IGNORED

Saddlesore 1000...........done

Firefight911

He doesn't know what ignore means till I get to Torrey. wink.gif

Talk is cheap!

Ignore to him means he won't be showing up!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

It was a dark and stormy night . . . eek.gifeek.gif

OK, not really but Snoopy started all his stories that way, so I wanted to do one that way too!!! grin.gif

Well, this SS1K had been in the back of my mind for quite a long time. Time, work, and life have done a really good job to conspire against getting it done so it just kept getting put off.

As some of you are aware I have been VERY focused at work for a very long time while striving for my much desired promotion to the rank of Captain. I came out #1 on the exam, etc. and have been working in a long term acting role as a Captain off and on since July of 2006.

I had my interview (one of the determinants for my lack of attendance to DV) and I came out of it feeling pretty good. I also retained a balance in my perspective so that I wouldn’t get too overly hurt one way or another, based on the outcome.

The candidates were told that we would find out the results of the interview on January 24. Hmmmm, I thought, what better way to either celebrate or re-center myself by doing my SS1K the next day? And so it was set. thumbsup.gif

And to answer the question, this was an SS1k for re-centering not celebrating!!! bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Originally, my beautiful bride, HOT Jamie, was set to do this with me. As is the way of the world, she was unable to secure time away form her to join me so I was on my own! Boo Hiss Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I had a mandatory Captain’s meeting at work on the 24th so I figured I would find out early on what type of ride the 25th would be. Ah, no!!! frown.gif They made us wait until after the meeting!!!!! 4:30 rolls around and the Chief lets me know. dopeslap.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

So I go home and Jamie and I do all the last minute prep work needed on the bike. Tires – Check. Oil – Check. Lights – Lights?????????? What do you mean the RID is telling me that tail light is out!!!??? It looks as though it is on to me? Recycle the key and it persists. Arrrrggghhhhhh!!!!! What is up with this. A little minor surgery to the tail light cover and VOILA!! A burned out low tail light. Hmmmm, looks like a standard 1157, let’s see if I have one lying around. Nope!!!! Hmmmm, I’ll just take one form the car or truck and we’ll be good. Nope!!!! Our 2 Dodges don’t use that type light anywhere on them. Hmmm, it’s too late to go to the auto parts store (around 930 – 10 PM). Oh well, looks like I get to ride with the RID yelling things at me for the day.

So, back together she goes. Hey honey, can you hand me the mini mag lite we were just using a minute ago? Thanks. Bzzzzzzzzzzsspprotjvpwaoiktpjsdg!!! The light just went out on it now!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!??!?!?

Get it all back together and to bed we go. Our third lights out of the night. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Alarm is set for 230 AM so I can be clutch out by 3 to 330 AM at the latest. Yeah, OK!! Let’s see, it’s warm and cozy here in bed thumbsup.gifwith my bride and I am going to go ride how many miles, in how much time????? dopeslap.gif Dragged my butt out of bed at 330 and got going.

I grab my start receipt at the local ATM – 416 AM start time, 0 miles. Let’s go!!!

Tank is full and I head off. Highway 50 west to I-5 South. Gerbing’s working great, grips on half, XM is blaring.

Huh??? 150 miles and I need gas? Oh, man this is going to be a long day. Had a total of 7 gas stops on the day. Once the speed goes up, the gas mileage goes down. That and ever since the dealer put v7 into the software the mileage has not been as great as it was prior to v7.

Gas stops are a bit laborious. I have to remove my tank bag. 2 clips, tank bag power lead, and 4 audio leads later, it is off. Gas up, reverse. Log the stop. Get receipt. Helllooooooo? Receipt please. I would pick the pump that is out of paper in the receipt machine. Run in grab receipt. I told Jamie I would call at every stop so she knew how I was doing and so she could keep the catcher (Leslie) apprised of my expected arrival time.

Stop 1

0611 AM

151.5 miles

39.33 mpg

Jumped back on I-5 south and sang. Wow, the acoustics in a helmet are good!!! I didn’t hear a thing. Definitely a good thing.

Watched a beautiful sunrise off my left on this leg.

By the time I got to my next stop I had turned the grips on scorch and maxed out the Gerbing. And I was STILL shaking and cold. What is up??? Struggled to figure it out until after I had gas in the motorcycle tank in Buttonwillow.

