IGNORED

What can I expect to pay for shocks.

eddd

I've been reading all the post I could find on shocks for an R1100RT. Several posts mentioned sticker shock, but I never found any prices mentioned.

I located one source for stock shock: $250 front, $635 rear. Does this seem about average?

And if they are this high for stock, what can I expect for some of the aftermarket brands mentioned.

Thanks.

And if they are this high for stock, what can I expect for some of the aftermarket brands mentioned.

My well set up Wilbers were ~$1300 for the set.

There are several aftermarket brands available such as Ohlins, Wilber's, Works Performance Shocks, Fox, etc. Ohlins and Wilbers will run you about $1200-$1400 per pair depending on the setup. Not sure about Works or Fox but they would be close in cost I would imagine. In the used market these aftermarket shocks can go for $500-$1000 a pair but the big difference is that they can be rebuilt. Rebuild cost is approximately $100-$200 per shock. The OEM shocks on your bike cannot be rebuilt. The best advice I can offer is to do your homework, talk with your rider friends, figure out your best options, and get quotes from as many dealers as you can. I have seen some huge cost disparities from one dealer to the other.

I agree, do your homework. I went with the Wilbur's and I am very happy. I avoided the Parts Unlimited product because they treat local customers poorly.

I just checked out a price for a pair of OEM here in Canada they are $431 front and $1163 rear Cdn so at 1.18 exchange that is .. carry the one.. add ... multiply by ...$1312 US?

Why are we always getting ripped off?

No wonder I buy everything state side, oh and you have to add 14% sales tax to that too! bncry.gif

:RANT:

AND NOW Chicago BMW won't sell into Canada because sniff sniff they don't have enough people to go to the post office and sniff sniff ... give me a break! I buy in the states all the time, I sell to the states and all over the world! 10 minutes max on paper work once you've done one they are all the same. Send it collect, let me pay duties etc. Really T's me off!:/rant:

Hey Max or Bob guess what you get the business! With my thanks. clap.gif

I've been reading all the post I could find on shocks for an R1100RT. Several posts mentioned sticker shock, but I never found any prices mentioned.

I located one source for stock shock: $250 front, $635 rear. Does this seem about average?

Thanks.

Like you, I have an older RT. I just bought a set (front and rear) on EBAY from a wrecked RT with 1200 miles on it. Roughly $200 for both. I like the stock suspension, so no qualms about replacing with the same. Just keep your eyes open if a budget is on your mind. Also check Beemer boneyard.

Don_Eilenberger

:RANT:

AND NOW Chicago BMW won't sell into Canada because sniff sniff they don't have enough people to go to the post office and sniff sniff ... give me a break! I buy in the states all the time, I sell to the states and all over the world! 10 minutes max on paper work once you've done one they are all the same. Send it collect, let me pay duties etc. Really T's me off!:/rant:

Hey Max or Bob guess what you get the business! With my thanks. clap.gif

Max just sent out an email that mentioned they are more than happy to sell parts to people in Canada.. and since they seem somewhat competent - you'll probably even get the right part.
I just checked out a price for a pair of OEM here in Canada they are $431 front and $1163 rear Cdn so at 1.18 exchange that is .. carry the one.. add ... multiply by ...$1312 US?

Why are we always getting ripped off?

Primarily because we Canadians are by and large, sheep. Just look at the panic reaction that so many people have when the government lays out a plan for reducing taxes. Here in BC, when the present provincial government was first elected, their first action was to reduce provincial taxes. A large proportion of voters reacted on horror at the prospect of paying less taxes and whined and complained that this must not be allowed to happen.

Archived