IGNORED

Rally Questions from Newbie

Volfan615

Purchased my first BMW this past fall and trying to understand all the Rallies. Is the UNRALLY associated with this form or is it something put on by BMWMOA? What does the UN in UNRALLY stand for? Sorry for all the question but I figured the only way to find out is to ask. Sounds like a good time and a great way to meet other BMW owners.

No problem newbie!!

First, the UN is for all bikes, although your BWM is an unheard of brand. Who made that one???? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

The UN is unique to this DB. UN generally means UNorganized as it is meant to be a focus on people as opposed to the traditional rally of vendors and organized time functions.

At the UNrallies, you meet, socialize, break bread, have a good time, hook up with some like minded types and go ride. At the end of the day, we all get together, lie, and have a good time. Tomorrow - Repeat!

That's it.

See you there! thumbsup.gif

First, the UN is for all bikes, although your BWM is an unheard of brand. Who made that one???? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

dopeslap.gif That's what I get for proof reading.

Thanks for putting the UN in unrally for me. Make sense and sounds like a fun time.

Anybody remember seeing this Phil guy at an Un?? lmao.gif

A well worded explanation Phil. Allow me to reiterate and expand a bit.

The Un is so named because it is not organized around vendors and events. Its theme is people and riding. We like to pretend that its very loosely planned but, in point of fact, it takes quite a bit of planning to ensure that the people/riding aspect of the Un is maximized and that we as participants get all the benefits of that planning without really being aware of it.

On a board like this, with members scattered all over the globe, we feel that it's important to have one big event each year aimed at getting as many of us as possible together in one area. Cyber relations are so much richer when you've met face to face, shared a ride, a hug and a handshake, told riding tales over coffe or a beer and broken bread together. Jamie and I have been to every one starting with the first in Gunnison, CO in 2002, Eureka Springs, AR. in 2003, Cody, WY in 2004, Staunton, VA in 2005 and back to Gunnison in 2006. Each trip has payed for itself many times over in experiences, friends made and warm memories.

The Unrally is the essence of the "on road" part of our community.

Hope to see oh so many of you there! thumbsup.gifwave.gif

Please try to come. I went to my first one last year and had a great time.

Even got a hug from Momma Hoon. thumbsup.gif

Didn't know a soul before I went but was warmly welcomed.

PS. Don't believe a word Whip says. He makes most stuff up. lmao.gif

What does the UN in UNRALLY stand for?

The UN part stands for the "United Nations" of BMW rallies, though we've even had a fair number show up on . . . shudder . . . Japanese bikes. eek.gif

Though I've been a participant here for a while, last year was my first "UN." Like the United Nations, no one's really in charge. Like the United Nations, a tremendous amount of work and planning go into the endeavor, but everyone still does what they want to anyway. And, as Mama Hoon so eloquently described, it's "un"commercial event, kind of like the United Nations, except for the part about payoffs to relatives of the Secretary General.

The numbers appeared last year to be fairly evenly split between campers and hotelers (not to be confused with hoteliers), and the UnRally is focused mainly on hanging out with old friends, meeting new ones, and riding the local roads in smaller groups. There may be a few routes that have been scouted, but it's really up to each person to decide when, where, and with whom he or she wants to ride. Most often there's a group get-together on one evening, with the focus being on the consumption of meat.

One thing I'll tell you is something that will stay with me until the day they unhook my respirator is this: there's a tremendous atmosphere of camaraderie and, dare I say it (?), love for one another (naah, not that kind of love). Lots of the folks who attend have met each other through this discussion board. Many go back years. And all embrace the new folks. Sometimes literally--hugs are a big part of the unatmosphere. Really, you can't begin to imagine what a great group this is--fine, fine folks.

By the way, neither this board nor the events planned through the board are part of the BMWMOA. We're much better looking. grin.gif And if you call it a "rally" again, we're gonna have to send someone around to have a talk with you.

Ride, ride, ride some more. Eat. Tell lies. Tell more lies. Sleep. Repeat.

As mentioned, the concept of the "un" in UnRally is for it not to be a traditional motorcycle rally at all. The focus is on riding and comradely, not games and contest and stuff like that. You'll never see, "Woman With a Dog Who Came the Furtherest Solo on a Bike Over 20 Years Old" award ceremonies at the UnRally.