Ahhhh!!!! Because I stayed in bed a bit longer than I was supposed to, I had only had one cup of coffee and NOTHING else. Phil!!!!!! You are an IDIOT!!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif Even though I know better, I broke when of the cardinal rules here!!! I had not fueled ME!!!!!

I was wearing my Camelbak and was peeing at every stop but had no substance in me to keep me going. So, in the gas station and grabbed a cup of Hot Chocolate to spark off the fires within and followed up with a rather tasty egg, potato, and sausage burrito.

Within five minutes of my doing this, I felt great again!! thumbsup.gif I got lucky on this one and I was beating myself up over almost making a grave mistake. Learn from my mistake, don’t forget to put fuel in your own tank!!!!

Stop 2

0825 AM

301.6 total miles

150.1 leg miles

36.88 mpg

After spending the next 15 minutes beating myself up I shook it off and pressed on. Let’s see, there was road, trucks, more trucks, and then there were some trucks. That is about all there was to report from Buttonwillow to my next pee and gas break in Oceanside.

OK, I did some lane splitting as I approached and passed through Lots Smogeles. Reminisced about when I lived in S. Cal while in the Marine Corps (MCAS El Toro is now gone, old skate rink I used to go to every once in a while, uh, I just drove through it on I-5!!!!! Wow, construction is never ending around here.), racing and working in Long Beach for Vance & Hines, hanging in Laguna, my part time job while in the Marines at Wherehouse records in Mission Viejo Mall and Costa Mesa Plaza, etc.

Stop 3

1132 AM

507.0 total miles

205.4 leg miles

45.54 mpg

In Oceanside, I called up Mama Hoon and told her to order the pizza!!!! I was right on time for lunch. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Rolled into Mama Hoons about 1215 PM to her having just received the pizza. She was on the phone with Hot Jamie, my bride. How cool!!!!!!!!!!!! I smooched Jamie on the phone and then got to hang with Mama Hoon while Nerdy Jamie was at work!!! Buuuuhhhhwwwwaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Ah yes Jamie (Nerdy), we had a great time while you were stuck at work!!! Lots of great conversation, laughter, etc.

Leslie and Nerdy Jamie have been quite involved with my Captain journey so it was very nice to be able to talk with Leslie about this as she understands, having her own Hubby in the fire service. It is a unique industry, to say the least.

At this point, I had realized that no matter whether I finished in the prescribed time or not, this ride’s mission had already been served. I was centered again after the disappointment of the previous day. I was rejuvenated, alive, happy, spirited. smile.gifsmile.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Those of you who know what this kind of a ride does for the soul understand. Those that don’t, I hope you find a way to capture this ethereal, spiritual cleansing that riding provides.

After hanging with Leslie and Maggie (the resident pooch) for about 90 minutes I got rolling again. Afterall, I came this far for pizza and a lightbulb and, by God, I shall have my lightbulb!!!

Refilled the Camelbak and off I go for a whole 2 more miles to San Diego BMW. I take my helmet off and walk in to the parts department and explain my circumstance and parts need. The two parts guys were just cracking up!!! “You came all this way for pizza and a lightbulb??????”

Stop 4

225 PM

545.5 total miles

38.5 leg miles

no gas but I got a lightbulb!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, it was obvious that they were in on it and had seen this sort of thing before. We shared for a couple minutes and I was off.

Jumped back on the freeway and realized the ride home was not going to be nearly as easy as the ride down.

Why???? Two words – Lane and Split!! bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

Arrrrggghhhhhhhhhh!!! I ended up lane splitting about 85% of the time all the way from San Diego until I passed through Glendale, north of Lots Smogeles.

Full focus on the job at hand!!!! XM – OFF. All attention to my surroundings. Man, I haven’t split this much traffic for this long since, . . . . . . . . well, since I lived here in S. California. That’s right!!!!!!!!!! I moved away from here for a reason!! This was one of them.

Saw 2 rear end traffic collisions on my way through all that traffic. Watch the front wheels, who is on the phone, who is reading, who is changing their clothes, who is . . .

You get the picture!!! eek.gif

Made it through and landed in Castaic for dinner, fuel, and some much needed relax time off the bike!!!

Called Huzband, MattsVstrom, Bakerzdosen, 2bmwfan, and BeniciaRT_GT while chomping on my Carl’s Jr. chicken sandwich and diet coke. Didn't call Whip as he said he was oput of town on business.

