IGNORED

Magellen Explorist XL

DonB

I am looking to move from a Garman Emap to a Magellen XL. Anyone use the XL and would like to comment? Specifically looking for info on how complete the basemAP is for secondary state routes.

Thanks

Don

Don:

I use a Magellan Meridian which is basically the same unit without colour and 1/2 the pixel count. The Magellan basemaps are not very good - frequently out by 100m or so, don't contain any POI or sideroads. The detailed maps in the MapSend software ARE pretty good. I have (essentially) all of the US and Canada on 2 1GB cards including hotels/motels, border crossings and state/national parks as POIs.

However, there are some pretty severe limits to the MapSend software. They are outlined very well at this site: Robert Lipe's collection of GPS-related technology . In summary, MapSend DirectRoute V 2.0 has pretty good routing capability but it is hard to use. It is inaccurate in distance estimation since it calculates direct distance from turn to turn and not land based. Also, your POIs don't show up until you are down to the 100ft/30m level so you can't see (say) hotels within one square mile and chose one from a few miles away.

Does the routing work? Yes, but you have to work at it. For example last summer I was travelling through Knoxville, TN and an overhead warning board warned of an accident ahead on the Interstate with only one lane open. I was able to reroute around the section of closed Interstate in 3 steps with new waypoints

Having said that, the unit uses standard AA batteries, standard SD cards, is waterproof, is small enugh to remove easily from the bike and will charge via the USB port and a car charger.

However, if I were starting from square one and wanted a similiar unit that could also route I would probably go with the Garmin GPSMap 60Cx or CSx.

Mike Cassidy

MikeRC,

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at the unit primarily for the display size and also for the basemap detail. I like to travel the secondary state routes and frequently look for the most squiggly way between point A and B in the general direction of travel. I am not worried about reroute as I do this myself anyway.

Can you download from Mapsend just the road info? I.E. just roads?

Thanks

Don

Yes, you can just make detailed maps from the MapSend software without POI if you want. The map would show detail down to the gravel forestry road or city sidestreet level. Any one file (with a hack detailed in the Magellan FAQs) can be up to 64 Mb which covers one crowded state (NY) or 4 midwestern ones. Then you alter the detail level of the map view on the gps to show larger or smaller roads at different zoom levels. Can't tell paved from gravel, though. At least not with DirectRoute V2.0 or Streets&Destinations 4.0

Basemap for Ohio goes down to state route level but the roads are "approximated" and tough to tell what is curvy and what isn't. Detailed map from MapSend can be quite "busy" at higher detail levels (but that is true on the small Garmins as well).

Mike Cassidy

Archived