As a matter of fact, the fact that we can't even seem to ever agree if it is; UNRally, UnRally, unrally, UN-Rally, or Un-Rally, seems to personify the gathering perfectly!

Thanks for asking this. This will be my first and I always thought it had to do with UNderwear. blush.gif I need to address my juvenile humor I guess. dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Lone_RT_rider
......And if you call it a "rally" again, we're gonna have to send someone around to have a talk with you.

That's the Chicago way! thumbsup.gif (insert mafioso image here)

/hijack

You'll never see, "Woman With a Dog Who Came the Furtherest Solo on a Bike Over 20 Years Old" award ceremonies at the UnRally.

I've never been to an Unrally before, but you never know. I went to my first Torry and saw someone receiving a blow up,

anatomically correct, sheep award. thumbsup.gif

See you at the Unrally this year!

I've been riding for most of my life, but it wasn't until I bought a BMW in 2000 that I discovered you could actually GO places on a motorcycle! smile.gif

Since then, and especially since finding this place, I've been to a few BMW Rallies, some from local clubs and one BMWMOA Rally in my short BMW SportTouring career. My very first rally was the Top of the Rockies Rally in Paonia Colorado put on by a few of the Colorado BMW clubs. For a regular motorcycle Rally this one is top-notch! Dozens of vendors, bikes parked on both sides of the street all around a four-block square 100+ year-old city park with HUGE old trees and EVERYONE camping on the grass. There were softball games and 10K runs and field events and seminars and tech demonstrations and pancake breakfasts and steak dinners put on my the local VFW and $1.00 beers and a rock and roll band that played all night long. The 1000+ bikes that lined the eight city blocks all around the park mostly never moved all weekend and it was a huge party that went all day and most of the night. grin.gif

That first one I attended was where I met my first smiling bunch from this place and we were all on our way to the first UnRally which was held in Gunnison, CO in July of 2002, right nearby . . . but after the weekend (a Rally held during the week? eek.gif ). The First UnRally was every bit as entertaining but in a totally different way. One of the biggest differences I noticed right off the bat, was that almost everyone (but us! dopeslap.gif ) RODE to the rally from as far away as Washington and the east coast! The first evening's pizza party appeared loosely organized by passing the hat and I met a bunch of amazing people--who talked of almost nothing else but riding! They talked about their bikes, their farkles, their trips, their favorite roads all over the country and their plans for tomorrow's rides. I heard route discussions that contained phrases like: "Well that's only a 250 miles loop. How about we go left here and then over these two passes and we can stretch it out to a 500 mile loop and be back just in time for dinner!" grin.gif

I was still not feeling well at the time and Leslie had only been riding for about a year so the next day we did a few small trips as our energies and skills permitted but the other thing we noticed was that unlike the Paonia Rally grounds, the UnRally HQ, a KOA campground, was a complete GHOST TOWN during the day! We walked around trying to find someone to talk to but they were all out riding! grin.gif

That evening was filled with warm and excited talk of everyone's rides, routes, recommendations, inflated tales of derring-do (aka "swapping lies" or "bench racing" which were a few of the new terms I learned that week), and "Man, you've got to check out this road!" or "Watch out for this corner over this pass." or "There's a speed trap just outside of this little town . . . don't ask me how I know!" smirk.gif

The next morning some had to leave early as they had 2000 miles to get home and the rest spent that day much like the one before with more of the same: riding, riding 250 miles for lunch and then taking the long way back to the HQ. It was a real eye opener for me as I had never been around such a hard-core group of touring riders that could also tear it up when they got to the twisty bits. They rode thousands of miles just to meet and break bread with cyber friends, to ride 100's of miles each day together, spend hours laughing and talking bikes and riding long into the night, and then ride a thousand miles back home. I guess it's these amazing bikes that make this idea such a relatively easy thing to do, but I am HOOKED!!! clap.gif

