IGNORED

1200RT handlebar vibration?

Dave_in_TX

For great heavy bar end weights go to hvmp.com

Do they make a set for the R1200RT? They don't show a set listed on their site.

Yes, they do. I have them on my '05 1200RT. You can call them but I'm sure it's the same as the '04 1150 RT due to them having the same handle bars.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Yes, they do. I have them on my '05 1200RT. You can call them but I'm sure it's the same as the '04 1150 RT due to them having the same handle bars.

What change did you notice when you installed them on your 1200RT?

I had that concern, but there was no problem on my 05 RT. The hex head screw does not protrude far enough into the grip to make contact with any of the electics.

Vibration problems? Annoying buzz really. But I did not like it. It is now mostly gone. Gone now (8,000 miles on bike) unless cruising at 80mph into headwind or cruising at something closer to 90mph under any condition. Otherwise gone.

Anyway, we were in the process of designing a complete handlebar isolation device that would take the place of "bar-backs" when an idea struck us. We decided to try it before we started machine work. This process reduces your metal to metal pressure points by approximately 85%.

First, go to an industrial supply house where you can by rubber gasket material. I used black 3/16" (softer type) rubber gasket material commonly used for making gaskets between metal flanges on metal water pipe. I choose not to use the type with cloth reinforcement due to its harder properties(much to hard). Other thicknesses of the softer may work just as good.

Next, go to a plumbing supply house and get those old rubber faucet washers you use to use to repair those old faucets with.

Using the rubber gasket material, cut gaskets to go between your triple tree and the handlebars. If using bar-backs, you don't need to put a gasket between the triple tree and the bar-back. Only between the bar-back and handle bars.

Next, the rubber faucet washers need to be reduced or "fitted" to the handle bar holes. Enlarge the hole in the center of the washer to fit snug around your handlebar bolt. Sand the outside of the washer to just fit inside the holes in the top of the handlebar without the bolt in it. I did this by pushing the washer on an OLD bolt, chucking it in a drill and touching it to a piece of sandpaper.

Guess what's next! Now, put the washer in the handlebar, the rubber gasket between the handlebar and the tree (or bar-back) and insert the bolt. Tighten slowly. Snug it to the point the bars have only minimal ability to move - then stop. You should have a little movement, but only just noticeable. You can get them too tight then the rubber gasket starts oozing out under too much pressure.

The major pressure points that transmit energy were always the entire bottom surface of the handlebar and the area just under the bolt head - now those are isolated with rubber. The thicker rubber faucet washers, when under pressure, expand to keep the bolts tight, to center the bolt in the hole, and under pressure - remains thick enough to isolate the bolt head pressure point. What little of the bolt shaft is touching metal to metal is insignificant. Again, the rubber compresses so hard against the bolts, you don't need to worry about them backing out - though I did watch mine for sometime afterward to check my theory. It tends to act like those lock nuts with rubber/plastic in them.

Guys -this works. It decreased my "buzz" in the bars by about 75-80% just after installation. Under 80, it was almost entirely gone except under hard acceleration. However, now with approx 8,000 miles on the bike, it is smoother now than before. Anyway, this is an inexpensive and simple method to reduce your buzz. Hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

What change did you notice when you installed them on your 1200RT?

It was better.

Guys -this works. It decreased my "buzz" in the bars by about 75-80% just after installation. Under 80, it was almost entirely gone except under hard acceleration. However, now with approx 8,000 miles on the bike, it is smoother now than before. Anyway, this is an inexpensive and simple method to reduce your buzz. Hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

I was sitting on a Victory the other day and noticed their bars were rubber mounted, but there was quite a bit of play in the bars. I didn't measure how much but just felt weird to me. Not sure if I would notice it while riding or not. Do your bars feel loose at all?

My bars do not feel loose. I have to push and pull pretty good to get noticable movement and I have to watch closely to see it. Under pretty good pressure, maybe a 1/4in total?

I can tighten it down further, but defeats the purpose. Can losen it more, and it does better. However, I like the present setting so I left it alone. This setting would be personal preference. Backing off another 1/4 - 1/3 turn would not hurt a thing. Just happy where it is. No weird feeling and people riding it don't even notice. They just comment on its smoothness. Handlebars still feel rigid.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived