IGNORED

Zumo mount

beemerFROG

Just got an email replay from Touratech sales that they are working on a LOCKABLE Zumo mount and hope to have something out in the next 1.5-2 months. thumbsup.gif

Just thought I would pass it along.

Lets_Play_Two
Just got an email replay from Touratech sales that they are working on a LOCKABLE Zumo mount and hope to have something out in the next 1.5-2 months. thumbsup.gif

Just thought I would pass it along.

The motorcycle mount that comes with the Zumo is lockable.

From what I have seen and those I have heard from it is not a substantial lock. I am talking about a robust locking holder like those Touratech currently makes for the street pilot series. Sorry for the confusion.

It comes with a security screw... and a matching screwdriver (with a non-standard sort of bit)...

But you can get a locking knob for the mount, inexpensively.

But, and its a big butt... the mount has a snap in/out feature so when you leave the bike, just take it with you. It continues on battery power up to 4 hours so when you go in for lunch, put it in your pocket.

If you feel you must leave it in the mount- put your Smith and Wesson baseball cap over it.

If you feel you must leave it in the mount- put your Smith and Wesson baseball cap over it.

Thank you Dirty Harry! grin.gif

Yes, I am aware of the security screw. No, I was not aware of the locking knob, thank you for that. I guess my point is being missed..The Touratech model has a key lock very convieniently placed on the top of the mount. Not only is it easier to access, but the unit is clearly identified to anyone looking at it as being secure and stocky being made of stainless steel and aluminum, not a form of plastic. Plus the current mounts have suspension built in. Now I know that is more crucial for the hard-drive based models, but I live in Chicago with Chicago potholes abound! Regardless of whether or not the Zumo needs the suspension, it is comforting to know that it is not taking as much vibration as my butt. And for the final reason to be excited, the Touratech mounts look COOL! clap.gif

I am not sure about the Zumo but the "security" screw on the cradle for the 2610 is nothing more than a standard looking torx screw. I haven't tried to match it up to my small torx screw drivers but I am guessing that the proper tool isn't too hard to come by.

With my 2610 I had to switch to a touratech mount because my GPS kept flying out of the plastic cradle regardless of how much I tightened the security screw.

It comes with a security screw... and a matching screwdriver (with a non-standard sort of bit)...

\

Lets_Play_Two
I am not sure about the Zumo but the "security" screw on the cradle for the 2610 is nothing more than a standard looking torx screw. I haven't tried to match it up to my small torx screw drivers but I am guessing that the proper tool isn't too hard to come by.

With my 2610 I had to switch to a touratech mount because my GPS kept flying out of the plastic cradle regardless of how much I tightened the security screw.

\

The Zumo is held in the cradle by a lever arrangement. The security screw is just that, security against being able to release the lever to remove the unit from the cradle. Certainly there are more substantial locks, but this does the job to deter casual removal and it is easy to take the unit out of the cradle and put it in your pocket.

That sounds like a better arrangement than the 2610 mount. I am going to have to get a closer look at one of these as I might want to replace my 2610.

The Zumo is held in the cradle by a lever arrangement. The security screw is just that, security against being able to release the lever to remove the unit from the cradle. Certainly there are more substantial locks, but this does the job to deter casual removal and it is easy to take the unit out of the cradle and put it in your pocket.

Archived