IGNORED

R1200RT - Rewire Rear Accessory Socket Direct to Battery

Volfan615

I'm planning on wiring the rear accessory socket on my R1200RT direct to the battery for using a non canbus charger. Has anyone done this? Is it easy to trace out the wires? I guees I just need to trace them out and then crip lug connectors on the end for connecting to the battery?

Thanks!

Taking a little different route, I added a standard sized cigarette lighter socket and wired it directly (but fused) to the battery. I use is specifically for maintenance charging, but it is also around if I need to "borrow" some accessory from someone, and it doesn't have a powerlet connector. Like an air compressor from someone's car, or even one of those "lighter-to-lighter" jumper cables.

And my rear accessory socket continues to power down normally when I shut off the bike.

I placed this extra socket in the frame web above the left passenter peg. Crappy photo shown with yellow arrow pointing to install area.

Works for me,

Tom

803790-BlueRT.jpg.de166465bb9bd48f3142b84a91a32f27.jpg

I bought the socket from a John Deere supplier and ran wires from the socket to my Centech fuse panel which is wired directly to the battery.

FWIW, be advised that on my 2007 R1200RT the particular wiring harness that Powerlet supplied to tie the FRONT BMW socket directly to the battery did NOT match the connector on the back of the socket.

FWIW, be advised that on my 2007 R1200RT the particular wiring harness that Powerlet supplied to tie the FRONT BMW socket directly to the battery did NOT match the connector on the back of the socket.

Good info, Paco. It appears that BMW uses a couple of different types of connectors and that they have changed them on certain models over the years.

If you'll navigate to the page I linked to, you'll see that Powerlet shows, in photos, specifically which type of BMW connector works with their kits. They also have an application chart here. They note that BMW has used different connectors at different times, and suggest that you take a look at your socket to verify which type of connection you need. If a customer is at all uncertain, I'd suggest they call their customer service folks to ensure you get the right one. I've only bought one product from them, but they were very good about making sure that I got the kit I needed.

I just added one to the starboard/aft direct to the battery with the powerlet prewired kit, a no brainer, even for me...

I just snipped the wires at the plug and soldered new leads back to the battery through a fuse. Works great and I can revert to stock if ever needed.

Roger, Mike.

The Application Chart to which you refer is precisely the Powerlet chart I used to select the (PKT67-048) harness for my R12RT. Since the harness connector did not mate with the connector on the back of the socket, I presume that BMW changes the configuration of the socket without notice to aftermarket suppliers.

I do not know why the connector is not remained consistent between models.

I'm planning on wiring the rear accessory socket on my R1200RT direct to the battery for using a non canbus charger. Has anyone done this? Is it easy to trace out the wires? I guees I just need to trace them out and then crip lug connectors on the end for connecting to the battery?

Thanks!

If necessary, you can replace the factory socket with a compatible one from Powerlet. This requires removing the rear quarter panel where the socket is mounted. There isn't enough room to do the remove/replace without taking the panel off. Not too tough a job, though.

I just tried to pull the harness of the rear accessory scoket to make sure what I ordered today was correct but can't get it off. Is there a trick to removing them?

I've thought about doing that myself. It'd sure eliminate lifting the seat to access the battery for charging, meaning I'd be much more likely to charge the darn thing during this unsusually harsh winter weather we suffering through.

What I did was attach a pig tail to my battery. I routed it up the front of the seat and it is held in place by the pressure of the seat and the tank. It doesn't bother me when I ride and its always available for either my battery charger or my heated vest. Its cheap, easy and it works. If I am touring in warmer weather and don't think I will be using it I just tuck it under the seat.

I've thought about doing that myself. It'd sure eliminate lifting the seat to access the battery for charging, meaning I'd be much more likely to charge the darn thing during this unsusually harsh winter weather we suffering through.

I bought a second rear BMW socket. Installed it on the right rear panel (a little Dremel work required here) two female connectors from Radio Shack will allow a neat wiring harness direct to the battery. At a cost of $30.00 you can have switched power on the left and direct power on the right. thumbsup.gif Leon 05RT

The manual indicates the CanBus system could be damaged by a charger wired directly to the battery. It advises to disconnect the negative terminal before connecting a charger direct to the battery. Has anyone experienced any issues?

I suspect if an automatic trickle charger is used that does not produce more then 2A there would be no issue. With that said I would be careful not to use any part of the CanBus and ensure connection is direct to the battery.

The fellow how snipped the wires from the rear acc plug and connected direct to the battery should make sure there is a fuse of 10A or less on this circuit. This is a very dangerous circuit to not have fused.

Cheers

Quote:

"The manual indicates the CanBus system could be damaged by a charger wired directly to the battery. It advises to disconnect the negative terminal before connecting a charger direct to the battery. Has anyone experienced any issues?"

Quote:

I did the same thing; direct to the battery with SAE plug end and use it for Gerbings, etc...Also plug in small Battery Tender (750mA) now and then and have had no problem...

Will be interested in responses about any problems encountered charging that way......

Phil...........Redbrick

I have not heard of any problems and people have been doing this for a few years now (since the GS came out in 2004). I know there are even dealers who recommend this method over the factory charging system.

The manual indicates the CanBus system could be damaged by a charger wired directly to the battery. It advises to disconnect the negative terminal before connecting a charger direct to the battery. Has anyone experienced any issues?
No issues. All the BMW "special" charger hype is just that - hype to sell lots of overly-expensive chargers IMHO.

I mean, the battery is capable of supplying hundreds of amps onto the bike's systems for a few micro-seconds (an eternity for electronics) without damage, how is a little old measly 2 amp trickle charger going to harm anything?

On my 05 R1200RT I have been using a battery tender with the battery tender's wired directly to the battery. The connector fits under the seat and can be held in place using the connected cap. Do not have to remove seat to access plug etc. Have not had any problems with charging battery or CanBus system.

I have also added a set of hyperlight led stop and brake lights using the rear accessory plug for power without any problems.

Archived