Stop 5

513 PM

704.5 total miles

159 leg miles

46.9 mpg (adjusted to incorporate stop 4 for total tank miles)

After ANOTHER pee, I mount up and march on, back in darkness now.

Nothing major happened during this leg. More bad singing, the smell of truck brakes on the Grapevine, and more bad singing!!!!

Stopped and pee. Gas up the bike in Coalinga. Grabbed some more hot chocolate. Mmmmmm, that’s tasty!! thumbsup.gif

Stop 6

757 PM

863.3 total miles

158.8 leg miles

38.45 mpg

Off again. Boy, it’s dark. Hmmm, bump up the grips and Gerbing a bit. That’s better. Oooh, I know the words to that song!!!!! Blah, blah, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Hee, hee. lmao.giflmao.gif

Head is down. The focus is on potential critters. I am thinking of home and my wife and the ride complete.

Wow, I am going to do it. The feeling of pride wells up a bit. I don’t allow it to well up more than a trickle. I am not there yet. There are still miles to ride, hazards to avoid, songs to sing.

As I pass through Stockton, the GPS clicks over – 1 0 0 0 miles!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifI yell through my helmet. I punch the sky. I press on knowing that I have crossed over from motorcyclist to rider.

I think of my next shift at work, having coffee around the table during crew change. “So, would did you do on your 4 day?” I respond, “Who, me?? Oh, not much. Just rode the bike to lunch . . . . . . IN SAN DIEGO!!! And then I rode back. All in the same day. Yep, they got gooooooooood pizza in San Diego.”

Get to Elk Grove and pull in for my last stop for gas. WOW! I can really feel it now. I am warm, happy, at peace with the bike, the road, myself, and the world.

I think how it is that the world just lost some size to me. Huh, I am thinking of riding to Florida JUST so I can kick Huzband. I think I’ll just ride back home after doing that!!! Piece of cake!! And definitely a job in need of doing!!!

Stop 7

1034 PM

1037.9 total miles

174.6 leg miles

38.54 mpg

Pee AGAIN!!!! On the bike and home bound. DO NOT forget that last receipt, do not forget that last receipt, do not forget that last receipt.

Over and over in my head, I keep repeating it.

I pass through Sacramento. The lights are so vivid, clear, bright. The air so crisp, clean, fresh.

Just so I can feel a bit more in touch with the outdoors, I shut the Gerbing and grips off. I turn off the XM. I just listen to the road, the motor, the air rush past. I feel the cool air creep in as the Gerbing cools off.

I am ALIVE!!!

Drive on up to my exit in Diamond Springs and go to the same ATM as the one that saw me off this morning. I smile as I insert my card and withdraw another $20 so I can grab that all important last receipt.

Stop 8

1129 PM

1089 total miles

51.1 leg miles

I log in on my journal and head home.

As I pull into the driveway, my beautiful bride rushes out to greet me. I am about five feet above the ground and she just can’t stop me from babbling. clap.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.giftongue.gifdopeslap.giflmao.gif

We sign off my log. It is done, and it is good.

As I write this and reflect on what happened I realize that this ride really had nothing to do with the mileage, the destination, or the license plate frame I earned. What it had to do with was the journey. This was a journey for me to reflect on my life. It’s past, present, and it’s future.

I found a peace on this ride that had been absent for quite a while. Work had overtaken me, I had lost my zeal for the new day’s challenge. I realize that if it had not been for my beautiful bride, I would have gone nuts a long time ago.

I’ve been back to work for a couple tours since this ride and it is as fresh now as it was while doing it. I am much calmer. I can cope again. I am happy.

Oh, almost forgot!!

Total time: 19 hours 13 minutes

Total miles: 1089 miles

Overall average speed: 56.57 mph

"Moving" or Driving average speed: 74.3 mph (per GPS)

Overall mpg average: 40.94 mpg

Hey Phil- Attaboy clap.gifclap.gif

That license plate frame will look good on that ST.....around September....

Be patient my son.....good things come to those that wait. Is taking around 6-7 months for a ride cert from IBA....but it is definitely worth the wait!!

Interested in a BB1500 in May? cool.gif

You called me first? Be still, my beating heart!!! lmao.gif

Sooo many points in that tale I could rip you on, but I won't. This is your moment to shine, so, fleeting as it may be, enjoy it while it lasts. grin.gif

Congrats on not only a great ride, but moreover, a SAFE one.