Leslie and I have since seen parts of this beautiful country we never would have seen otherwise. We've ridden amazing roads that God himself (with the help of the local DOT! grin.gif ) created on one of his better days, racked up ~100,000 miles on our own bikes, made life-long friends and shared the road with a hundred or more of some of the nicest, funniest, most generous souls it has ever been our pleasure to meet. In short it has changed and enriched our lives beyond measure--and it all started from such humble beginnings. As Leslie mentioned we've been fortunate enough to have attended all five UnRallies so far and I arrange my annual vacation around the UnRally. It moves around every time so we also get to see and ride a different part of the country each year. It is deftly UnOrganized by a different hard working group of volunteers from this Discussion Board each year who toil behind the scenes to provide the basic logistic needs so that the attendees are free to concentrate on riding and socializing.

Yes, I've been to a few BMW M/C club meetings and BMW Rallies and felt like an interloper, but the one thing that this group specializes in is making the newbie feel welcome and part of the family right off. Everyone is friendly and eager to share their love of riding and "sharing the love" of the sport. There are some here who have been members for years and who have cyber-relationships that go back for seven years or more, but since they live on opposite coasts (or even in a different country) they only get to see each other once a year if they're lucky. This may make a newbie want to feel like they're intruding on a private, closed affair, but it is NOT so! Just insert yourself into the conversation and introduce yourself--you may just find a bunch of new life-long friends. The only prerequisite is that you ride, love riding and you're not a complete dipstick . . . grin.gif . . . and you will be warmly welcomed into the fold. The membership here is incredibly varied, representing all ages and from all walks of life. You don't even have to ride a Beemer--you'll find more of us have branched out a bit over the years--but it's the quality of the people and the shared love of the sport that keeps us coming together to share that experience year after year.

And I'm getting so excited about this UnRally that I can hardly contain myself!!!! WHAT???? SEVEN MORE MONTHS??!!! Aaaaaaaaarrgghhhhh!!!!!!! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

The only prerequisite is that you ride, love riding and you're not a complete dipstick

How about two out of three??? eek.gifconfused.gifeek.gif

The only prerequisite is that you ride, love riding and you're not a complete dipstick

Bob, have you NOT been riding again?? I've talked to you about this before, now knock it off! grin.gif

And Bud, in case you didn't notice: I AM Excited Chatter!! lmao.gif

Well, if you have a wonderful, charming, lovable SO and bring her with you, you might get away with two out of three grin.gif

Bob, have you NOT been riding again?? I've talked to you about this before, now knock it off! grin.gif

Dear Abby,

I'm so excited about a motorcycle UN Rally next September that I almost wet my pants. It is all I can talk about, dream about, fantasize about. It has become a real problem because I have internalized it so much that I now think I'm more excited than anyone else.

What can I do to get thru the next few months?

Signed,

Mr. Excited Chatter

Dear Chatterbox,

I'm afraid there is not much hope. It may Depend upon your willingness to shop in the geriatric section of Walgreen's.

On the other hand, perhaps you will just talk yourself out and the symptoms will go away on their own.

I hope your wife owns a set of ear plugs so she doesn't have to listen to your endless prattle.

Glad I could be of assistance. Don't hesitate to ask for advice in the future though I don't know anything about the shortest route to W VA or any speed traps thereby.

Best Wishes,

Abby

The UN part stands for the "United Nations" of BMW rallies, though we've even had a fair number show up on . . . shudder . . . Japanese bikes. eek.gif

Though I've been a participant here for a while, last year was my first "UN." Like the United Nations, no one's really in charge. Like the United Nations, a tremendous amount of work and planning go into the endeavor, but everyone still does what they want to anyway. And, as Mama Hoon so eloquently described, it's "un"commercial event, kind of like the United Nations, except for the part about payoffs to relatives of the Secretary General.

One thing I'll tell you is something that will stay with me until the day they unhook my respirator is this: there's a tremendous atmosphere of camaraderie and, dare I say it (?), love for one another (naah, not that kind of love). Lots of the folks who attend have met each other through this discussion board. Many go back years. And all embrace the new folks. Sometimes literally--hugs are a big part of the unatmosphere. Really, you can't begin to imagine what a great group this is--fine, fine folks.

