IGNORED

One battery charger for Odessey and BMW brand?

KDeline

Since we have a few bikes that now have Odessey and new (2007) BMW batterys, (till they wear out and replaced with Odessey), are the new Battery Tenders up to charging both types, and what model BT would I want?

I have yet to see any reason not to use the old style...I have a battery tender and it works fine, however you can always call battery tender and ask them directly....I did when I first got a pc680 and they said to go ahead and use my "old style" charger....

What chargers do you have now? smile.gif

I have a very old BMW battery charger that I bought in the early 80's, works so far on the PC680 and of course lead acid batterys, just don't know if it will work on the new high tech batterys they are making now. Mostly the people on this board is making me think I need a newer design one.

ShovelStrokeEd

Ya' know, I still don't understand this.

Nothing has changed about the charging system on the motorcycle, you have an alternator, a rectifier and a voltage regulator, the latter maintains the system voltage at somewhere around 13.8 volts. That charges your battery almost all the time, every time you ride.

If your battery accepts the same old charging system, why should it be any different when you connect a charger with the bike not running?

I will state that if you get into a deep discharge situation, it would probably be best to follow the battery mfg's recommendations. Even there, I would not hesitate to put my 13 year old BMW charger on the battery overnight to bring it up to level and then go for a nice long ride to complete the job.

Ken, what model bike are you talking about? The difference may not be the battery but the bike. If you have a 2005 or newer BMW with the Can-Bus system, the only charger you can use through the accessory plug is the special BMW (+/- $100) charger that is recognized by the bike. If you install a pigtail with a fuse straight to the battery, you can use any charger.

Ken, what model bike are you talking about? The difference may not be the battery but the bike. If you have a 2005 or newer BMW with the Can-Bus system, the only charger you can use through the accessory plug is the special BMW (+/- $100) charger that is recognized by the bike. If you install a pigtail with a fuse straight to the battery, you can use any charger.

Ed, Paul, thats the information I wanted to know. I will have a direct to battery bmw socket, (on a 2007 GSA) bypassing the Can Bus. I just keep hearing how I have to have a new charger for the new batterys that are out there, I could just not understand why. I keep hearing how the old chargers will burn up or not charge properly the new batterys. Guess I can keep my old charger. Thanks.

Make a connection directly to the battery, a directly wired accessory socket, 'pigtail' or whatever, then charge it with what you brought to the party!

The Odyssey is an AGM type battery, same type BMW is now putting in their new bikes (having dropped using gel batteries).

I will state that if you get into a deep discharge situation, it would probably be best to follow the battery mfg's recommendations.

Odyssey says that if you deep discharge their battery, you won't get 100% charge back with a trickle charger or Battery Tender-type charger.

Fortunately for you, Ken, if you ever need to fully recharge one of your Odyssey batteries, I have an Optimate Odyssey charger you can borrow.

Make a connection directly to the battery, a directly wired accessory socket, 'pigtail' or whatever, then charge it with what you brought to the party!

That's what I was hoping to hear! We've spent enough money.

Ken,

Are you sure the new models are no longer Gel?

This would be ideal since I have the old style BMW charger for the Odyssey and a new RT on the way.

That's why I asked about the CTEK charger a while back.

As far as I know, and as stated before by other members, a battery tender is a battery tender is a battery tender. They are NOT battery chargers.

A tender monitors the battery and turns itself on when the voltage drops to a certain level. Once the battery reaches a full charge it shuts off.

From Odessey web site.

There is another class of chargers that is designed specifically to maintain the battery in a high state of charge. These chargers, such as the Motocell™ 12V, 3A charger is not capable of charging a deeply discharged ODYSSEY® battery. This is due to the fact that these chargers have very low output power. They should only be used either to continuously compensate for parasitic losses or to maintain a trickle charge on a fully charged stored battery.

Again this refers to battery tenders not chargers.

The type of charger used to return a battery to a full charge after a FULL discharge is very different.

Archived