You certainly had your challenges. Glad none of those accidents were yours.

Guess I better get-r-done before Torrey, just so we'll have something to talk about around the camp fire. kumbaya.gif

P.S., No singing allowed !!!

Good Job Phil. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gifclap.gif

Maybe 1 day I will try that... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Looking to do my first official SS in March. I'll be visiting my parents in the Orlando area while they are vacationing and then plan to ride down to Key West for kicks. I figure since it's about 950 miles from Key West back to Winston-Salem that I should just deviate my path a bit and stop into Knoxville on the way home. That should add a couple of hundred miles and leave me with a nice ride back accross I40 to my destination.

Glad you navigated the LA freeway without mishap! thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Ahhhh!!!! Because I stayed in bed a bit longer than I was supposed to, I had only had one cup of coffee and NOTHING else. Phil!!!!!! You are an IDIOT!!!! Even though I know better, I broke when of the cardinal rules here!!! I had not fueled ME!!!!!

I was wearing my Camelbak and was peeing at every stop but had no substance in me to keep me going. So, in the gas station and grabbed a cup of Hot Chocolate to spark off the fires within and followed up with a rather tasty egg, potato, and sausage burrito.

Within five minutes of my doing this, I felt great again!! I got lucky on this one and I was beating myself up over almost making a grave mistake. Learn from my mistake, don’t forget to put fuel in your own tank!!!!

Ah yes...that's familiar. A few years ago, I loaded up on the RT and rode from SoCal to the Texas Hill Country in day to suprise my Mom on her birthday. I had something for breakfast, and had a burger for lunch in Wilcox, AZ, but then I went about 10 hours where I consumed nothing but Red Bull. eek.gif It wasn't a conscious decision...the wind across the desert was incredible and it was really wearing me out. My brain was in "Keep the sidestand up" mode, so I'd roll in, get gas, grab a nasty Red Bull, chug it, hit the head, then get back on the bike and roll. I wasn't even thinking about food.

At Sonora, TX my quarter ran out, and I crashed hard. I got gas in the bike, moved it away from the pump so I could go hit the head, and as soon as my helmet came off, I felt like I was going to collapse. I dragged my ass inside and slumped into a booth inside the station. It was probably 10 minutes before it occured to me that the last time I had anything to eat was 600 miles ago. And the fact that I had been working my ass off fighting that crosswind just made it worse.

I was so hungry that I almost threw up when I tried to eat. Finally I got some crackers or something. Of course, that was like priming the pump...once I started eating and got a little bit of energy, then I got REALLY hungry.

After 30 minutes or so, I felt fine and finished the rest of the ride.

Lesson learned: Don't be a dumbass. smile.gif

Those of you who know what this kind of a ride does for the soul understand. Those that don’t, I hope you find a way to capture this ethereal, spiritual cleansing that riding provides.

Indeed. I have to be in a particular mood to enjoy droning on for hours on the slab. I'm not in that mood often (which is why you will often see my bike crossing the desert on a trailer rather than under its own power), but when I am, there's no substitute for time in the saddle. I do that sort of ride alone, and I generally don't even like to talk to people along the way any more than I have to. It's just me, the bike, and the horizon ahead of me.

As I write this and reflect on what happened I realize that this ride really had nothing to do with the mileage, the destination, or the license plate frame I earned. What it had to do with was the journey. This was a journey for me to reflect on my life. It’s past, present, and it’s future.

I found a peace on this ride that had been absent for quite a while. Work had overtaken me, I had lost my zeal for the new day’s challenge. I realize that if it had not been for my beautiful bride, I would have gone nuts a long time ago.

I’ve been back to work for a couple tours since this ride and it is as fresh now as it was while doing it. I am much calmer. I can cope again. I am happy.

Good stuff, there. I've typed it before, and I guess I'm typing it again, but I'm still captivated by how thumbing the starter button can be like hitting the reset button on life.

Kudos for the accomplishment, made all the better by the insight and peace you gained. thumbsup.gif

Since we missed each other at Torrey, I'm looking forward to meeting/seeing ya in Texas in a few weeks. wave.gif

Great Job Phil!! It was a good read. I dont know about a 1000 in a day but I do plan on taking a 6000 mile round trip up to Canada and back next summer for some soul searching.

