IGNORED

A Full Test of the Dual Air Horn Setup

moshe_levy

All-

Perhaps with too much time on my hands this weekend, I finished up a full review of my RT's upgraded horn system, which now consists of 2 Stebel Compact 2-tone Nautilus Air Horns. The test is complete with decibel ratings of the before and after, as well as some stock vehicles for reference. There's a video file too so you can hear it for yourself. See http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rthorn.htm

-MKL

Impressive! Thanks for the insight. Curious, if only installing one of the horns, is using the supplied relay still suggested or is the BMW wiring and relay sufficient?

Very nicely written, Moshe.

Did you find that the larger horns interfered with the mounting of the PIAA 1100x lights? I ask because your PIAA 1100x lights are also located near the oil cooler. When I installed my 1100x lights (using the PIAA-brand mounting kit) the real estate right there was so crowded that I had to remove the stock horns temporarily (as per the PIAA instructions) to make room for the light installation, then I reinstalled the stock horns.

Impressive! Thanks for the insight. Curious, if only installing one of the horns, is using the supplied relay still suggested or is the BMW wiring and relay sufficient?

One horn can run on the stock wiring & relay - however, you are then powering the horn from the smallish 18 gauge wiring rather than from the 12 gauge. Using the stock wiring cuts the job time in half, though. Whether those extra few dBs are worth it is your call.

-MKL

Very nicely written, Moshe.

Did you find that the larger horns interfered with the mounting of the PIAA 1100x lights? I ask because your PIAA 1100x lights are also located near the oil cooler. When I installed my 1100x lights (using the PIAA-brand mounting kit) the real estate right there was so crowded that I had to remove the stock horns temporarily (as per the PIAA instructions) to make room for the light installation, then I reinstalled the stock horns.

My PIAAS are mounted on an ESY-shelf under the oil cooler. I did have to loosen the shelf to get access for my hands during the horn install, but after I was done, there was no interference whatsoever.

-MKL

Archived