By the way, neither this board nor the events planned through the board are part of the BMWMOA. We're much better looking. grin.gif And if you call it a "rally" again, we're gonna have to send someone around to have a talk with you.

Mike, you're on quite the roll today, aren't you... grin.gif

Newbies, pay no attention to that sappy Jamie guy. He (and Mama Hoon BTW) suck you in with all that lovey-dovey stuff when you get there, then the next morning they both eat you for lunch in the twisties. Put them on two wheels and they're evil I tell you, evil!

And then what do some of us suckers go and do? Come back year after year for more of the same abuse! thumbsup.gif

Oh, hi Jamie, hi Leslie! wink.gif

Well, if you have a wonderful, charming, lovable SO and bring her with you, you might get away with two out of three grin.gif

-----

Yep!

That has worked for Joel! wink.gif

To the OP: hope to be able to meet you at an UN someday!

Heidi! Joel! You gonna be there? It was great to see you two at Gunnison last June!

79090625-L.jpg

I'm trying to find a way to work this event into a visit to a friend and my son's college graduation. My son goes to school at UND in Grand Forks, NoDak and graduates in early August. I WILL be there for that! My friend lives in Lexington, VA which is about 125 miles from the UnRally site! She is anxious to do a little riding and this might be a nice way to break her into the sport and introduce her to the community of people who make it such a joy. So, ride the RT out to see the boy, ride down to Lexington for a visit... (she lives 35 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway!). Leave the bike at her place, fly home. Work, pay bills. Fly back, do the UnRally, hug Les and Excited Chatterbox Jamie and others, ride back to Wyoming (it's only 2000 miles!). Hmmmmmmm........ clap.gifthumbsup.gif

I laughed when I read Jamie's comment about getting a BMW and discoverining you could actually GO PLACES on a bike! Yeah, man! I did about 18,000 miles on my Beemers last year! More, please!

I hope to see you all there!

Doug

I was still not feeling well at the time and Leslie had only been riding for about a year so the next day we did a few small trips as our energies and skills permitted but the other thing we noticed was that unlike the Paonia Rally grounds, the UnRally HQ, a KOA campground, was a complete GHOST TOWN during the day! We walked around trying to find someone to talk to but they were all out riding! grin.gif

Oh, so you were holding out on me, eh? Ya know, you could have come to visit me at the Days Inn. I got to hang out with the Hell's Angels all day while Spike was out riding.

(For those who don't remember or just weren't there, the hotel that Spike and I chose just happened to be the headquarters for a Hell's Angels rally that same week. blush.giflurker.gif )

Oh, so you were holding out on me, eh? Ya know, you could have come to visit me at the Days Inn. I got to hang out with the Hell's Angels all day while Spike was out riding.

Patti, thanks for letting Spike loose for that ride. He and I had one of my best rides in memory! thumbsup.gif

I'm so glad you asked about this!! I'd wondered the same thing ... but hadn't gotten around to asking anybody about it! dopeslap.gif

Still planning on attending the Spring El Paseo ... but if that falls through, I'll be trying to make the UNRally as well. wave.gif

Patti, thanks for letting Spike loose for that ride. He and I had one of my best rides in memory! thumbsup.gif

That is also one of the best memories I have ever had on a moto Paul. That was an unbelievable day. What do you say we do it again this year? Ill block out a day and we can do a Paul & Spike ride.

That is also one of the best memories I have ever had on a moto Paul. That was an unbelievable day. What do you say we do it again this year? Ill block out a day and we can do a Paul & Spike ride.
thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif But remember, I slowed down a lot since then! You gotta' know your (my) limitations!

OMG I completely missed this!!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Dear Abby,

I'm so excited about a motorcycle UN Rally next September that I almost wet my pants. It is all I can talk about, dream about, fantasize about. It has become a real problem because I have internalized it so much that I now think I'm more excited than anyone else.

What can I do to get thru the next few months?

Signed,

Mr. Excited Chatter

Dear Chatterbox,

I'm afraid there is not much hope. It may Depend upon your willingness to shop in the geriatric section of Walgreen's.

On the other hand, perhaps you will just talk yourself out and the symptoms will go away on their own.

I hope your wife owns a set of ear plugs so she doesn't have to listen to your endless prattle.

