IGNORED

Have You Washed Your 'Stitch..

Gleno

Hate to ask something that may have been posted here but....

Have you?? Any tips?? Mine is 3 years old, and lookin' "buggie". It's time. I bought the waterproofing bottle from RiderWarehouse last week. Now it's time.

Again I ask...tips??

russell_bynum

Have you?? Any tips?? Mine is 3 years old, and lookin' "buggie". It's time. I bought the waterproofing bottle from RiderWarehouse last week. Now it's time.

Again I ask...tips??

I figured it was easier to just crash and replace mine than it was to wash it.

I washed mine just before a trip to Nova Scotia in Sept used the stuff recommended and had no problems even with three day in the rain during the trip.

ShovelStrokeEd

Go to an outdoor store and pick up some tent seam sealer and apply liberally around where the zipper joins the shell.

A couple of pairs of old tennis shoes in there while you tumble dry (no heat) will soften the sucker up some.

I also use a spray on pre-wash on the really grungy parts.

Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the armour. dopeslap.gif

use the add in waterproofer. use the recommended powder detergent. take out all pads. close velcro flaps, and wash alone or velcro will get stuff on it. i have high vis, and it got it cleaner but some of the grime along the ankles was too set in to get out. scrubbing might actually make it worse not better. i sprayed after with waterproofer as well

Rocket_Cowboy

I've washed my summer stich ... but not my winter stich yet.

What I did:

Remove the armour

Wash once with soap

Wash twice more with just water to make sure the soap is out.

Tumble dry low heat

Reinstall armour

I treat both stichs to Scotch Guard outdoor fabric protectant once a year. I use about a can and a half for a complete 2-piece suit. No problems with leaking at all.

I'm real curious to see how well my hi-viz jacket cleans up when I get around to washing it this spring.

Again I ask...tips??

Gleno,

Don't forget to Remove the amour before you wash it. Use a mild unscented laundry detergent then wash at least once in plain water. I prefer to let the suit air dray but if you are going to use the dryer use the air dry setting and no heat. The heat will ruin the hook and pile of the Velcro. I can not recommend NikWax. I have tried applying it very carefully and all it does is slow the water down but it does not waterproof the material, this is my experience. Use Scotch guard as suggested by others and use tent sealer along the seams of the zippers being careful not to get any on the zippers.

Cheers! smile.gif

Gleno, I wash my Darien 2-3 times a year using Nikwax Tech Wash in the washer on gentle cycle. Every 3rd wash I use the Nikwax TX Direct Wash In to help restore the fabric. 3years and it still has not leaked a drop!

Thanx for the tips. Time to put some to use.

It was recommended that I hang dry the thing. Benefits over drying, other than time??

Just got mine out of the dryer and hung up to finish drying. I had a small low side back in October from hitting an oil slick making a corner at an intersection in Dallas. Had quite a bit of oily residue on the left side. Used a pre-wash stain remover and a nail brush to scrub it before washing with two bottles of NikWax Tech wash. This was followed by a second wash with two bottles of NikWax TX Direct Wash-In to renew the water repellent coating on the cordura. After the second wash I hang it to allow as much water as possible to drip out and then run it through two air fluff (no heat) cycles.

Third time I've washed it and it comes out looking like new and has performed great in the rain every time.

YMMV

If you use your clothes dryer, do not use fabric softener. It will (after an estimated 76 washings) clog the pores of the material such that the DWR will no longer be able to protect the fabric.

I used Nik Wax products on my 2 piece as recommended by Aerostich, then sprayed the crotch with Scotch Guard. Haven't gotten wet yet...of course it hasn't really rained here in Florida for like a year and a half.

I have washed my Darien....many times. Take all of the stuff out of it and close all of the zippers and velcro. I use the Nikwax "soap", and an extra rinse cycle. Then I use at least one full bottle of the Nikwax water proof. Two bottles if I am doing pants also. Let it soak in the water proof for at least a half hour. Then spin dry. I put it in the dryer just long enough to get it warm. That supposedly "sets" the water proofing. I take it out and let it finish drying on the hanger. After it is fully dry I use Heavy Duty Scotchguard (or Camp Dry) on the shoulders and arms. Also on the crotch and knees of the pants. Well over 100k on the jacket, and the only problem is that the main zipper is wearing out, and the goretex lining is worn off in some areas. Even where the lining is gone, the jacket does not leak through in extenced rain.

Like others have said, I wash mine once a year with the Nikwax stuff and the Nikwax wash in waterproofer. It seems to work just fine and my 6 year old suit doesn't leak. The red is, however, starting to fade into some funky pink colour.

When I got back from Alaska, my Stich smelled so bad that my wife wouldn't let me hang it in the coat closet an more. Since I was washing it for the first time, I decided to wash it several times. I dried it on low with a clean sneaker.

Although I used the wash in "waterproofing" stuff, my Stich doesn't bead any water any longer.

I still think it's way better than new, now that it's been worn a few years and washed a few times.

Archived