IGNORED

First fRIDEday in February

Bill_Walker

Jamie couldn't make it. Scott couldn't make it. So it came down to just Gregori and I... or so we thought. But when we arrived (15 minutes late) at the appointed gas station, we found, and met, 1100RT-P rider (and BMWST lurker) Steve from Brea. He'd seen the announcement in Ride Planning and figured he'd just show up!

The three of us set out. We rode up Highland Valley Rd. to Ramona, up Old Julian Highway and 78 to Julian, down 79 to Sunrise Highway, and thence to Mt. Laguna.

In deference to our friends in less clement locales (and because Gregori's camera had a dead battery), we refrained from taking any photos of the clear blue sky, sinuous roads, or of us having fun on said roads. No, we waited until we could take photos with snow in them!

IMG_0321.jpg

Steve and Greg make a new friend, who appears to have misplaced the rest of his team, his sled, his musher, and most of his snow.

IMG_0324.jpg

Greg and Steve demonstrate that it does snow in southern California.

IMG_0325.jpg

"What is this stuff?"

Leaving Mt. Laguna, we went to the Descanso Junction Restaurant for lunch. Just as we were getting ready to leave, a very small motorcycle with two people in very bright orange vests pulled up outside. The rider dismounted and came in and asked us for directions to a nearby location. We decided to lead them there. Steve split off at this point to battle Friday afternoon OC traffic, while Greg and I led these folks to the campground they were after. We stuck around and chatted a bit. It seems that they were a son and his 70-year-old mother, motor-homing around the country. He used to ride, and decided they needed a bike to augment the car they tow behind the motor home. So he picked up an old Yamaha Exciter 250 for $300, and refurbished it a bit.

Now, here's the kicker. Since they're already pulling a car on a dolly, in order to carry the bike he disassembles it and puts it, piece by piece, into the hatchback of the car! He pulls the forks, pulls the tank, pulls the engine(!), etc.

He showed us an Oregon driver's license that says "Permanent Traveler" on it.

Of course, these people were so unusual that their image could not actually be captured by photographic means... OK, actually, I guess the campground ranger who took a pic of all of us must not have pushed the shutter button far enough. But here's a picture of the bike in question:

IMG_0327.jpg

Greg and I headed down Japatul Valley Road and then 94 to his house where we hung out a bit, and then I was off home. All in all, a lovely day.

Nice 'Tale, Bill!!! And nice job flushing out another Steve!! thumbsup.gif

Are you sure you're up for another ride tomorrow in this beautiful weather over the same mountain range . . . although via different roads? wink.gifsmile.gif

I'm trying to get us our requisite Steve for our ride tomorrow too, but he's hesitating a bit. I think every ride should have at least one Steve, don't you think? lmao.gif

See you tomorrow at 08:00 for coffee and snacks. wave.gif

I'll be sure to pack fresh batteries for the camera! eek.gifgrin.gif

Great ride guys. I took one quick glance at the picture and knew you were up at Mt. Laguna. I rode up there about 3 months ago for the first time in 10 years. I totally forgot it is 6000 feet. The pines up there are beautiful. We have to do a camping trip up there before the summer rush. Burnt Rancheria campground is great.

In deference to our friends in less clement locales (and because Gregori's camera had a dead battery), we refrained from taking any photos of the clear blue sky, sinuous roads, or of us having fun on said roads. No, we waited until we could take photos with snow in them!

Well, thank you, thank you very little. tongue.gifwink.gif

Nice, cleverly written tale.thumbsup.gif

(... still waiting, impatiently, for clemency...)

Francois_Dumas

Snow in California.... woops, there goes another 'certainty' out the window !

I like the pictures though ! smile.gif

Sorry I missed it. But once finally "moved in" here, at least I'll have access to the rest of my riding gear!

Looks like you guys had fine weather and a great time. thumbsup.gif

Archived