Throttle Body sync for 1200 RT

New1200RTRider

New1200RTRider

Could someone post the procedures for doing the TB Sync.

I was just reading a post about some people unplugging the stepper motors and some don't.

Thanks

Step 1. Decide whether or not you are going to unplug the stepper motors.

Step 2. Do what you decided in step 1.

Step 3. Adjust the right side throttle cable for best sync above idle.

Step 4. Reverse what you did in step 2.

Step 5. Ride, enjoy!

It's really that simple!

Ken is right, but for the people still uncomfortable doing it "blind", I am making a tutorial this weekend for how to do it.

I will post it when it is done.

Jim cool.gif

Ummm, can you please explain which nut does what on the cable? I did my 1150 20 times with no problem, but I can't quite make sense of the nuts on the 1200 throttle body. Thanks. grant-

When you do the sync above idle is there any recommended RPM you should sync at?

I pick my usual cruising RPM as that is where the engine spends most of its time.

When you do the sync above idle is there any recommended RPM you should sync at?
The 'official' procedure is just off of idle, 1500 RPM or so. The theory being that once the cables have started pulling open the TBs, that is all that matters. Other RPMs will follow. And doing it at lower RPMs does help avoid the overheating issue you have to watch so carefully when running a stationary boxer at high RPMs.

However as Andy mentioned, so people feel they get better sync by doing it at the higher RPM they most often cruise at.

Bottom line, try it both ways and see which results you like better.

The 'official' procedure is just off of idle, 1500 RPM or so. The theory being that once the cables have started pulling open the TBs, that is all that matters. Other RPMs will follow. And doing it at lower RPMs does help avoid the overheating issue you have to watch so carefully when running a stationary boxer at high RPMs.

Ken,

I've never heard the above before. Always do mine at 3.5k or so. Used cooling fans at first but do it so fast now that I don't bother with fans/never had a heat problem with the GS's.

The best way is to attach your twinmax to your tank bag and go riding at "criuse speeds" and observe your synch settings. That way you test at cruise speed, under laod, and have plenty of cooling. Plus you have an excuse to do more riding!

g-

And then you reach down and adjust on the fly?

Silly rabbit, those tricks are for kids!

Ride, observe, stop, adjust, ride some more, observe some more, repeat.

Archived