IGNORED

CAT Code plug

sonofdennis

OK, has anyone put a GS 1150 cat code plug on a RT 1150? Any advantages to doing something like that? I know about doing that with the GS Intake tubes but don't recall doing to a stock machine.

Alan

Is the GS plug "golden brown?"

I use one of those (home made) in my early '02 RT. I like it.

Make one yourself with a two-inch wire with a spade lug at each end. Use it to jump between the "30" and "87" terminals in the socket.

Look at the bottom of the (pink?) plug thats' there now. It has numbers that correspond to the socket.

Make one yourself with a two-inch wire with a spade lug at each end. Use it to jump between the "30" and "87" terminals in the socket.

I've been running like this for the last three years. The improvement is not huge (not as big as the anal valve and throttle body tune), but it is noticeable.

In my '02 RT, I tried the pink (standard USA), the olive green (standard GS) and then no CCP at all. By far the best result is without the CCP.

In my '02 RT, I tried the pink (standard USA), the olive green (standard GS) and then no CCP at all. By far the best result is without the CCP.

If you take the plug out completely the Motronic selects a default map which runs a lot richer. Does it pass emission controls OK?

I've had very good results with this solution for the past two years of mostly winter riding on my '02 RT-P.

Jim

John,

The R1150RT is (was) sold in Australia without the CCP and it meets local emission standards.

I think that the concern with some owners is that some damage will occur if ridden without it.

I think that the concern with some owners is that some damage will occur if ridden without it.
I have run my bike (1100RT) for perhaps 40k miles without the CCP, then installed a Power Commander with a richer map for another 10k miles, then removed the cat element (because I had a performance issue which I thought might be related to it being plugged or damaged.) Upon removal of the cat element there wasn't the slightest hint of visible physical damage.

Running richer than stock will definitely impact the converter's effectiveness in reducing emissions, but in my experience there doesn't seem to be much reason for concern about any physical damage to the cat that could affect exhaust flow.

Archived