describes my setup.

I recently bought a 2730 and mounted it between the handlebars, I also read that the garmin connectors tend to loosen after frequent use. I decided to install the gps and the antenna as one unit on a ram bracket using an automotive connector to connect and disconnect the gps from the mc. This reduces the everyday usage on the garmin connectors. This also helps to remove the unit from the bike at the end of the ride or day (loosen ball joint and pull 2 prong connector apart). I can install the gps in less than a minute and uninstall the gps in less than half a minute.

Hope this helps,

RD

One other thing. Don't obsess about how to mount the XM receiver. In my case, I have a windshield bag on my Harley, and I just toss the "hockey puck" in there any old way and get perfect reception. You can stick it in a tank bag and it will work as well.

Philip

Here is a pic of the back side of the garmin 2730, and motorola hf820, mounted on a ram system bracket. The motorcycle has a ram base mounted to one of the handlebar bolts. there are 3 connections involved - the stereo output and power for the gps and a telephone connection to the output to the autocom.

RD

808940-PICT0150.JPG.581b0325cc2bbb6fbd11e805168bc899.JPG

Archived