IGNORED

Adding cruise control on my 2000 R1100RT

Capt_Ron

Does anyone have any recommendations about adding a cruise control on a R1100RT? I had a 2003 K1200LT and sold it when my wife decided she wanted her own bike (2004 R1150RS) and I picked up this nice little RT (200 lbs. lighter than the LT). But I sure miss the cruise I had on the LT. My RT has a Throttlemeister on it, but I really don't care for the throttle lock arrangement. I'm looking for a genuine cruise control. I found one company out of Australia, Motorcycle Cruise Control, that makes a nice unit, but it's expensive ($650+) and their model is specifically for the 1150, not the 1100.

Is there anything else out there that is safe, works reliably, and is reasonably priced?

That's funny, I was just thinking about that myself just a couple of hours ago, and found some websites of people that have. Here is what I have found so far, I am going to look into it a little more in the morning. Good luck, and post anything you may come up with or do.

http://www.mccruise.com/BMW-Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-p-1-c-465.html

http://www.rvbprecision.com/articles/24/motorcycle_electronic_cruise_control

I actually bought one of the mccruise units for my 2002 RT. The mccruise guys say "5 hours" for install. Took it to the BMW dealer near Durham/Raliegh, NC to install. GREAT guys, but the BMW cert mechanic sure didn't agree....told me it would take in excess of 12-15 hours and they would give NO guarantee it would work!! Really can't blame them.

I sent the unit back to Austrailia, as I just didn't want to chance it. Hoping they bring a franchise here to the states so we'd have better luck with maint/warranty, etc.

There are USA dealers available for the McCruise units.

I fitted one to mine recently all by myself and then went and helped a mate do the same thing. Yes the McCruise guys can do it in approx five hours, but that is all they have been doing for the past number of years. It took me and my mate considerably longer 'cos it was all a new experience and we didn't want to stuff up, but in the end everything worked perfectly due to the extensive installation and setup instructions provided.

I've got an install manual that I can email if anybody is interested. ('03 1150RT specific but should give you an idea)

Go on! Give it a go thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Thanks for the site references. The Audiovox CCS-100 is in the price range I had in mind though it appears to require a little adaptation. I don't mind as long as it works and it is safe. I'll continue to research this subject but I plan to install a true cruise control on my bike in the near future and I will carefully document that experience to share with others.

The MCC unit probably functions exceptionally well. Their price of $560 for a unit not specifically made for the R1100RT put me off. I know there has to be at least few R1100RTs still around. They assured me they knew of people who had successfully fitted the 1150 model onto an 1100 but they hadn't done it and couldn't guarantee anything. For $560? No thanks. I appreciate everyones input.

Ron

i put one of the MC Cruise kits on my 1150RT last year and it works great. The instructions are wonderful. The most tedious part is cutting the throttle cable and modifiying it for the box that allows the vacuum unit to control the throttle.

I bought an extra throttle cable and tywrapped it in place just in case I had a problems. 4,000 Miles later it is still in standby and has not been needed.

Great product and if you do most of your own maintenance, can use simple hand tools and read you should be able to install it over a weekend.

I bought an extra throttle cable and tywrapped it in place just in case I had a problems. 4,000 Miles later it is still in standby and has not been needed.

Sounds like a pretty good cruise control unit. I have been thinking of trying this myself, or even rigging up my own using one of the controllers for a car that costs only $69. i'm cheap grin.gif

As for the extra throttle cable....well to hook it up still means raising the gas tank to access the cable box. Nice to have a cable with you, but not much time saved by having it tye wrapped in place.

I'm waiting for somebody to figure out how to connect the Audiovox cruise control to the R11xxRT's throttle linkage.

It's a piece of cake for any bike that has solid linkage between the throttle bodies (K-bike, FJR1300, etc.), but I'm stumped by the all-cable setup of my RT.

The cable splitter that comes with the MC Cruise is a NICE piece, no mistake, but not worth 450 to 500 bucks to me.

