IGNORED

Gear Box Oil Level

LGannon

I just changed the oil in the gearbox and the manual says 800ml which should bring the level to the bottom threads of the filler hole, mine took nearer to 900ml, can I do any damage by overfilling?

Jerry Johnston

I would think it is hard on the seals when over filled but I've never paid much attention to the ml on mine I've always just filled to the bottom thread and in 58k miles I haven't had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky.

........Guess I'm in the minority here. crazy.gif I pour in a measured amount, ignoring the threads. It is always below the threads for the gearbox and the FD. That said, I can't imagine it matters much either way.

Just_wanna_Ride
Was the bike on the centerstand or sidestand?

Sidestand will cause it to read lower as the oil is towards the left.

Just a thought.

Every bike I have ever had you always check the fluid levels on the center stand. My Clymer book for my 2003 RT says to check it on the side stand. Now I have a small leak coming from the top of the transmission. Is the book right or should I let some drain out? I haven't tracked the source of the leak but it is extremely annoying and dripping on the cat.

ShovelStrokeEd

It is wrong. Gearbox oil level should be checked with the bike on level ground and the bike itself level. Actually the centerstand is not perfect for this either as one or the other wheel will be off the ground. I have always just put a bar end up against the garage wall and done it that way. Fill to the bottom of the threads in the top plug or, if you are sure you drained it very well, just put in the recommended amount.

If you filled it to that level while on the side stand it is over-full and probably dumping a bit out the breather on the top of the tranny.

Good news is you can suck some out through the filler hole using a turkey baster.

This is convenient... I just changed all my goo and although I had only had about 850ml of gear oil on hand and put it all in, it's short of the filler hole by less than 1cm. I looked closely inside as I spun the wheel and it looks fine. I can't see how that difference could possibly matter, I won't worry about it.

At the risk of hijack: The manual calls for either 90wt or 75w140. Seems like a pretty big difference. I've been using bmw 75w140. Has anyone noted different performance/shifting with straight 90?

It is wrong. Gearbox oil level should be checked with the bike on level ground and the bike itself level. Actually the centerstand is not perfect for this either as one or the other wheel will be off the ground. I have always just put a bar end up against the garage wall and done it that way. Fill to the bottom of the threads in the top plug or, if you are sure you drained it very well, just put in the recommended amount.

If you filled it to that level while on the side stand it is over-full and probably dumping a bit out the breather on the top of the tranny.

Good news is you can suck some out through the filler hole using a turkey baster.

Speaking of hijack, how do you determine if the bike is level. IOW, what do I put the level on?

ShovelStrokeEd

I just eyeball it but I spent the first 20 years of my working life as a pipe fitter and have a really good eye for it. If you are gonna get that anal about it, your gas filler cap would be a good spot. That, or pull the seat and go across the frame rails. A degree or so one way or the other isn't gonna mean much.

I have a friend who had a clutch replaced in his RT after only 45K miles. The certified BMW mechanic told him that one of the contributing factors of the premature clutch failure was possibly because the transmission fluid might have been overfilled. I have no idea how any fluid migrated and soiled the clutch, but I have always adhered to the mechanic's advice: "Never use any more or less than the factory-recommended amount." I have learned that more is not better.

should I let some drain out? I haven't tracked the source of the leak but it is extremely annoying and dripping on the cat.

move the cat lmao.gif

When my RT was young, I watched dealer's mechanic (hi B)carefully peer inside w/maglite while adding trans fluid so amount as at threads. FWIW that's how B did it.

Me, I'm OK whether it's manual's recommended cc or actual. No need to feed the OCD.

Wooster

If you put the empty system cases on the bike it will balance on the center stand with both wheels off the ground. I've never done this to check the fluids though, just an observation. Too much fluid in the final drive will puke out the breather valve, maybe not to the correct level, but I wouldn't think the seals would be blown since the pressure is released.

Just_wanna_Ride

should I let some drain out? I haven't tracked the source of the leak but it is extremely annoying and dripping on the cat.

move the cat lmao.gif

Cat moved and is much happier in the corner instead of under the bike. Thanks. thumbsup.gif

The certified BMW mechanic told him that one of the contributing factors of the premature clutch failure was possibly because the transmission fluid might have been overfilled.
Oh baloney. The BMW transmission in this bike is vented. If excess fluid is going to go anywhere it is going to go out the vent, not through a solid good rubber seal.

Archived