IGNORED

Cee Bailey's vs Ztechnik V stream

Alt

I was looking at the hexhead thread about aeroflow Vs Cee Bailey's windshields. I have read good things about both the Cee Bailey's & the Z Technik windshields. has anyone had both a Cee Bailey's & z technik windshield on a R11xxRT? what are the pro & cons of these two different shields ? I guess that I need help with my purchase decision.

Seems to me, either or any windshield could be modified by use of turbulators or flow fences for better weather and noise protection. Anybody tried this, perhaps with tufts of yarn for testing?

The problem - seems to me - is that there are variables . . . your height, and riding posture, and seat settings, specifically . . . that affect the relative performance of any shield. I'm 5'9" - ride a low Sargent saddle and have used these shields:

Stock BMW: like it a lot . . . looks good and at about 3/4 up provides wind adequate protection on the highway without a lot of buffeting - rain protection is just so-so

CEE Bailey +4: just too tall for me. Full down position it was hard to see over the upturned lip. Full up was like riding behind a plate glass window . . . I like to see over the top of the screen

V-Stream: Just got one. Installed it a couple of days ago and took a test ride. Came home and wrapped the other screens in protective covers, put them in a box, and taped it shut. For me the vStream is perfect . . . a little taller and wider than the stock one, quieter, no buffeting and when I raise it to get the worst of the wind over my helmet, I can still see over the shield. I expect really good rain performance.

YMMV, but for me the VStream is the ticket.

I was originally set on buying the Cee Bailey Euro-cut, plus 3 1/2 or 4 1/2, based on the reviews that I read on this board. But then, the new Ztechniks shields came out, and I also read good things about them. My only concern is whether or not the ZTechnik would be tall enough for my application. I am 6'1" and ride with the seat in the middle position, and prefer looking over the screen rather than through it. I guess I am puzzled over my two choices.

V-Stream: Just got one. Installed it a couple of days ago and took a test ride. Came home and wrapped the other screens in protective covers, put them in a box, and taped it shut. For me the vStream is perfect . . . a little taller and wider than the stock one, quieter, no buffeting and when I raise it to get the worst of the wind over my helmet, I can still see over the shield. I expect really good rain performance.

Ditto for me (almost anyway - 5'9" and a Wunderlich Low Ergo seat on an 02 1150 and I went straight to the Vstream). The rain performance is outstanding - the rain will be swept up & over your helmet. Last time I was out in fact I spent 3 hrs in rain so the memories are fresh. (Only 3 weeks ago it was 70 degrees here...last week it was 0 crazy.gif)

Jim

I went to ZT's web site and they only list a windshield for the R1150RT and not the R1100RT. Will the shield for the 1150 fit the 1100 ? It also appears that you can only get the windshield from a BMW dealer. Are there any other sources?

Thanks..

I went to ZT's web site and they only list a windshield for the R1150RT and not the R1100RT. Will the shield for the 1150 fit the 1100 ? It also appears that you can only get the windshield from a BMW dealer. Are there any other sources?

Thanks..

I don't know about the 1st question but I got mine (1150) from cyclespecialties.com nary a problem.

Jim

I checked cyclespecialities site. Looks good and they are less expensive than CBs, $179. Not bad at all. From all I have read, I believe the Vstream is the way to go.

Sounds like you are having weather similar to ours. Had a great ride Saturday and now it isn't fit to go out doors.

I am 6'3", how will that work for me? There is only one size listed. It measures 17" tall. Where is that measurement taken from? Currently I have a C Baley on my other RT, it measures 17" from the top of the cut out at the bottom of the screen. I was going to replace the one on my 1150 with a CB, now a delima?...

I am 6'3", how will that work for me? There is only one size listed. It measures 17" tall. Where is that measurement taken from?
I expect it's the physical height of the screen (it's outside right now and only about 5 degrees so I'm not going to check for you smirk.gif When it's raised all the way there's a good bit over my eyes. I will check it tomorrow if no one has gotten you an answer before that.

Jim

In retracted state it is 17 3/4" from the top of the gas tank up next to the steering yoke to the top of the Vstream. Fully extended it is 5" higher at 22 3/4".

Hope that helps.

Archived