Has anybody already done this?

Mark,

Yes, there are dealers in the US which sell the unit, but they won't install them or really provide any help in doing so. The fella' in SC was fantastic, but really couldn't help me in installation or providing any guarantees/warranties.

Hi Ron,

One of our reps mentioned this thread so I thought I should respond. As I think I mentioned to you we did a kit for the R1100RT and just haven't had a bike since to verify the details and write full instruction sets. The only issue is the actuator - but it fits easily up inside the RHS fairing to the rigth of the headlight - we just don't have model-specific photos. The wiring on this bike is straightforward being pre-CANbus and ABS 3 etc. Cutting the throttle cable is necessitated by the BMW cable splitter being UNDER the ABS if I recall correctly. That's about all I can offer. We do install these kits in about 5 hours. And believe it or not the price is fair. I would just like to refer you to our article re car cruise controls in case you want to go down the audiovox track - see http://www.motorcycle-cruise-control.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=22 . Your safety is our main concern - but it is in your hands. Regards, Tony smile.gif

I installed the Audiovox cruise on my '04 1150rt. Do a search on my past postings (ron c) to read the pros and cons.

Regards,

Round Rock, Tx.

Tony,

Thanks for yor reply. I have read the well written info on the MCC site and it makes sense to use a device developed specifically for motorcycles. With that in mind, I am wanting to steer away from having to engineer something myself (I'm no engineer) and I'd rather install something off the shelf designed for the bike.

Here's my reservation about the MCC unit for the R1100RT. It was apparently designed for the 1150, not the 1100, though some have successfully adapted it. The brake systems on these two bikes are different. Both are ABS and that's about where the main similarity ends. My wife's '04 R1150RS is servo assisted and linked, mine are neither. So what kind of complication will that create for installation of the 1150 model onto an 1100? I wish someone would develop something for the 1996-2001 R1100RTs because there are still lots of them around. If you take care them, these babies will run forever!

I don't want to go $500-$600 for a unit and find I can't get it to work for me with instructions for the servo assisted, linked 1150.

Has anyone in the Austin, Texas area tried putting one of the MCC units on a R1100RT?

Ron

One question I had about installing the cruise is hooking up the vaccume line. Can't you just hook it up to where you synch the throttle bodies? I would think that is plenty of vaccume for the unit. Am I wrong in assuming this? I am thinking about giving it a shot here in the next couple of weeks. We are going on vacation in March, so if I am not complete by then it will be April, but I am ready to give it a shot. I will try to take plenty of pics, and let you all know how it goes. Phil

Tony,

I'd be glad to bring mine in to you so you can develop a kit specifically for the R1100RT but obviously that won't work. I would have guessed that someone in Australia would have a R1100RT. Maybe someday you'll have a chance to rig one out on a R1100RT, write a set of instructions, and get the pics. I've heard you have some distributors over here. Maybe they could get hold of an 1100 and assist you in developing a kit and instruction package for the 1100. Just a thought.

Ron

ShovelStrokeEd

In terms of cruise control, the major difference between an 1100RT and an 1150 is the arrangement of the throttle cables. Shouldn't be too difficult a matter to swap out the later setup for the earlier.

The vacuum source can, indeed, be the taps for the evaporative cannister tubing. A small section of 1.5" PVC pipe, a couple of caps, a couple of vacuum hose barbs and a check valve from a fish tank should be all you need to make a reservoir.

I was not thinking of hooking up vaccum to the evaporative cannister, but to one of the ports on the throttle bodies that you sync the throttle bodies at. Would this not work, or could it adversly effect the throttle body sync? Phil

I was not thinking of hooking up vaccum to the evaporative cannister, but to one of the ports on the throttle bodies that you sync the throttle bodies at. Would this not work, or could it adversly effect the throttle body sync? Phil

The evaporative canister is connected to the sync ports, so it is the same place.

Andy

Archived