Glad I could be of assistance. Don't hesitate to ask for advice in the future though I don't know anything about the shortest route to W VA or any speed traps thereby.

Best Wishes,

Abby

One more question from another newbie:

Any preregistration required for the UNrally?

Generally that comes a bit later in the process. The best approach is to book your room/campsite as soon as possible, then watch this forum for further announcements about registration and other details.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

It's getting pretty quiet around here. Where is all that chatter from "Mr. Chatter"???? grin.gif

What's the matter, cat got your tongue? wave.gif

Hey,

It's getting pretty quiet around here. Where is all that chatter from "Mr. Chatter"???? grin.gif

Sorry, Bud!! I've been a bit preoccupied lately with my sweetie back in the ER with heart trouble (Atrial Fibrillation frown.gif ) secondary to her recent appendectomy! dopeslap.gif

I'm/we're still excited about the upcoming UnRally (and the Pied Piper Run out there! cool.gif ), but we're working on nailing down some loose ends around here. If I ever get caught up, I'll be right back in there "chattering away" with the best of them! lmao.gif

Thanks for the head's up. I'll try not to drop my end of the excited chatter again! thumbsup.gif

Is it August (or September! tongue.gifsmile.gif ) yet????!!!!!! grin.gif

I stay out of a thread for a few weeks, go back and check in and find out I've been call a liar by an empty can of beer.

What is this world comin to.....next thing ya know I'll be called slow by a city in No Cal. eek.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

All right, Bob! Now you're on "the list" as well! grin.gif

I can explain! I was just moving my bike to block that spot for the catering truck! tongue.gif

Hey,

Sorry, Bud!! I've been a bit preoccupied lately with my sweetie back in the ER with heart trouble (Atrial Fibrillation frown.gif ) secondary to her recent appendectomy! dopeslap.gif

I'm/we're still excited about the upcoming UnRally (and the Pied Piper Run out there! cool.gif ), but we're working on nailing down some loose ends around here. If I ever get caught up, I'll be right back in there "chattering away" with the best of them! lmao.gif

Thanks for the head's up. I'll try not to drop my end of the excited chatter again! thumbsup.gif

Is it August (or September! tongue.gifsmile.gif ) yet????!!!!!! grin.gif

Sorry, out of the loop. Didn't know about Momma Hoon's recent problems. Wish her the very best from me. thumbsup.gif

I stay out of a thread for a few weeks, go back and check in and find out I've been call a liar by an empty can of beer.

What is this world comin to.....next thing ya know I'll be called slow by a city in No Cal. eek.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

Hey, who you calling empty. grin.gif

Ya gotta start keepin up or people are gonna think you are just slow.

lmao.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Steve_Witmer
I don't know anything about the shortest route to W VA or any speed traps thereby.

Perhaps the most notorious speed trap in West Virginia, if not the entire country, is in Summersville, just north of Fayetteville on U.S. Hwy. 19. Revenue-motivated law-enforcement at its worst.

Apparently a similar level of enforcement occurs sometimes in Fayetteville itself (i.e., tickets written for only a few miles over the limit).

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/ste.asp?state=WV&city=Summersville

Egremont, MA just outside of Great Barrington and on the New York border. The speed limit through town is 30. Drive 32 and you'll get a ticket.

• 1 month later...

I am going to try to make it to the UNRally this year. thumbsup.gif

Hopefully, I'll figure out where the hell Fayetteville, WV is. Hopefully, it's not in West West Virginia because I'll never be able to explain that to my dog. dopeslap.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I will be up in the "UN" area over Memorial Day and was wondering, does anyone have a list of the rides/routes for the Un-Rally? I hope to make the "Un" also but not familiar with the area so any help re. rides is appreciated. Thanks!! wave.gif

Routes for the unrally are currently in the works,but will probably not be ready by Memorial Day. tongue.gif

I will be up in the "UN" area over Memorial Day and was wondering, does anyone have a list of the rides/routes for the Un-Rally? I hope to make the "Un" also but not familiar with the area so any help re. rides is appreciated. Thanks!! wave.gif

Try this site:

WV motorcycle routes

Archived