...and I forgive you for not stopping by in Btown for dinner. thumbsup.gif

Wow, Phil. A "Ride Tale" actually worth waiting for! grin.gif

Congrats on the ride and on coming out on the other side with the political challenges behind you and your focus on the job at hand. The residents of the city you serve don't know how lucky they are to have someone of your caliber looking out for them! thumbsup.gif

I'm sorry I was WORKING when you showed up to have lunch with my wife . . . . eek.gif

BTW, as HotJamie will confirm, I am "CoolJamie" not "Nerdy Jamie", please update your records. Thank you. tongue.gif

And to Matt and Danny: a quick check on Google maps shows that it is about 1,066 mi (about 16 hours 18 mins) from JAX to San Antonio, TX. Hmmmmmm doesn't THAT sound PERFECT!!! Plus, I know a certain someone in San Antonio who would probably be more than happy to sign off your paperwork--in fact, if you time it right, you might be able to have a whole mess of us "Best Coasters" there to sign off your paperwork. Perhaps you've heard of this awesome ride that EricR, Limecreek and the rest of the kickass Pie Town Crew have been UnOrganizing for the last few years: The Texas Hill Country Ride?? grin.gif

(Oooh, is that a glove?? I think that's a glove I see on the ground there . . . yeah, right over there . . . in FLORIDA!! lmao.gif )

Congrats on the ride and on coming out on the other side with the political challenges behind you and your focus on the job at hand. The residents of the city you serve don't know how lucky they are to have someone of your caliber looking out for them! thumbsup.gif

I'm sorry I was WORKING when you showed up to have lunch with my wife . . . . eek.gif

BTW, as HotJamie will confirm, I am "CoolJamie" not "Nerdy Jamie", please update your records. Thank you. tongue.gif

Once again somebody in San Diego is a victim of incorrect thinking. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

IT IS NERDY JAMIE.

End of discussion

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Once again somebody in San Diego is a victim of incorrect thinking. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

IT IS NERDY JAMIE.

End of discussion

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Say my name............

(Oooh, is that a glove?? I think that's a glove I see on the ground there . . . yeah, right over there . . . in FLORIDA!! lmao.gif )

And in the classic tone of Monty Python . . .

"I fart in your general direction you Florida pig dog swine!!"

Hmmm, let's have a looksee . . . YEP!!! That was DEFINITELY a glove.

Nerdy Jamie, I really don't think they are capable, willing, OR able!!!! wave.gifwave.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

"Is that a glove I see?"

king2A.jpg

"No, tis a gauntlet!"

"Prepare to repel Nerds"

treb1.jpg

"Dispatch my knights posthaste to the Royal racecourse"

_40975288_melandri_2_203.jpg

this ride really had nothing to do with the mileage, the destination, or the license plate frame I earned
ooo.gif

Relax, Phil, I'm just yankin' your chain. Congrats on the ride. Now, don't obsess about the certificate. It will take a while. Oh yeah, that's not important anyway. I forgot.

lmao.gif

this ride really had nothing to do with the mileage, the destination, or the license plate frame I earned
ooo.gif

Relax, Phil, I'm just yankin' your chain. Congrats on the ride. Now, don't obsess about the certificate. It will take a while. Oh yeah, that's not important anyway. I forgot.

lmao.gif

Yea, whatever!!!! eck15.gif

And in the classic tone of Monty Python . . .

Hmmm, let's have a looksee . . . YEP!!! That was DEFINITELY a glove.

Nerdy Jamie, I really don't think they are capable, willing, OR able!!!! wave.gifwave.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Keep it up Potato Head, keep it up.

lurker.gif

Hey hose-puller, for the love of god, don't. Geez, I'm getting caught in the cross fire here! Damn it, somebody light a match or something lmao.gif

Keep it up Potato Head, keep it up.

lurker.gif

I'm touched! You noticed.

fighting0054.gif

Oh my! What would Mr. Rogers say about you two? eek.gif

As Nerdy Jamie says - 'twas a ride tale worth waiting for.

Congrats! thumbsup.gif

I'm thinking of doing an SS1000 to Torrey this spring. Last year JoeG and I went straight through - about 850 miles. It wouldn't be that much more work to make an SS1000 out of it.

Archived